231 Bedford Street

Laura Swain

May 6, 2024, 11:40:52 AMMay 6
to LexTMMA
I received this message from Sumitra Sujanani, as I imagine many others may have. It seems that many of the questions Sumitra poses are not really for TMM, for example, how did the town decide which areas to include in the overlay district (rezone in their words) (3), and seeking data about possible development outcomes (6). Just wondering what others think.

I'm a Precinct 8 resident and am writing to you regarding 2023's Article 34 on rezoning, which was passed by Town Meeting. The housing crisis in MA is severe and I understand that each town must do its part to increase housing stock. That said, there's a proposed development (231 Bedford St) in my neighborhood which is causing concern to neighbors on multiple fronts. 231 Bedford St is a 0.32 acre property situated in a residential area abutting wetlands, a perennial waterway, the Minuteman bike path and many neighbors. The developer is proposing a 60-foot tall building, with 9 luxury apartments of 3+ bedrooms each.

In light of this proposal, I have a few background questions around your views on Article 34. I very much appreciate your taking a few minutes to respond, and I will be sharing your responses with my neighbors and other residents.

***************
Questions
(1) Can you discuss your main reasons for being in favor of, or against, 2023's Article 34 on rezoning?

(2) (a) If you voted Yes for Article 34, were there parts of it that concerned you? Can you discuss these?
(2) (b) If you voted No for Article 34, were there parts of it that you agreed with? Can you discuss these?

(3) How did you/TMMs decide which properties to rezone? Some residential homes have been rezoned. Why is so much of the rezoned land along Lexington's artery roads? The MA MBTA Communities Law required 50 acres in Lexington to be rezoned, but the Planning Board/TMMs have rezoned 227 acres. Could you share the reasoning behind this?

(4) Is there an upper limit on the total number of new high-density apartments that will be built in Lexington? Is there an upper limit on the expected population increase? Are the current schools and other critical infrastructure designed to handle the expected population increase?

(5) Could you share your thoughts on the projected number of new apartments/population increase in Lexington, based on data from the proposed development at 231 Bedford St? My calculations below are yielding 3000 to 6000 new apartments, with an associated 26% to 52% increase in Lexington's population.

Calculations: Based on the 231 Bedford St data: 9 units in 0.32 acres --> 27 units in 1 acre --> 27*227 = 6129 units in 227 acres. If half the rezoned land gets developed, that's 3064 units

Let's assume 10% of units have 1-person, 20% of units have 2-people, 35% of units have 3 people and 35% of units have 4 people. Using 3064 units, that gives 3064*(.1*1 + .2*2 + .35*3 + .35*4) = 3064(2.95) = 9000+ people. This is a 26% increase in Lexington's population. If all the rezoned land gets developed, it's a 52% increase in Lexington's population.

(6) Many developers must be currently working on development proposals as a result of Article 34. Can you share the total number of apartments that their combined proposals represent?

(7) Can you discuss your main reasons for being in favor of, or against, 2023's McKenna Amendment to Article 34 on rezoning?

(8) Can you share your thoughts on by-right development as allowed under Article 34 versus Special Permit Residential Development?

***************

Thank you very much in advance for your time and your responses. My neighborhood may also be reaching out to you in the next few weeks with specific questions and concerns around the proposed development at 231 Bedford St.

Thank you and best regards,
Sumitra Sujanani
29 Ledgelawn Ave

Tom Diaz

May 6, 2024, 1:42:47 PMMay 6
to Laura Swain, LexTMMA
Laura, does Sumitra's Sujanani's part consist of "I'm a Precinct 8 resident..." and everything that follows?

I have answered questions she sent me, although they did not include 7 and 8, the ones about the McKenna amendment and the pros and cons of special permits.

Tom Díaz
Precinct 8

Thomas R. Díaz
13 Lois Lane