LB is dead

Edward Dotson

Feb 26, 2020, 3:08:02 PM2/26/20
to LibraryBox
Judging by the low numbers on this list and lack of response, I can only assume the project and board are dead. Too bad, it was a good idea.

Linda Barwick

Feb 26, 2020, 4:20:25 PM2/26/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
It is sad that librarybox project is no longer active. The good news is that quite a few of us are continuing the good work using raspberry pi. Here is a link showing how PARADISEC (digital archive of pacific languages) used librarybox in the past but is now using raspberry pi (follow links in the comments).

http://www.paradisec.org.au/blog/2018/07/local-wifi-versions-of-paradisec/

Sent from my mobile device - please excuse brevity and typos

On 27 Feb 2020, at 6:38 am, Edward Dotson <dotso...@gmail.com> wrote:

Judging by the low numbers on this list and lack of response, I can only assume the project and board are dead. Too bad, it was a good idea.

Mariana Z.

May 15, 2020, 8:50:16 PM5/15/20
to LibraryBox
For anyone interested, there is the MAZI project http://www.mazizone.eu, an alternative to LB that is built on open source software and hardware, mounted on Raspberry Pi.

It was an R&D project within the framework of the European Horizon 2020 Research Programme.

I have personally used in my museum and curatorial settings the Piratebox, the Librarybox and currently using the MAZIzone.

It works fine and comes with useful interfaces. Its mailing list is also running and supportive. Some interesting papers exploring the concept of local networks in relation to MAZIzone have been published. I found particularly interesting the term of "conviviality" as a condition to inspire the use of local wireless networks.

T Gillett

Jun 21, 2020, 11:02:05 PM6/21/20
to LibraryBox

Hi All

It certainly seems from the lack of traffic here that the LB project.
No comment from the project originator Jason Grifney does not bode well.

I am posting in a similar vein to Linda, Mariana et al  to see if there is any interest in pursuing a LibraryBox replacement based on similar low cost hardware to what was used for the original project.

What I mean is a simple wifi micro-server device rather than a RPi or similar single board computer which have greater capabilities, complexity and cost.
So what I have in mind is a simple static web content server, essentially the same as LibraryBox.

We have the possibility for making such a device available at around $20US plus memory card / USB, so something less than $40US with 64GB memory card.
The hardware already exists in production, and is essentially built for this sort of purpose and project, rather than being a repurposed, low-end proprietary commercial router.
There is an organisation already set up to manufacture and sell these (and many other) devices with worldwide shipping.

I have built up a library of content based on the Open Education Resources (OER) content and we have deployed several hundred of these devices over the last few years into educational environments.
The library is currently 42GB in size.  I have attached a couple of files showing what the splash page looks like.
The library can also be used directly from a USB in a PC, or transferred to the hard disc on a PC.

The firmware for a wifi device is already available from another project, although we would tweak it a bit for this exercise. It is similar in principle to the LibraryBox firmware, but a bit simpler to get going.

Obviously all this can be put together in an ad hoc manner for individual projects (as I have been doing for a few years), but it might be helpful if a hardware supplier can provide a ready-to-go device at a reasonable cost, complete with library content.

If there is any reasonable amount of interest I will approach the manufacturer to see if they would be prepared to offer the device ready to use.

Regards
Terry

T Gillett

Jun 21, 2020, 11:07:52 PM6/21/20
to LibraryBox

Attachments of the index for OER library content.

oer-menu.html
OER-Screen.png

tgil...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2020, 8:18:37 PM11/4/20
to LibraryBox
Hi All

We have been doing some work on a Digital Library Project designed to provide a simple classroom wifi router with a library of locally stored Web content to enable students to access the material without the need for an Internet connection.

Hopefully this might provide a viable replacement for the LibraryBox firmware.

Attached is a brief outline of the project. More documentation is available for download.

I have posted beta firmware for testing here:

Firmware is available for GLiNET devices including AR150, AR300M, MT300N-V2,  TP-Link MR3020, MR3040 and WR842, and Dragino MS14 / HE based devices.

Please post back if you are interested in this project, and if you have a chance to test the firmware.

Regards
Terry

Digital-Library-Intro.pdf

Edward Dotson

Nov 5, 2020, 2:20:02 PM11/5/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
This is something that I am interested in using. Going to test it.

David Gutierrez

Nov 5, 2020, 2:56:40 PM11/5/20
to LibraryBox
Thank you for all the hard work it's taken to get to this place. I'm going to try it on the GLiNet routers when I get the time.
Yours,
David Gutierrez

Linda

Nov 5, 2020, 4:03:37 PM11/5/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
I’m interested and will let you know if we have someone who can test the firmware

<Digital-Library-Intro.pdf>

T Gillett

Nov 5, 2020, 4:31:25 PM11/5/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

Thanks for the responses.

