Google's ALA 2006 Wrap-up and "Tips of the Trade"

Jodi Healy

Jul 20, 2006, 9:28:37 PM7/20/06
to librarian-...@googlegroups.com
If you can't see the newsletter below, go to: http://www.google.com/librariancenter/newsletter/0607.html

Greetings –

A few weeks ago we had the pleasure of meeting many of you at the American Library Association's annual conference in New Orleans. It was gratifying to be part of the city's renaissance as a hub for gatherings like this one, and to share that historic experience with nearly 17,000 librarians who flew in from all across the country to share ideas and learn from one another.

We brought along a camera crew to capture some of the excitement, and we're sending this special ALA dispatch so that even if you weren't able to attend, you can get a taste of the experience.

ALA 2006

  • Google doodle photos: Did you visit the Google booth at ALA? If you were one of the intrepid souls who posed for a photo with our giant Google doodle, we dare you to check out the pictures in this Picasa web album. Feel free to download your favorites and pass them along.

  • A taste of ALA: ALA is a great opportunity to engage in conversation, share information, and forge new connections. We've created a brief video tour of our experiences at ALA, including thoughts from some of the librarians we chatted with.

Lights, camera…action
In April we launched the "Tips of the Trade" campaign, inviting you to send us your tips, ideas, and stories about innovative ways you've used Google tools to help your patrons find the information they're looking for. At ALA 2006, we premiered the result: a short film highlighting a few of these stories, starring the librarians who sent them to us. You can view the movie online. And if you're interested in hearing even more stories from your fellow librarians, you can read a selection of terrific anecdotes we weren't able to feature in the movie.

New releases
Finally, we're pleased to announce a brand new resource for educators: the Google Teachers' Newsletter. If you're a school librarian who enjoys receiving this newsletter, and you know a teacher who might be interested in a version tailored specifically for educators, we hope you'll pass the word along.

Until next time, thanks for reading.

Jodi Healy
Manager, Library Partnership Team

As always, please feel free to contact us if you have suggestions for improving this newsletter.

Sign up to receive this newsletter.