LGAM - new forum posts

LGAM Knowledge Base - new forum posts

Mar 26, 2012, 8:19:05 PM3/26/12
to lga...@googlegroups.com

LGAM - new forum posts

Reasons for Asset Management

As I have indicated on the reasons for asset management page, it seems to me there are two main broad reasons for asset management:

  • To fulfil legislative, regulatory, audit and reporting requirements;
  • To strive to ensure that assets are managed in the most cost effective & ratepayer acceptable way possible.

At the risk of being cynical, I suspect that it is possible that some Council's grudgingly adopt a minimal set of asset management practices, not because they believe it will help their businesses, but becasue they believe they have to.

In my experience the two things that often get Councils motivated are:

  • the fear of getting an audit qualification;
  • the fear of being seen as less competent or progressive than neigbouring councils.

It seems to me for example, that the MAVs STEP program and similar programs elsewhere used motivator No.2 above a fait bit to nudge Councils down the AM path.

I am developing a presentation on Asset Management and I think nailing the real reasons for AM are a key to making it a really useful convincing tool for progressing asset management within an organisation, and any feedback anyone has in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

I am also interested to hear from anyone in the know, what the State & Federal Government's reasons for promoting and mandating asset management are.

Are they:
a) implementing AM in their own organisations, seeing the huge benefits and getting exited about it?
b) not implemented it in their own organisations, but hoping it will make Councils more efficient & financially sustainable anyway?
c) just doing it beacuse lobby groups with a vested interest in providing AM services to Councils are getting in their ears?

I really really hope the answer is (a) by the way.

Regards,

Forum category: Hidden / Per page discussions
Forum thread: Reasons for Asset Management
You are subscribed to email updates from LGAM Knowledge Base - new forum posts
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
Email delivery powered by Google