RE: 2.0 install on MR 3020 takes forever, doesn't complete - now wifi is off?

Liz Paulus

Apr 8, 2014, 6:55:46 PM4/8/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi all - newbie here from PDX. Have been checking librarybox.us, openwrt.org (+wiki) and this group, and am stuck in my reflashing of an older MR3020 (v1).

Current status of box is: Tried to reflash with 2.0 an older MR3020 (v1). Seemed to update firmware via Failsafe/ethernet > telnet to 192.168.1.1, but seemed to hang at "rebooting...." then "connection lost with host". When I rebooted the MR3020, the wifi never turns back on.....?

Please forgive if this has been answered before, or if I bricked the box in missing something vital. Thanks for your comments - Liz / PDX

My scenario is very similar to a recent one titled  "2.0 install on MR 3020 still going after 40 minutes" (March 4) ---But, my folders were all OK (FAT 32, no other files, right firmware....) The MR3020 (V1) that I have in hand was on librarybox version 1.x -- I got it from @nnschiller; it was his original box. He told me to reflash it since it was ancient.

Detailed list of actions here:
-- Was not able to connect to MR 3020 via ssh, nor regular web browser - used librarybox.us/problems page for commands
-- Connected using the Failsafe/ethernet telnet option as listed on wiki.openwrt.org for this device; http://wiki.openwrt.org/
-- Reflash commands seem to run, then Command Prompt changed to "rebooting...."; device rebooted, but wifi never came on after that, and WPS button flashes for a long time. If held down, it will go solid, but wifi is off.
-- Reflash to current firmware for model seems complete (from here: http://librarybox.us/v2/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory.bin - shows "Attitude Adjustment ver 12.09.1 v39154, v0.1)
-- Can't connect to SSID, wifi is disabled
When I plug it in , the ethernet port will work if activated, and the WPS light blinks, but wifi never goes green at all.
I just looked at the USB drive for the most recent attempt to do the install, and it had a new folder "external_fs" which contains two files: OpenWRT, and OpenWRT - Swap file.  Perhaps it got hung half way through?
Deleted that folder, and rebooted box with USB in, for "install" --- WPS light flashed for a bout a minute and is not steady, no other lights on but power. minutes later, no change, no SSID showing. Unfortunately, I'm not a command line wiz -- mostly all new to me.

--------------------------------
I've already reformatted the USB drive twice (FAT 32 - no other files - checked "install" folder to see if it was the only thing...

Jason Griffey

Apr 8, 2014, 8:07:35 PM4/8/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

What's in the install folder on the USB?

Jason

Liz Paulus

Apr 9, 2014, 1:01:08 AM4/9/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the quick response -
The Install folder on the USB has, after the firmware process has run:

OpenWRT.img.gz
librarybox_2.0_img.tar.gz
auto_package_done
(those three modified 2/16/2014 9:35 am-9.47 am)
and
cache folder with 67 items, all modified 2/16/2014 either 9:19 am or 9:47 am

The fresh Install folder, just unzipped, holds the same files.

The install zip file is named: install_librarybox2_0 / size 10, 289 kb

Any thoughts? Thanks for all that you do :-)

Liz Paulus

Apr 9, 2014, 1:07:07 AM4/9/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Addendum - last night I let the MR3020 stay on all night, in that "rebooting" mode, where the wifi doesn't come on.
And, the USB has a new file on it: an apply_config.log file. That's new...
The text of the apply_config file is pasted below.
FYI - I'm using a Windows 7 laptop to set up the USB drive/and downloads.

