deadlocks

axilmar

Dec 2, 2007, 7:37:34 AM12/2/07
to libpoet: Parallel Object Execution Threads
How do you handle deadlocks between two mutually invoked actors that
wait on message requests for each other?

Frank Mori Hess

Dec 2, 2007, 11:10:08 AM12/2/07
to lib...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday 02 December 2007 07:37, axilmar wrote:
> How do you handle deadlocks between two mutually invoked actors that
> wait on message requests for each other?

I don't, it's the programmer's responsibility to avoid that. However, I've
been working on automatic deadlock detection for mutexes (acyclic_mutex
classes that will be in the next libpoet release, work in progress can be
seen in cvs). They use the boost graph library to check for cycles in the
mutex locking order. I suppose it might be possible to hook into the
future/promise classes to get enough information about which threads are
waiting on which to do something similar.

--
Frank