Upcoming events

Katie Filbert

Nov 2, 2011, 11:45:36 AM11/2/11
to liblabs
I want to update everyone on what's happening with the Library Lab....

We've had some challenges with recruiting volunteers and someone to coordinate the lab, to allow it to be everyday, all the time.  Instead, it has worked better to schedule events and activities at specified times.

So, we have a bunch of events coming up over the next two months to bring in the techies and other folks:

* November 3, ~11am - 5pm: Wikipedia Loves Libraries.  We will do tutorials on how to contribute to Wikipedia, and more experienced Wikipedia editors can improve content related to DC history, civil rights, arts, etc. http://wikiloveslibrariesdc.eventbrite.com/

* November 12: Accessibility Hackathon http://accessibilityhackathon.eventbrite.com/

* December 3: Open Data Hackathon http://opendatahackdc.eventbrite.com/

* December 17 (tentative): Wikipedia Edit-a-thon (art)

I plan to be in the library sometime on Thursday and/or Friday to do planning for the events.

We may also have capacity to work on a small handful of projects, such as digitizing photographs and special collections materials, and we are also learning more about how to do digitizing (of books, other materials) in a way that is accessible.

Ultimately, in the longer term, I think there are ways to continue involving volunteers and the tech community in the library that do not require designated space.  Instead, we can get more involved with existing programs like special collections, teen space, and adaptive services, and when needed, make it easy to arrange meeting space for events.

Cheers,
Katie

--
Katie Filbert
President, Wikimedia District of Columbia