We have included the TP-Link MR3020 and MR3040 devices because there have been a lot of these devices used previously for LibraryBox and similar projects. However they have very limited flash memory capacity, and so are not recommended for new purchases.

If buying new devices, look for the maximum RAM capacity and CPU speed as these will improve performance. Several devices provide 128MB RAM now.

We will add firmware for the GL-iNet AR750 device shortly. This device has both 2.4 and 5GHz wifi capability.

Regards
Terry

T Gillett

Nov 19, 2020, 3:14:13 AM11/19/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

The Digital Library Ver 1.0 software is now available as follows:

Firmware
    http://download.villagetelco.org/firmware/digital-library/releases/Ver-1.0/

Documents
    http://download.villagetelco.org/firmware/digital-library/documents/Released/Ver-1.0/

Source
    https://github.com/villagetelco/digital-library

Feedback welcome.

Regards
Terry

T Gillett

Nov 19, 2020, 3:29:43 AM11/19/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Joseph Longshak

Nov 19, 2020, 4:21:34 AM11/19/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
I am interested in testing it here in Nigeria where there are few libraries, poor internet connectivity and electricity. I want to find if there is a search functionality/search engine that enables users to search across all the digital library content. Like VuFind https://vufind.org

Joseph Longshak

Nov 19, 2020, 4:41:53 AM11/19/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Also, our NGO is working with secondary and primary school teachers developing  OERs based the Nigeria school curriculum to add to the digital library if it is possible. Funding has been our main challenge prevent the kick-off. Grants for such projects are scarce in Nigeria. We'll be happy to get suggestions on how we can get funding...

Best regards

Joseph Longshak

T Gillett

Nov 19, 2020, 5:15:34 AM11/19/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joseph

Thanks for your email.

There is no search engine as such in the DL as there are not sufficient CPU resources for this. So you can't search across the whole body of content.

Some of the modules we have put in the default library do have their own built in search facilities.

The DL is essentially just a web server for static content (much like a real library, except each book can be read by many users at the same time).

Any processing of content that is required is done "client side" I.e. by the browser. The Khan Academy and PHET content are great examples of this approach.

If full content search is a mandatory requirement, you will need to use a more elaborate system like the IIAB project running on something like an RPi4, with attendant cost and complexity.

The DL devices are quite low power, typically 200mA from a USB power pack, so you can get many hours running from even a small pack.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Terry

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "LibraryBox" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/librarybox/CABScS3aRTE%3DX81PXh__6HSjw5dVquixPzJGkpPVuFQWM8%2BFSgA%40mail.gmail.com.

T Gillett

Nov 19, 2020, 5:31:04 AM11/19/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Joseph

The only advice I can offer regarding content development is to use technologies like PDF and HTML5 so that it can be served easily and rendered on any device.

Regarding funding for educational content development, you might look at sites like ICTWorks.org where grants are regularly promoted.

Regards
Terry

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "LibraryBox" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/librarybox/CABScS3b_bg3pbk8%2ByLyRQiLULOAP1t1Zw6JHPMN%2Bq_WH1YX0yw%40mail.gmail.com.

Ben Ostrowsky

Nov 19, 2020, 12:28:38 PM11/19/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
I looked into the hardware options with an eye for what people might want to buy if they don't already have a compatible device, and here are my observations:

It looks like the TL-WR842ND is only available from resellers now, and Amazon tried to suggest a WR841-based device that I presume is not compatible. (Is it?)

The TP-Link N150 (TL-MR3020) also seems to be available only from resellers, and has cheaper competition.

The TP-Link N150 (TL-MR3040) looks way overpriced for a 2000mAh built-in battery when you can get a much better battery and cheaper.

The Dragino MS14 and Seeed Yun are much more extensible hardware if you plan to, say, develop your own weather station hooked up to a router.

The GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext looks like the only option with microSD, two external antennas, and 2.4GHz/5GHz bands, and it's cheaper directly from GL.iNet ($52.49) than it is from Amazon.

But if you're buying a microSD card, the SanDisk "For Nintendo Switch" 128GB (about $26 from Amazon) has the best random read/write speeds, which matters for OS performance more than camera or gaming use. Comparable microSDXC cards tend to optimize for camera use.

