LGAM - new forum posts

LGAM Knowledge Base - new forum posts

Nov 28, 2012, 8:32:16 PM11/28/12
to lga...@googlegroups.com

LGAM - new forum posts

How to improve Ratepayer Satisfaction

I think a really good way of improving raterpayer satisfaction would be to set up a transparent mechanism for turning ratepayer ideas and preferences into projects and policies.

Perhaps a well publicised ideascale-like site or tool, together with clear rules for how popular ideas are turned into projects would be a way to accomplish this.

https://ideascale.com/

Forum category: Hidden / Per page discussions
Forum thread: Ratepayer Satisfaction
You are subscribed to email updates from LGAM Knowledge Base - new forum posts
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
Email delivery powered by Google

LGAM Knowledge Base - new forum posts

Nov 29, 2012, 8:24:31 PM11/29/12
to lga...@googlegroups.com

Asset Management System Characteristics

What are the most important characteristics of an Asset Management System?

I've already posted this question in a couple of other places, but I thought it would be worthwhile posting it here as well to make it easy to find.

It seems to me that Councils often fall into the trap of expecting an Asset Management System to solve all of their AM related problems, and as a result look for and/or specify a system with every conceivable functionality they can think of.

From what I have seen, heard and experienced, it is very common for Councils to purchase a very expensive AM system with all the bells and whistles only to leave it expand »sitting on the shelf, or to abandon it after 5 or 10 years and start afresh because the system is to complex to manage.

I personally believe that good data, good business rules and good documentation are far more important than the software side of asset management, and that Councils should be looking for the simplest, cheapest AM software system that can possibly do the job.

My six most important criteria for an AM system are:

1. simple & intuitive to use
2. easy to input data into (especially bulk data)
3. capable of surviving the departure of key staff (good documentation helps here)
4. open (don't want black box calculations that you can't understand)
5. flexible (don't want to be beholden to the developer to write reports and queries)
6. stable (don't want it crashing and losing data all the time)

I'd also like it to have a web-based interface with a unique URL for every query and report, but that's another story …

What are your key criteria for a good asset management system?

LGAM Knowledge Base - new forum posts

Dec 6, 2012, 8:12:29 PM12/6/12
to lga...@googlegroups.com

Collaboration Think Tank

I know there are a number of organisations and projects out there that are trying to encourage collaboration between Councils, but ironically many of them don't seem to be that good at collaboration themselves.

I think part of the answer might be to build an organisation/platform independent community of interest - a group of Local Government people interested in inter-Council collaboration that are willing to hold regular discussions in a range of different forums.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who would categorise themselves as "interested in inter-Council collaboration", and if they are in contact with like minded individuals how they communicate with them?

Also I have listed below a few potential places where discussions could be started.

Innovation and Knowledge Exchange Network
http://www.iken.net.au/

IPWEA
http://www.ipwea.org.au/Home/

Ozloop
http://apsozloop.ning.com/

GovCampau
http://govcampau.wikispaces.com/

eGovernment Resource Centre
http://www.egov.vic.gov.au/

Gov2.0Australia
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/gov

LGWebNetwork
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/lgwebnetw

Local Government & Municipal Knowledge Base
http://www.lgam.info

Facebook

LinkedIN

Twitter