Re: Historypin & LibLabs partner on DPLA Beta Sprint project?

Nate Hill

Jul 22, 2011, 9:36:34 PM7/22/11
to Jon Voss, Rebekkah Abraham, gen...@sonoma.lib.ca.us, Natasha Armstrong, lib...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful-

I added our LibLabs list to this email as well in case others want to chime in.

While our prototypical DPLA LibLab will be expressed in some form in a large space at the DC Public Library, we are developing the concept as a series of modules that could be set up in other spaces.  Most of these modules feature some sort of input into the yet-to-be-defined DPLA, but we are exploring some output (reading/viewing modules) as well.

It seems like an easy win to set up a Historypin 'Pinning Station' in the space in DC, and I believe that this would be simple to repeat in future iterations of the design elsewhere in the country.  If we are to do this, it would be constructive to determine the equipment needed to get setup, identify a pinning coordinator at DCPL (or a volunteer), and set some goals for what we might want to accomplish there.

Jon enjoy your travels, and I look forward to talking to you more when you return!

Nate

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Jon Voss <jon....@wearewhatwedo.org> wrote:
Hey Nate, I love it!  I'm traveling through Tuesday but would love to dig a bit deeper when I return from vacation.

Thanks for reaching out!

Jon

--
Jon Voss
Historypin Strategic Partnerships Director

We Are What We Do
London | San Francisco

On Jul 21, 2011, at 3:13 AM, Rebekkah Abraham wrote:

Hi Nate and Genny,

Thanks so much for getting in touch - nice to progress from Twitter to email!. Jon's the best person to lead on this, but I think this looks fascinating and could be a really interesting way of working together.

I am in touch with Faye Haskins at DC Public Library; they are interested in sharing content but have been under resourced. So would be great if we could help them add content by harnessing citizen historians to upload material. We are also in touch with Smithsonian Institution Archives and a couple of universities and historical societies. But we don't have a huge presence in DC, so it would be really helpful to expand.

I have also cc'd in Natasha, our Community Manager. Access to equipment is one of the challenges of using Historypin with communities, so this could potentially help with future community projects.

Really looking forward to talking further,

Rebekkah

On 20 July 2011 23:56, Nate Hill <nathan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Greetings Rebekkah, John, Genny-

I got your contact info from Genny Engel, and I believe we've all been communicating a bit on Twitter in the last couple of days.
I'm really excited about Historypin!  Very, very cool project.

I'm writing you because I'm working with a few partners- Wikimedia DC, the DC Public Library, Noll & Tam Architects, and possibly the Uni Project to create LibLabs: physical spaces that will support the DPLA through a range of activities.   We'll be building a prototypical LibLab in the main library at DCPL.

I'm writing because I believe there's a great opportunity to merge our beta sprints and offer these LibLabs as content upload stations for Historypin.  One thing that has come up time and time again with surprisingly little controversy on the DPLA listserv is the desire to enable citizens to upload historical content to the DPLA.  Do you have anyone pinning in DC right now?  Shall we pursue this idea further?

Genny, any other thoughts on this?  I know you've been focused on the local history angle of this whole thing...

Cheers

Nate

--
Rebekkah Abraham
Historypin Content Manager

We Are What We Do
Please note we have moved:
71 St John Street
London
EC1M 4NJ
020 7148 7670
07910 731 679

--
Nate Hill
nathan...@gmail.com

Samuel Klein

Jul 25, 2011, 9:39:33 PM7/25/11
to lib...@googlegroups.com, Jon Voss, Rebekkah Abraham, gen...@sonoma.lib.ca.us, Natasha Armstrong
This looks lovely.

We could use an overview of a 'historypin module' --
- a description of what pinners might need (scanner, browser, flash
drive; anything else?)
- a guide to using a scanner & browser to add a set of photos to historypin,
- pointers on how to makie collections and tours
- guidelines for curating a set of a thousand photos, some of which
might be more appropriate than others for the project

We have yet to work out how to present software modules to visitors,
but ideally a brief guide for each module would be in printable form
as well as online so that we could have a small printed handbook of
available projects. I know most of the above is online, but we want
people to be able to quickly browse a number of different projects to
find something they'd like to do.

