LGAM - new forum posts

LGAM Knowledge Base - new forum posts

Nov 7, 2013, 8:07:49 PM11/7/13
to lga...@googlegroups.com

LGAM - new forum posts

Not Reinventing the Wheel

"Duplication of Effort" / "Reinventing the Wheel" is one of my favourite subjects.

I strongly believe that people reinvent the wheel when they don't have easy access to the information they need when the need it.

When people want information these days they Google it. If the information they need isn't on the first page of a Google search it may as well be invisible as far as eliminating duplication of effort is concerned.

I know from personal experience that it is possible to make knowledge appear on the first page of a Google search. More than 500 pages within this wiki appear on the first page of a Google search. (This is certainly the case if you conduct the search from within Australia - I'm not certain what the number is internationally.).

How?

By not hiding the information behind a paywall
By publishing the information under a creative commons sharealike license
By releasing associated photos and images to the public domain
By organising the information as an encyclopedic knowledge base and strictly following the "one subject per page" rule

That's it.

If I can do it through the LGAM Knowledge Base, any number of other local government related organisations and associations could be doing it too, and possibly even better. All that is required is the desire to eradicate "Duplication of Effort" by sharing all of their knowledge openly and FREELYand organising it intelligently.

I suspect that some of the organisations that could be doing this aren't doing it so they can protect existing income streams - income from publications for example.

What do you think? Am I on to something or am I delusional?

Who else out there wants to help try to eradicate duplication of effort?

Forum category: Hidden / Per page discussions
Forum thread: Duplication of Effort
You are subscribed to email updates from LGAM Knowledge Base - new forum posts
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
Email delivery powered by Google