D.C. Library Lab funding

James Hare

Sep 15, 2011, 2:29:40 PM9/15/11
to lib...@googlegroups.com
Hello Library Lab Team,

As the sponsor of the project, the Wiki Society of Washington, DC is
looking to include grants to the LibraryLab project in the budget for
the next fiscal year. Please suggest any investments in technology,
furniture, etc. that you would like to see made for the Library Lab;
provide price quotes if you can. Just some advice: recommend things as
part of a coherent strategy and know what each item will be used for.
While I would love to buy several iMacs for the lab (and I really
would!), I want to know why money should be spent on them and what
benefit they'd bring.

--
James Hare

Cooper, Ginnie (DCPL)

Sep 16, 2011, 4:03:18 PM9/16/11
to lib...@googlegroups.com
I have been waiting to see if anyone involved directly in this project
replies to your message. I am hoping this project get active and traction
SOON. And I know that Katie is doing a lot to see that happen.

As a reminder - this is a temporary "pop up" tech space. We have/had
about four months before renovation beginslnnAlways intended to end with
this calendar year, my greatest hope is that it is SO SUCCESSFUL that we
find another space for it, or bring it back when renovation of this space
is concluded.

Preventing terrorism is everybody's business.
If you SEE something, SAY something. Call the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099 or email at S...@DC.GOV to report suspicious activity or behavior that has already occurred. Call 911 to report in-progress threats or emergencies.

Katie Filbert

Sep 16, 2011, 4:37:21 PM9/16/11
to lib...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Cooper, Ginnie (DCPL) <ginnie...@dc.gov> wrote:
I have been waiting to see if anyone involved directly in this project
replies to your message.  I am hoping this project get active and traction
SOON.  And I know that Katie is doing a lot to see that happen.

It's turned out to be more of a challenge to recruit volunteers.  I think it might work better for us to have regular scheduled events, say we're doing X at Y time, and advertise it more.

At this point, I think what we can do now is make sure the space is active on Saturdays, as well as run events / activities on Monday and Tuesday evenings (5:30-9pm).

[I'm between jobs now so have time during the day but that might be more limited soon]

For afternoon hours, I think we might just need to recruit a couple interns, possibly with a stipend, to help make sure people are reliably there during some afternoons.

What's coming up soon at the Library Lab?  Tomorrow, we're running another mapping workshop.

We have a workshop series scheduled for early October about Wikisource and digitizing texts, and working to schedule some Wikipedia introductory workshops.  We'll also be involved with Accessibility Camp on Oct 22.

We'd also like to help with digitizing photographs, and need to meet with special collections folks to discuss possibilities for this more.

Cheers,
Katie

On 9/15/11 2:29 PM, "James Hare" <messed...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello Library Lab Team,
>
>As the sponsor of the project, the Wiki Society of Washington, DC is
>looking to include grants to the LibraryLab project in the budget for
>the next fiscal year. Please suggest any investments in technology,
>furniture, etc. that you would like to see made for the Library Lab;
>provide price quotes if you can. Just some advice: recommend things as
>part of a coherent strategy and know what each item will be used for.
>While I would love to buy several iMacs for the lab (and I really
>would!), I want to know why money should be spent on them and what
>benefit they'd bring.
>
>--
>James Hare

Preventing terrorism is everybody's business.
If you SEE something, SAY something.  Call the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099 or email at S...@DC.GOV to report suspicious activity or behavior that has already occurred.  Call 911 to report in-progress threats or emergencies.

Katie Filbert
President, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
filb...@gmail.com
@filbertkm / @wikimediadc

Christine Johnson

Sep 16, 2011, 5:12:07 PM9/16/11
to lib...@googlegroups.com
I spoke with Katie last week and followed up with my Board re: an urban hackathon at the LibLab. We, DiversiTech (www.WeAreDtech.org) actually had a Conference Call on Wednesday about a number of items and we would very much like to speak with you about partnering to host this event at MLK. It has been our desire for many months actually so when the LibLab idea come to life, it seemed like a perfect fit.

Apologies for not contacting you soon after our Board's discussion.

Katie mentioned we should select dates on the Calendar and I will do so. We have a true vision for the Hackathon and welcome discussing with whomever to get things going.

It is intended to be one of many that we plan to do in various cities. We are also committed to allowing mic-time for someone representing LibLab during our inaugural tech event on October 27th at Busboys and Poets in Hyattsville MD.

LibLab is such an awesome resource and we are open to discussing how DiversiTech can make its remaining months a true blow out!

Katie Filbert

Sep 16, 2011, 5:20:45 PM9/16/11
to lib...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Christine Johnson <christin...@gmail.com> wrote:
I spoke with Katie last week and followed up with my Board re: an urban hackathon at the LibLab. We, DiversiTech (www.WeAreDtech.org) actually had a Conference Call on Wednesday about a number of items and we would very much like to speak with you about partnering to host this event at MLK. It has been our desire for many months actually so when the LibLab idea come to life, it seemed like a perfect fit.

Christine,

This is all good to hear!

Apologies for not contacting you soon after our Board's discussion.

Not a problem.  I know things are busy.

Katie mentioned we should select dates on the Calendar and I will do so. We have a true vision for the Hackathon and welcome discussing with whomever to get things going.

Possibly early-mid November might be good?  maybe during Digital Capital Week? or would that be too busy?

We're open to scheduling other events / activities before then.

It is intended to be one of many that we plan to do in various cities. We are also committed to allowing mic-time for someone representing LibLab during our inaugural tech event on October 27th at Busboys and Poets in Hyattsville MD.

That sounds good.

LibLab is such an awesome resource and we are open to discussing how DiversiTech can make its remaining months a true blow out!

We're pretty open to ideas.  I don't necessarily want it to be too focused on Wikimedia or mapping, though those are things that I know best.

Cheers,
Katie