Pictures for an Indiecade talk on gaming in libraries?

Scott Nicholson

Jan 19, 2015, 8:38:42 AM1/19/15
to libgaming
Howdy!

I'm giving a talk at Indiecade East in a few weeks to indie game designers about how they can volunteer at their local libraries.

It's a talk to raise awareness that libraries are interested in gaming, and if they want to volunteer, there are some great ways they could connect with community members through libraries.

While I have older pictures of gaming in libraries from my LIbrary Game Lab days, I really would like some recent photos.

Do you have pictures of gaming in libraries or game design in libraries that I could use in this presentation (ones that you have the rights to give me permission to use)?

If so, please either point me to the URLs or send pictures to me at sc...@scottnicholson.com, and give me the way you'd like to be credited, as I'll put your library's name and place on the slide with the pictures.

(I can go into Google or Flickr and get photos from the CC, but I'd rather give an opportunity to libgaming community members who want a little recognition first...)

Thanks,
Scott

Philip Minchin

Jan 19, 2015, 5:14:46 PM1/19/15
to libg...@googlegroups.com
Hey Scott! If you think of it, keep in touch with me about this. I've got an occasional blog on Gamasutra, and I'm hoping to have a post up in the next few weeks about creators' (specifically game devs' in this instance) relationships to libraries. The core idea being that if we move away from the make-a-widget-sell-a-widget industrial cultural economics to seeing relationships with the audience as primary, libraries are and always have been the place where the public can both broaden and deepen their awareness and appreciation of culture, and therefore the logical place for audiences to go to connect with creators AND the logical place for creators to go to find an audience. There are a bunch of practical ideas that follow on, such as supporting e-lending of their games and seeking out opportunities to do things like author talks and writing workshops (or the game dev equivalents), but the central idea is that tradeoff of not fixating so much on accounting for and profiting from every single user of their works (and thereby enabling the monstrosities copyright institutions that are poisoning culture) in exchange for cultivating an audience who willingly support the creators they love. A more general (less games-specific) post will be up on my blog at philipminchin.com soon.

Cheers!
Phil