LGAM - new forum posts

LGAM Knowledge Base - new forum posts

Nov 14, 2012, 8:24:55 PM11/14/12
to lga...@googlegroups.com

LGAM - new forum posts

Local Government Project Register

It seems to me that the best way to make someone attracted to a particular role, is to find them something interesting to do that is suited to their personal skill set.

Not always easy to do, especially if there is only a couple of projects to choose from - Thats why I think Councils should set up an AM Project Register - a list of AM related projects with information about the goal of the project, and what skills & resources are thought to be required to get the project up and running.

Now a single Council, even a large Council is not always going to have the people it needs with the skills it needs to sucessfully and efficiently implement the project. The usual answer to this dilema is to employee a consultant, but I think there is a better solution to this problem - for Councils and for Council staff.

I'd like to see Councils compile an Australia wide AM project register, and allow their employees to work on a project of personal interest to them (and relevant to their personal skill set) at least one day a week.

When people work on projects that genuinely interest them, their output is generally high quality and it is more likey they will come up with an innovative solution.

This system would encourage industry wide collaboration, and knowledge exchange and hopefully reduce duplication of effort accross the sector.

Now, I know a lot of subscribers to this forum are consultants so I'd to point out there would still be a role for consultants in this system, but that it would be working on projects that are of common interest to all Councils, and for which their is no expertise within the Council workforce.

What does everyone think? What generic AM related projects would be of benefit to your Council?

Forum category: Hidden / Per page discussions
Forum thread: Local Government Project Register
You are subscribed to email updates from LGAM Knowledge Base - new forum posts
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
Email delivery powered by Google

LGAM Knowledge Base - new forum posts

Nov 15, 2012, 8:16:41 PM11/15/12
to lga...@googlegroups.com

I have a vision

It seems like a no-brainer to me that we should be working with other Councils whenever we can to solve problems of mutual interest.

I have a vision of open collaboration between Councils.

A vision were any person from any Council can submit an improvement idea to a central idea repository.

A vision Where those ideas can be discussed and critiqued by a wide range Council employees and interested third parties.

A vision where Councils work together on a regular basis to reduce duplication of effort and deliver better services to their communities.

Does anyone want to help me make this vision come true?