Introducing Myself

Sarah Houghton-Jan (LibrarianInBlack)

Jul 30, 2011, 7:52:07 PM7/30/11
to LibLabs
I’m Sarah Houghton-Jan. I work as the Assistant Director for the San
Rafael Public Library (California), a two library system serving our
town of 60,000. And I write the Librarian in Black blog website thing
which has been around for about 8 years.

I have worked in libraries for the last 14 years, as a librarian for
9. I’ve worked with state and national library advocacy organizations
including Infopeople, California Library Association, American Library
Association, and the Library and Information Technology Association
(including a three-year stint as a member of LITA’s Top Technology
Trends Committee and currently being on the OITP eBooks Taskforce). I
am frustrated with organized librarianship (aka librarian
organizations) because of the bureaucracy, slowness to change, and
general lack of innovation.

Oh yeah, and I used to be Nate's boss. :) I miss that.

~Sarah