Fwd: OSM at DC Library Lab

Katie Filbert

Aug 17, 2011, 3:48:09 PM8/17/11
to liblabs
To help get things started, I'm proposing a series of OpenStreetMap activities, inviting the OSM regulars (see below) and we'd like to teach about mapping to new people / anyone interested.

The requirements are minimal for this: wi-fi, and optionally being able to print out maps on letter-size paper.

The advantages of OpenStreetMap over Google Maps include:

* collecting more detailed and quality information, ranging from public art to sidewalk curb cuts; we're also integrating some of the city's GIS data
* anyone is free use the data in apps (pedestrian / disabled routing, etc.) and other uses
* potentially can help communities become better informed, as a citizen engagement project (e.g. like the http://mapkibera.org/ project in Kenya).

I'd be personally interested in finding ways to tie the current map data with historical info that the library has, to tell stories and the history of neighborhoods in DC.

Over the next week, I can reach out to more people in the tech community and continue to brainstorm about more project + activity ideas.

Cheers,
Katie

Aug 18, 2011, 2:08:03 PM8/18/11
to lib...@googlegroups.com, Tonjes, Chris (DCPL), Mann, Matthew (DCPL), Renard, Rebecca (DCPL), Casto, Michele (DCPL)
Large WHITE BOARDS for the DCPL LIB/LAB are now available.  We will set them up just as soon as there is someone in the space….  And, Chris – have got any monitors there yet?

Katie – your idea sounds GREAT!  And I see good collaboration opportunities with our TEENS projects and with WASHINGTONIANA (the local history dept in the library)

“One City Summer Fun … Something for Everyone”
Mayor Gray’s comprehensive summer program with fun activities, events and services for residents of all ages
For more information visit
www.onecitysummer.dc.gov  or call 311