Question regarding Geo Locations details for Australian land lines

Jared Allen

Jan 19, 2022, 12:36:21 AM1/19/22
to libphonenumber-discuss
Hi All,

Quick question, in the geocoding file for Australia "/resources/geocoding/en/61.txt" there is a note stating that the information source is the ACMA database (https://www.thenumberingsystem.com.au/#/number-register/search).

However, when comparing the location details on the ACMA website for certain number ranges there is a discrepancy against libphonenumber.

For example, when querying any number in the range +61240037700 - +61240037799 via the libphonenumber test tool the location is shown as "East Gresford" based on this entry in 61.txt:

61240037|East Gresford

The same query on the ACMA website shows the correct location of "Newcastle".

How often if this information updated? Also, are there any other data sources being used?

Thanks, Jared

Kavitha Keshava

Jan 19, 2022, 1:44:21 AM1/19/22
to libphonenum...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Yes, we mainly use ACMA (and ITU) for updating phone numbers and geocoding details for Australia. We update our library as and when new numbers get allocated.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! We regret the inconvenience and will fix this ASAP.

We have created a bug https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/215295166 to fix this issue. If you have found any other discrepancies please do let us know. Meanwhile we will also cross verify our data with ACMA.

Thanks & Regards,
Kavitha

Jared Allen

Jan 19, 2022, 4:54:21 AM1/19/22
to libphonenumber-discuss
Hi Kavitha,

Thank you so much for your help. It's really appreciated.

In future should I raise these requests directly via the issue tracker?

Thanks, Jared

Kavitha Keshava

Jan 19, 2022, 5:41:56 AM1/19/22
to libphonenum...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that would be helpful for us to track and fix it :-)