Regards,
Sam.

--
Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Samuel Klein

Jul 29, 2011, 1:53:19 PM7/29/11
to Rebekkah Abraham, lib...@googlegroups.com, Jon Voss, gen...@sonoma.lib.ca.us, Natasha Armstrong
Rebekkah - Great to hear.

Imagine that you have your own historypin station, with a computer and
a large monitor that a couple people can crowd around; and that they
have a small booklet handy to guide them in what they can do and how.
Ideally, you would organize that pod in the space we are laying out at
the DCPL (something of an expo for the various sorts of collaboration
stations one could set up) and guide related programming - groups that
would come use the space to digitize their photos and work on
community history.

Regards,
Sam.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 6:10 AM, Rebekkah Abraham
<rebekkah...@wearewhatwedo.org> wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> We'll be looking to create a lot of the kind of guidance materials you
> mentioned as part of our work with community and volunteers, so this could
> feed in well.
>
> Rebekkah

> www.wearewhatwedo.org

Nate Hill

Jul 29, 2011, 2:20:20 PM7/29/11
to lib...@googlegroups.com, Rebekkah Abraham, Jon Voss, gen...@sonoma.lib.ca.us, Natasha Armstrong
Sam- Jon and I spoke on the phone yesterday about this very thing.
I was going to reconnect with Jon next Thursday or Friday after a design charrette with the folks at Noll & Tam (Wednesday) so I could be a little more concrete in the discussion of this pod.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj@gmail.com> wrote:
Rebekkah - Great to hear.

Imagine that you have your own historypin station, with a computer and
a large monitor that a couple people can crowd around; and that they
have a small booklet handy to guide them in what they can do and how.
Ideally, you would organize that pod in the space we are laying out at
the DCPL (something of an expo for the various sorts of collaboration
stations one could set up) and guide related programming - groups that
would come use the space to digitize their photos and work on
community history.

Regards,
Sam.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 6:10 AM, Rebekkah Abraham
<rebekkah...@wearewhatwedo.org> wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> We'll be looking to create a lot of the kind of guidance materials you
> mentioned as part of our work with community and volunteers, so this could
> feed in well.
>
> Rebekkah

Samuel Klein

Jul 29, 2011, 2:31:02 PM7/29/11
to lib...@googlegroups.com, Rebekkah Abraham, Jon Voss, gen...@sonoma.lib.ca.us, Natasha Armstrong
Ok. I just talked with the UniProject team, who are on-board to
design and own the 'collaboration space' and 'collection
display/storage' pods -- though they still see them as a single unit,
we talked about some implementations that might use only one or the
other. They think they can get relevant materials down to DC by
October; the 'collab space' pod may take over the ground-level
infrastructure (furniture :-), making it a great showcase for them.

We should find ways to make a local-history pod a similarly lovely
showcase for HistoryPin (and are open to recommendations of other
history-focused projects worth including in such a design pattern)

Sam.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Nate Hill <nathan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sam- Jon and I spoke on the phone yesterday about this very thing.
> I was going to reconnect with Jon next Thursday or Friday after a design
> charrette with the folks at Noll & Tam (Wednesday) so I could be a little
> more concrete in the discussion of this pod.

Nate Hill

Jul 29, 2011, 2:36:54 PM7/29/11
to lib...@googlegroups.com, Rebekkah Abraham, Jon Voss, gen...@sonoma.lib.ca.us, Natasha Armstrong
Sam, did they say anything about actually using materials (books) from the DCPL collection in the display/storage pods, or do they want to use donated materials that aren't part of the library collection?
For integration with the library itself, I'd ideally like to see those materials be part of the DCPL collection, or if in fact we have some collaboration going on with the ShelfLife group (I'm not sure this is confirmed yet), I'd like to see these materials cataloged and searchable in that interface.
Is anyone from DCPL on this list and around to offer an opinion on this?