-------------------------
apply_config.log file from overnight process - 4/82014
---------------------------------------
Available modules:  openwrt_ssid openwrt_txpower openwrt_channel openwrt_hostname piratebox_hostname librarybox_ftp librarybox_ftpadmin librarybox_ftpanon librarybox_ftpsync librarybox_ftpsyncport librarybox_shoutbox
Working on openwrt_ssid
Getting SSID of iface-0 via uci
Getting SSID of iface-0 via uci
Working on openwrt_txpower
Getting txpower of device-0 via uci
Getting txpower of device-0 via uci
Working on openwrt_channel
Getting channel of device-0 via uci
Getting channel of device-0 via uci
Working on openwrt_hostname
Getting system-hostname via uci
Getting system-hostname via uci
Working on piratebox_hostname
Extracting HOST parameter from /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf
Extracting HOST parameter from /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf
Working on librarybox_ftp
Extracting FTP parameter from /opt/piratebox/conf/hook_custom.conf
Extracting FTP parameter from /opt/piratebox/conf/hook_custom.conf
Working on librarybox_ftpadmin
Extracting FTP-admin parameter from /opt/piratebox/conf/ftp/ftp.conf
Extracting FTP-admin parameter from /opt/piratebox/conf/ftp/ftp.conf
Working on librarybox_ftpanon
Extracting FTP-Anon parameter from /opt/piratebox/conf/ftp/ftp.conf
Extracting FTP-Anon parameter from /opt/piratebox/conf/ftp/ftp.conf
Working on librarybox_ftpsync
Extracting FTP-Sync parameter from /opt/piratebox/conf/ftp/ftp.conf
Extracting FTP-Sync parameter from /opt/piratebox/conf/ftp/ftp.conf
Working on librarybox_ftpsyncport
Extracting FTP-Sync port  from /opt/piratebox/conf/ftp/ftp.conf
Extracting FTP-Sync port  from /opt/piratebox/conf/ftp/ftp.conf
Working on librarybox_shoutbox
Extracting SHOUTBOX parameter from /opt/piratebox/conf/hook_custom.conf
Extracting SHOUTBOX parameter from /opt/piratebox/conf/hook_custom.conf
<eof>

Matthias Strubel

Apr 9, 2014, 8:28:14 AM4/9/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
The install folder should be "directly" on the usb-stick that the
struckture looks like

<usb stick>/install/cache/
<usb stick>/install/auto_install

try to rename the auto_package_done back to auto_package and do a reboot
that might help
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/librarybox/7e211545-6921-40c7-97ae-49c29fe659e0%40googlegroups.com.

Liz Paulus

Apr 9, 2014, 11:39:47 AM4/9/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com, kurven...@googlemail.com
M - thanks for the poke re: the folder names. Missed that.
I cleaned out the USB drive, and loaded a new copy of the install folder and firmware.
Powered up, and left for an hour. Same result as before, with identical .log file (as cited above.)

Just realized that USB drive is only 1Gb. Shall I try it with a larger drive for more swap space, et al? WIll try that later, but doubftul that's it.

I'm wondering if it's a brick-sorta situation, since the wifi is still off . I'm reading this full page on the wiki, http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe. to get an idea of what's next.

Under the "Failsafe Mode" section, one suggestion is to mount_boot and clean the JSSF2 partition (mount_boot, then firstboot or "mtd -r erase rootfs_data)....I'm very much a noob, so I'm grasping at straws here.

Liz Paulus

Apr 10, 2014, 1:56:21 AM4/10/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com, kurven...@googlemail.com
Update: no improvement. Started process over with different larger USB drive, new LibraryBox 2.0 release candidate.from the "Problems" page (librarybox.us). Finished flashing, powered down, removed USB, put on new /install folder, put back in MR3020 and powered up. Power light comes on, and WSP light flashes continuously, but no other lights come on.

If I power down more than 45 minutes later, the USB has the following file/folder structure:
/external_fs/ with two files openwrt (disc image file) and SWAP
/install/
/install/auto_package
/install/librarybox_2.0_img.tar.gz
/install/OpenWRT.img.gz
/cache/[67 files inside]

The wifi SSID never becomes active, and I can only access the MR3020 via failsafe telnet.

Any advice on how to resurrect this, or is it bricked permanently? Just wondering if I should leave it, and wait for my kickstarter boxen to arrive when its ready (but miss the opportunity to demo a box for a state library conference next week.)I'm persistent, but am not versed in openwrt enough to know where to go next.

Thanks for any advice - and thanks for all you do for open projects such as this.

- L

Chris Hamling

Apr 10, 2014, 2:55:56 AM4/10/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com, kurven...@googlemail.com
Hi,

Can you try these steps. They worked for me.
1/ TP-LINK off
2/ Blank USB stick
3/ Put new firmware ONLY on USB
4/ Put USB into TP-LINK
5/ Set IP address of hardware interface on PC to 192.168.1.2
6/ Visit the OpenWRT wiki and find the Failsafe boot option for the router in question.
7/ Follow the failsafe instructions to be able to log in to the router via a Terminal program.
8/ telnet into router
9/ do " mount /dev/sda1 /mnt cd /mnt/ mtd write -r YOUR_FIRMWARE_NAME_HERE firmware"
10/ Once the firmware flash finishes (give it a while 10mins) , power down the LibraryBox and put the USB back into your computer.
11/ Erase everything from USB
12/ Download the install folder, unzip, and copy it onto the root of the USB drive.

