Game starter kits

Carl Cross

Nov 12, 2010, 10:11:57 AM11/12/10
to Lib Gaming UK
Hi,

Here are two interesting articles from Scott Nicholson (officially the
hairy bear patron saint of Lib Gaming) and 8 bit Librarian.

The direct links are:

http://www.booklistonline.com/ProductInfo.aspx?pid=4554605 - Board
Game Starter Kit http://www.booklistonline.com/ProductInfo.aspx?pid=4554550
- Video Game Starter Kit

Either of these lists would be a good place to start putting together
a collection if you’re lucky enough to have a couple of hundred pounds
to spend (what? It could happen!)

I was pleased to see Tsuro make the board game list but my own list
would also include:

Pitch Car - a great icebreaker.

Roll Through the Ages – The Yahtzee mechanic feels familiar but the
theme makes it so much more appealing.

Lost Cities – Board or card game. Simple, quick and lots of fun.

Incan Gold – A quick but tense game.

Blokus – Less intimidating for some than “hobby” games.

As always Board Game Geek is your place to go for more info than you
can handle on these games:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/

All are simple enough for most players but satisfying for more
demanding gamers and can be played in under half an hour which is an
important consideration in a time limited session.

It’s hard to argue with Mario on the videogames list but I’ve never
liked Halo! It’s a personal thing I know. I’ve not liked an FPS since
Goldeneye on the N64.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on these “starter kits” and your own
lists of games which would form a core collection.

Thanks,

Carl.