On the other hand, the GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2 is a bright eye-catching mango yellow color, and the lowest priced of all the ready-to-flash hardware ($20.49). So anyone wanting to get started and use their own USB thumb drive would probably prefer that one.

Joseph Longshak

Nov 19, 2020, 1:00:08 PM11/19/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your response, We will explore all these possibilities/options.

Best regards

T Gillett

Nov 19, 2020, 4:43:25 PM11/19/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben

Just to add to your comments...

1. DL Firmware is available for:

- Gl-inet
MT300N-V2,  AR150, AR300M, AR750

- Dragino
MS14/HE devices

- TP-link
MR3020, MR3040, WR842

- SEEED
Seeeduino Cloud Yun

The TP-link devices are legacy devices due to their limited memory, but have been included because there are lots of them in the field. They are not recommended for new purchase.

The MT300N-V2, AR300M and AR750M have 2x2 MIMO WiFi and 128MB RAM and so are the most the powerful.
AR750 has SD Card slot and 5GHz WiFi as well.

2. My preference is to use SD cards with a USB adapter rather than USB memory sticks for the main library.

We have found that the larger USB memory devices are problematic in field usage, with even quality brand name devices failing and running hot.

We have found that the 'ordinary' SD cards rated at 80 and 100 Mbps work quite well, and these are available for $10 / $20 for  64 / 128 GB devices from reputable manufacturers such as Sandisk.

Remember also that for storage efficiency you need to reformat the memory device to a 4kB block size in ext2 or ExFAT.

Regards
Terry

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "LibraryBox" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/librarybox/CABHGvGmiQT-PqPbRN4bs1av6shBGiqpJvtWD0hjV9AqeHnjP2g%40mail.gmail.com.

T Gillett

Nov 20, 2020, 3:43:11 AM11/20/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

Attached draft document outlines hardware options for current Digital Library firmware.

Feedback welcome.

Regards
Terry

Digital-Library-Hardware-Draft-01.pdf

dotso...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2020, 4:01:25 PM11/24/20
to LibraryBox
getting ready to test. does the sd card need to be in the router(GL-AR150-ext)in order for boot to complete? Thanks to all.

T Gillett

Nov 24, 2020, 4:49:00 PM11/24/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
The device will boot fine without the Library memory installed, and you will see a dummy home page.

If you instal USB memory with some files on it, you will see the files listed.

If you include an index.html file, that will be used as the home page.

Regards
Terry

T Gillett

Nov 25, 2020, 5:13:32 AM11/25/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joseph

You might be interested in this edition of ITCWorks which covers Educational Technology Innovation Awards:

Regards
Terry

T Gillett

Dec 14, 2020, 2:22:57 AM12/14/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

I have posted a draft User Guide for Assembling Digital Library Content to assist with the process of creating a digital library.

The document can be downloaded here:

Feedback welcome.

Regards
Terry

T Gillett

Dec 14, 2020, 2:24:23 AM12/14/20
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

I have posted a draft User Guide for Assembling Digital Library Content to assist with the process of creating a library.

The document can be downloaded here:

Feedback welcome.

Regards
Terry

T Gillett

May 10, 2021, 10:28:14 PM5/10/21
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

We have posted some updated firmware for the Digital Library project.
The Ver 2 firmware provides some upgraded facilities around the web server and networking.

The Ver 2 firmware is only available for devices with 8MB or greater Flash memory, so you will notice a limited range of devices compared to Ver 1.
The Dragino MS14 Duo (aka MP02 AWD) dual radio device is now supported along with the MP02 Basic device, and a range of low cost devices from GL-iNet.

Firmware is available for download here:

Documentation is available here:

If you have the opportunity to try out the Digital Library firmware please respond to the mail list and let us all know about your initiatives.

Regards
Terry

David Gutierrez

Linda Barwick

May 11, 2021, 1:08:14 AM5/11/21
to libra...@googlegroups.com
yes, thank you very much!

Sent from my mobile device - please excuse brevity and typos

Edward Dotson

May 11, 2021, 8:43:21 AM5/11/21
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Happy day, I've been looking forward to this!

Edward Dotson

May 11, 2021, 10:39:17 PM5/11/21
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Where can I find data to add to my Library Box?
Thanks to all.

T Gillett

May 12, 2021, 4:43:38 PM5/12/21
to libra...@googlegroups.com
One of the best collections of digital library material is at :

Also the e-Learning for Kids website has a whole program of material that is available for download on application.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "LibraryBox" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/librarybox/CAGhTDJR1ORBKkWtkC5eJSc40hD6NCfGyM3M8xvA%3DTA1wY5fLdg%40mail.gmail.com.

tgil...@gmail.com

May 31, 2021, 11:13:56 PM5/31/21
to LibraryBox
Hi All

We have posted some test firmware for the Digital Library devices to add a Mesh WAN facility here:

The main purpose of the Mesh WAN mode is to wirelessly share an upstream network connection between a number of DL devices.