13/ Put the USB back into the router, and power it back up. The install process should now kick off, and in about 10 minutes and a lot of flashing lights, you will have a LibraryBox v2.0 ready to go.

It seemed to me that the two steps were necessary to do a complete re-install. I think that leaving the firmware on the USB puts the beauty into a loop.

Liz Paulus

Apr 10, 2014, 12:09:43 PM4/10/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com, kurven...@googlemail.com
Thanks Chris! I wondered about that. I'll try that next and will report back -- Thx
Message has been deleted

Liz Paulus

Apr 11, 2014, 10:39:27 AM4/11/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com, kurven...@googlemail.com
Hi - last post removed because when I booted it this morning, the wifi is back on with LibraryBox as the SSID.
Thanks for getting me this far.
Now I'm trying to get the default web page to boot - tried several browsers after connecting to SSID, but no success yet.
I'll do more searching for answers here before I post again. - thx

Jason Griffey

Apr 11, 2014, 10:44:17 AM4/11/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Is the browser attempting to redirect? Giving a specific error?

I'm fairly confused about what could have gone wrong, as it's usually a smooth process. :-/

Jason

Liz Paulus

Apr 11, 2014, 11:21:42 AM4/11/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for checking in :-) It's been a bit baffling, but I'm persistent.
Last night I tried reflashing a couple times using Chris' scenario, and the wireless just wouldn't come back on, so I gave up.
This morning, I decided to plug it in, and voila! Wireless and SSID are up.

But, when I try and connect, I don't get a webpage.
I've tried on Windows 7 (Firefox, Chrome, and IE11), Mac OSX 10.5 (Safari, Chrome and Firefox), and my iPhone 4 Safari (OS 7.1).
And, what I get is:
Wireless point is apparently active and connected.
If I open a browser, it tries to load the default page (google), and says " Server Not Found" or in Chrome "Unable to connect to the internet"

Would reinstalling the "Install" folder be a good path?

Liz Paulus

Apr 11, 2014, 11:30:42 AM4/11/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
To be more specific:
Using Chrome 33 on Windows 7 (all History cleared)
When I try to open Google.com, I get
Unable to connect to the Internet
Error code DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

I am not using a custom DNS, my IP address is dynamically assigned (switched back after failsafe)

Hm. For what it's worth....
I'll be enroute to work and checking later this morning if you have any suggestions. - Liz
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Liz Paulus

Apr 11, 2014, 12:14:21 PM4/11/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi - deleted a couple posts to consolidate comments.
Current status of this install:
--- MR3020 wifi SSID is visible and active *without a USB drive inserted" (I started today by booting up without a drive inserted, and wifi worked)
--- If the MR3020 is rebooted with the Install USB inserted, wifi does not activate, WSP and drive activity lights flash continuously for many minutes

The current state of the Install drive looks like this
/external_fs
/external_fs/OpenWRT
/external_fs/OpenWRT.swap
/install
(in install: cache / auto_package / librarybox_2.0_img.tar.gz / OpenWRT.img.gs)
/LibraryBox
/LibraryBox/pbIMG_ws

There is no /LibraryBox/Shared folder, and /install/auto_package has no "Done" in its file name.

I was thinking about leaving this 3020 and USB plugged in all day to see if the install would "complete".
But that seems crazy too.
Any thoughts on how to start over, or tweak to get it to actually serve up the content. It seems so close ....

Have a sunny day.

Matthias Strubel

Apr 11, 2014, 12:54:16 PM4/11/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Sounds like the installation wasn't completed , because the dhcp server isn't coming up properly.

Mmh...

On 11 Apr 2014 17:49, "Liz Paulus" <lgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
J -

I just went back to look at my Install USB drive (which was running last night).
And, the folder structure is not complete.

The current state of the Install drive looks like this
/external_fs
/external_fs/OpenWRT
/external_fs/OpenWRT.swap
/install
(in install: cache / auto_package / librarybox_2.0_img.tar.gz / OpenWRT.img.gs)
/LibraryBox
/LibraryBox/pbIMG_ws

There is no /LibraryBox/Shared folder, and /install/auto_package has no "Done" in its file name.

shall I try and reinstall the Install package? thx loads

Jason Griffey

Apr 11, 2014, 12:58:40 PM4/11/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, it sounds like the install got interupted.

