Question on License

Oliver Rickard

Sep 12, 2013, 1:23:39 PM9/12/13
to libcmim...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have ported libcmime to run on iOS and build using XCode, but in order to submit to the App Store, the library cannot be LGPL'd.  Before I began porting, I for some reason thought it was MIT licensed, which is why I even did this.  Would the community be willing to re-license or dual license this library under a more permissive license compatible with the Apple App Store?  If not, I'm afraid that I will have to abandon my fork.

Either way, thanks for the great work!  libcmime is a real pleasure to use.
Oliver

Axel Steiner

Sep 13, 2013, 8:14:32 AM9/13/13
to libcmim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oliver,

> I have ported libcmime to run on iOS and build using XCode, but in order to submit to the App Store, the library cannot be LGPL'd. Before I began porting, I for some reason thought it was MIT licensed, which is why I even did this. Would the community be willing to re-license or dual license this library under a more permissive license compatible with the Apple App Store? If not, I'm afraid that I will have to abandon my fork.
>
> Either way, thanks for the great work! libcmime is a real pleasure to use.
> Oliver

great to hear that libcmime is usefull for you!

The only reason why we have chosen the LGPL is that it should be possible to use it in
commercial projects. We originally wanted that the library can be used in any type of
project, whether commercial or open source. I didn't know, that the LGPL is not
compatible with the AppStore.

I've now changed the license to MIT and made a new release (0.1.8).

Bye,
Axel

Oliver Rickard

Sep 13, 2013, 3:28:33 PM9/13/13
to libcmim...@googlegroups.com
Hello Axel,

Thanks so much!  I'll try to post my fork on GitHub in the next couple weeks.  I'll be sure to add a note here when I do!

Oliver