If you have a number of DL devices you can set them to Mesh WAN mode, or Mesh WAN GW mode (on the Network config page) in order to link the devices together and share an upstream network connection e.g. for Internet access. Select the required mode and click on "Save&Apply" button to activate it.

One device needs to be set to Mesh WAN GW mode as the Gateway. This device is then connected to an upstream router via its Ethernet WAN port to provide the Internet connection.

This Mesh WAN GW mode device will then share the upstream connection with all the other DL devices set to Mesh WAN mode via a simple 802.11s WiFi mesh - each DL device will be assigned a WAN IP address by the upstream router.

Details of the mesh network operation can be seen on the Network Status page.

If you are interested in this facility, please try it out and let us know how it goes.

Regards
Terry

tgil...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2021, 12:48:29 AM10/22/21
to LibraryBox
Hi All

We have posted an updated Digital Library firmware Version 2.3 to this URL:
And updated User Manual here:

This version contains the Mesh WAN addition and also a remote access facility using Remote.it.
This allows you to access the administration web screens  and the command line securely over the Internet so you can look after a device in a remote location.

Enjoy.

Feedback welcome.

Regards
Terry

Roy Blumenthal

Oct 26, 2021, 4:27:14 AM10/26/21
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry...

Just visited the download site, and have looked at the PDF document.

Looks really cool!

Except there doesn't seem to be a list of the router devices one can flash the library software onto. Also, the banking convention for the flash files isn't really human-readable. So it's impossible to guess which hardware to use.

Would it be possible for you to add such a list? Or, if that list is actually there somewhere, to maker it easier to find? And  to change the file names to make it easier to work out what goes where?

I've got an old TP-LINK lying around waiting to be deployed. It's still got the Library Box firmware installed. So I wouldn't mind having a go at flashing your firmware.

Thanks for doing this stuff. I loved the Mesh Potato video, by the way. Very lekker!

Blue skies
Roy

ROY BLUMENTHAL
Sketchnoter / Visual Facilitator / Graphic Recorder
Illustrator, Writer, Director
Biz Coach to Creative Professionals

Mobile: +27 74 104 6386

The Drawing Monkey -- Helping People See What You Mean -  https://wke.lt/w/s/9hVyQ8

Email: royblu...@gmail.com
Site: http://royblumenthal.com
Illustrations: http://flickr.com/royblumenthal

As a live, online and offline digital sketchnoter, I literally help audiences SEE what you mean. I draw visual interpretations of the things speakers talk about in conferences, workshops, and meetings.

In real-time. As they speak.

While they're talking, my live pictures are appearing on-screen, helping audience members to engage fully with the material, and bringing the speaker's message to life.

Think of me as a live, interactive addition to PowerPoint.

To book me, please feel free to call or WhatsApp me on +27741046386, or email royblu...@gmail.com.

T Gillett

Oct 26, 2021, 5:32:01 AM10/26/21
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roy

Thanks for the feedback.

I will look at adding a brief list of supported hardware in the User Manual for easy reference.

There is a Hardware document included in the Ver-1 document collection.
The Ver 1 documents are located here:

The Hardware document lists the devices that are supported:

If you have the TP Link MR3020 device left over from the Library Box project, you can get Ver-1 Digital Library firmware for it here:
 Look in the folder labelled MR3020.

Note that the MR3020, like other legacy TP Link devices, is only able to run the Ver 1 Digital Library firmware due to limited memory on these devices.

Ver 1 firmware supports all the core functions of the Digital Library, Ver 2 adds some optional features and uses a more flexible web server module.

To run Ver 2 firmware you will need later model devices with more memory, such as the GLiNet AR150, MR300N-V2, AR300M, AR750
These are low cost devices that will allow you to implement a high performance Digital Library for around $50 including 64GB of library content storage.

Regards
Terry

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "LibraryBox" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/librarybox/CA%2BYqBAKbbQbUHaz6T6hRZ8Dikqobfd0YXx3rS%3DwY10ZNSDckUg%40mail.gmail.com.

Roy Blumenthal

T Gillett

Oct 27, 2021, 4:46:43 AM10/27/21
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

I have updated the Digital Library User Manual to include a list of supported hardware devices.

The updated document can be downloaded here:

Regards
Terry