I would try re-copying the install folder, fresh from download, onto the USB. Replace what's there, make sure the install folder has all the contents in it on the USB, and then re-power the router. The install SHOULD kick off again.

Jason

Matthias Strubel

Apr 11, 2014, 1:03:49 PM4/11/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

I'm not sure if that is enough.
If the LibraryBox package is marked as completely installed, that won't help much, because the package manager is the opinion he already has installed that package.

Jason Griffey

Apr 11, 2014, 1:05:02 PM4/11/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

That's true. So a full re-flash, starting from scratch?

Jason

Matthias Strubel

Apr 11, 2014, 1:15:02 PM4/11/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Due to the fact, that Liz already did 2 million reflash , mh.

Liz, can you please set your notebook  to a static IP like in failsafe mode, connect via wire, telnet into the box, then run:

mv /mnt/usb/install/auto_package_done /mnt/usb/install/auto_package
box_installer.sh

Then watch what happens

Liz Paulus

Apr 11, 2014, 3:05:33 PM4/11/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com, kurven...@googlemail.com
Hey, guys/gals, it's working now.
For some weird reason, by plugging it in this morning, and letting it run for 2 more hours, on reboot the install completed.
I've got it visible, working and loaded on phones, laptop, and iPad.
Who knows why that install kept taking ForEver. (10 minutes, hah. Thanks, Chris, for your suggestions. That's what made it happen, just at a glacial pace.

I think I'm Good. J - I'll send pics of librarybox teeshirt and boxen from conference next week. - L

Liz Paulus

Apr 11, 2014, 9:22:23 PM4/11/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com, kurven...@googlemail.com
Oh, and if it wasn't obvious -- THANKS TO M and J and everyone. Really. I appreciate you muchly. - L

Chris Hamling

Apr 15, 2014, 8:16:35 PM4/15/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com, kurven...@googlemail.com

Chris Hamling

Apr 15, 2014, 8:20:36 PM4/15/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com, kurven...@googlemail.com
Cool.
Just tried to update my LibraryBox using a 32Gb Flash drive. Did not work/possibly took forever. Changed to 8Gb Flash and it worked first time. Perhaps it has something to do with size of flash

8Gb is a SanDisk Cruzer Switch
32Gb is a USB3.0 Lexar class 10

LibraryBox does run off both Flash drives once contents copied from 8Gb to 32Gb with seemingly fatsre boot of 32Gb.

Lissi & Gusti

Apr 28, 2014, 6:19:09 AM4/28/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com, kurven...@googlemail.com
A "me too" on the update doesn't end, and some notes on the "user experience"...

I have running LibraryBox v2.0, with an install downloaded 2nd March 2014, listed as being 10.535.044 bytes. This install did not install on a Toshiba 4 GB class 4 stick (new, formatted, tested, \install in the right place...). It did install using a different stick!

First, the speed in which the install completes is dependent on the USB stick speed? Waiting 10 minutes, and the lights not flashing, I had incomplete installs. I don't know if this is related to the stick speed, because this symptom appeared a few times, see below.

Anyway,  I'd find it helpful if the Box would somehow signal that it is finished with the install process. (Flashing lights, WiFi SSID coming up "Done!", whatever...)

I want to upgrade to the newer version, (which should allow browser uploads through enabling Droopy) -- the latest downloads store as 10.551.006 bytes, as reported by Windows. (Some indication of the revision would be nice -- couldn't find anything, guessing it's different because thesize is different).

Ok, unpack \install on the empty Toshiba stick, plug in, boot. Watched the WiFi to see if it gave some indication of progress. Twice now the install has finished incomplete... (restarted each time on a empty stick, only \install freshly unpacked). (The instructions on the LibraryBox site tell me I need to reflash the Openwrt to upgrade -- is this really necessary? perhaps state a version requirement, and how to find the current version?)

"Apply_config.log" ends with:

Working on librarybox_shoutbox
Extracting SHOUTBOX parameter from /opt/piratebox/conf/hook_custom.conf
Extracting SHOUTBOX parameter from /opt/piratebox/conf/hook_custom.conf

 \install \auto_package_done reads "extendRoot-librarybox"

and the directory structure is as follows:
Folder PATH listing for volume TOSHIBA
F:.
└───install
    └───cache

I got fed up and booted with the old stick inserted, and had the Box up and running as before.

Any thoughts?