Join the LibLabs list, and be part of a design review panel-

Nate Hill

Jul 27, 2011, 11:29:09 PM7/27/11
to aaron schmidt, Sarah Houghton-Jan, Bobbi Newman, A. Davis, Sweeney, Patrick, gretchen caserotti, lib...@googlegroups.com, Andy Woodworth, Jesse Montero
Hi folks.

I'm writing to ask if you'd be willing to serve on a design review panel for a very exciting project I've been co-coordinating (is that a word?) called the LibLab.  The LibLab is a beta sprint effort for the DPLA that is taking its prototypical form in the Washington DC Public Library's main library this summer.  Currently partners include Wikimedia DC, DCPL, and Noll & Tam Architects.  From the planning wiki:

"We will define a Library Lab as a standalone hackspace for people to work collaboratively on knowledge - creating, organizing, and sharing it. This will include digitization, annotation, publishing, and use of existing tools for library research and collection-making, particularly for personal and neighborhood projects.  A Lab will be a space for community members, educators, and librarians to learn about new tools, to develop personalized workspaces, and to run classes and workshops for others. It will include physical tools such as cameras and scanners and mixers and computers, and software tools for design, automation, mixing, and working with datasets."

Please don't stop there, progress to the planning wiki itself.

More importantly, after reading this email, join the mailing list and introduce yourself.

I should probably say something more formal, but really I just emailed you all because I think you are super smart, work in public libraries, and have a good eye for the future of public libraries.  Shortly, there will be some concrete design specs to react to.  I only emailed a few of you to keep the panel feedback manageable: there will be room to expand this further shortly.

Thanks!  Can't wait to hear from you-

Nate Hill

Jul 28, 2011, 12:35:55 AM7/28/11
to aaron schmidt, Sarah Houghton-Jan, Bobbi Newman, A. Davis, Sweeney, Patrick, gretchen caserotti, lib...@googlegroups.com, Andy Woodworth, Jesse Montero
Hey Aaron-
Nah, just join up, read through the notes we have so far on the wiki...
This whole thing is moving fast and I wanted to pull a bunch of you in asap.
If anything you see doesn't make sense or if you have any questions, please send it at the list.
Thanks!  Really happy to have your voice in the mix.

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:24 PM, aaron schmidt <libr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm honored, and I'm in!

Are we to do anything aside from joining the Google Group?

Samuel Klein

Jul 28, 2011, 1:34:56 AM7/28/11
to lib...@googlegroups.com, aaron schmidt, Sarah Houghton-Jan, Bobbi Newman, A. Davis, Sweeney, Patrick, gretchen caserotti, Andy Woodworth, Jesse Montero
Hello, all -- great to meet you :-)

We're looking for recommendations on improving the name, as well.

We had a meeting today with 12 staff from the DCPL who are hoping to
get involved - there's a lot of interest there in being the first
demo-space for this concept, but they don't have much time for
discussions about the abstract design, being hands-full of a specific
one. They should be a good source of practical questions about
implementation tradeoffs.

Sam

--
Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Sarah Houghton-Jan

Jul 30, 2011, 7:48:18 PM7/30/11
to Andy Woodworth, Sweeney, Patrick, A. Davis, Samuel Klein, lib...@googlegroups.com, aaron schmidt, Bobbi Newman, gretchen caserotti, Jesse Montero
And you have my spells (hey...I always played a mage).

Sarah

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Andy Woodworth <wawoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
You have my bow...

*****
Andy Woodworth
Librarian, Library Advocate, & Blogger
My award winning blog "Agnostic, Maybe"
Join the conversation with me on Twitter

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:54 PM, Sweeney, Patrick <swe...@smcl.org> wrote:

You all know I’m in.

Patrick Sweeney

Branch Manager

East Palo Alto Library

San Mateo County Library

2415 University Avenue

East Palo Alto, CA 94303

www.smcl.org

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

Jul 31, 2011, 9:38:56 PM7/31/11
to Sarah Houghton-Jan, Andy Woodworth, Sweeney, Patrick, A. Davis, Samuel Klein, lib...@googlegroups.com, aaron schmidt, Bobbi Newman, Jesse Montero
Just back form vacation and catching up. Of course, happy to participate Nate, thanks for asking! Will look at links and get caught up.