Nate

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok.  I just talked with the UniProject team, who are on-board to
design and own the 'collaboration space' and 'collection
display/storage' pods -- though they still see them as a single unit,
we talked about some implementations that might use only one or the
other.   They think they can get relevant materials down to DC by
October; the 'collab space' pod may take over the ground-level
infrastructure (furniture :-), making it a great showcase for them.

We should find ways to make a local-history pod a similarly lovely
showcase for HistoryPin (and are open to recommendations of other
history-focused projects worth including in such a design pattern)

Sam.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Nate Hill <nathan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sam- Jon and I spoke on the phone yesterday about this very thing.
> I was going to reconnect with Jon next Thursday or Friday after a design
> charrette with the folks at Noll & Tam (Wednesday) so I could be a little
> more concrete in the discussion of this pod.

Cooper, Ginnie (DCPL)

Aug 17, 2011, 2:54:26 PM8/17/11
to lib...@googlegroups.com
Ginnie here… Back  on the for a bit after being taken away for other things…..  We should have some materials for this space, and also the willingness/ ability to add other stuff with cataloging so it is searchable for all…..

“One City Summer Fun … Something for Everyone”
Mayor Gray’s comprehensive summer program with fun activities, events and services for residents of all ages
For more information visit
www.onecitysummer.dc.gov  or call 311

Cooper, Ginnie (DCPL)

Aug 17, 2011, 2:56:35 PM8/17/11
to lib...@googlegroups.com, Rebekkah Abraham, Jon Voss, gen...@sonoma.lib.ca.us, Natasha Armstrong
This sounds GREAT. And I remind all that we have this space only through
DECEMBER....

"One City Summer Fun ... Something for Everyone"

Katie Filbert

Aug 17, 2011, 3:00:37 PM8/17/11
to lib...@googlegroups.com
James and I are back from Haifa.  I'm not sure his schedule, but I'd be willing to chat and/or meet and figure out where things stand, and the next steps.

Cheers,
Katie
--
Katie Filbert
President, Wiki Society of Washington, DC Inc.

Cooper, Ginnie (DCPL)

Aug 17, 2011, 3:05:38 PM8/17/11
to lib...@googlegroups.com
GREAT, Katie.  And the conference was good?

Any DCPL folks hanging around on this gogglegroup?
We must have someone other than me doing this…  I will work on that……

Matthew Mann

Aug 17, 2011, 4:57:40 PM8/17/11
to LibLabs
Yes I am here finally. Going to scan the DCPL shelves for relevant
material regarding scanning/image handling for use in the space.

On Aug 17, 3:05 pm, "Cooper, Ginnie (DCPL)" <ginnie.coo...@dc.gov>
wrote:
> [...]
> > I was going to reconnect with Jon next Thursday or Friday after a design
> > charrette with the folks at Noll & Tam (Wednesday) so I could be a little
> > more concrete in the discussion of this pod.
>
> > On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj<http://meta.sj>@gmail.com<http://gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >> Rebekkah - Great to hear.
>
> >> Imagine that you have your own historypin station, with a computer and
> >> a large monitor that a couple people can crowd around; and that they
> >> have a small booklet handy to guide them in what they can do and how.
> >> Ideally, you would organize that pod in the space we are laying out at
> >> the DCPL (something of an expo for the various sorts of collaboration
> >> stations one could set up) and guide related programming - groups that
> >> would come use the space to digitize their photos and work on

Samuel Klein

Aug 25, 2011, 4:30:12 PM8/25/11
to lib...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

The conference was just amazing. I was in the West Bank afterwards,
also fascinating... but unfortunately in traction for a week once
home, unrelated to the travel.

I will be in DC for the first half of next week and hope to work from
the library space during the days.
Currently working on the mockups of of [idealized] Lab modules.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Matthew Mann <matthe...@dc.gov> wrote:
> Yes I am here finally. Going to scan the DCPL shelves for relevant
> material regarding scanning/image handling for use in the space.

Great, thank you.

SJ
+1 617 529 4266