Libarchive 3.0 Available

Tim Kientzle

Jan 13, 2012, 1:31:14 AM1/13/12
to libarchive-announce
Libarchive 3.0 is now available from

http://libarchive.googlecode.com/

The major version change reflects the fact that this release
does include changes to the API and ABI. Despite this,
we expect most users will find they need to make only
minor adjustments to be able to build cleanly against
both libarchive 2.x and libarchive 3.x. More details
about transitioning from libarchive 2.x to libarchive 3.x
are on the Wiki:

http://code.google.com/p/libarchive/wiki/Libarchive3

More complete release notes for this release are at:

http://code.google.com/p/libarchive/wiki/ReleaseNotes

In the process of putting this release together, I found some
interesting statistics. In the 23 months since libarchive 2.8
(the last major release) was branched, libarchive/trunk has had:
* Over 1400 commits by 9 regular committers
* Patches and bug fixes from dozens of people
* 4 completely new read modules: RAR, CAB, LHA, lzip
* 4 completely new write modules: ISO, XAR, lzip, GNU tar
* Several major architectural changes
* 160 reported issues (over 80% of which have been marked "Fixed")
* The test suite has grown from 149 to 231 tests; many
old tests have been updated and extended.
* Total code size has nearly doubled.

As always, any issues should be reported on the issue tracker:
http://libarchive.googlecode.com/

Ongoing discussion of libarchive is hosted in the libarchive-discuss
mailing list on Google Groups:
http://groups.google.com/group/libarchive-discuss

Thanks for your ongoing interest in libarchive!

Tim Kientzle