Intro and basic question

Chris Sherwood

May 31, 2016, 11:01:39 PM5/31/16
to Lexicon MPX G2 Editor
Hi all,

Intro: I've been playing guitar for decades, more than once built up a project studio attempting to create music, and sometimes that's been relatively successful.

I've had the MPX-G2 for quite awhile, which fell into disuse (along with a lot of other gear) not to long after I got it. I am now looking to reacquaint myself with it. I have it in a rack with patch bays, so can potentially use it with a lot of gear, but it's also wired up through the effect loop of a Lexicon Signature 284. It sounds lovely coming through that amp. All of this goes to the computer interface and is monitored mostly through headphones, but also with near-field Mackies,

But lately, my primary use has been guitar straight into the MPX-G2, then patched into the inputs of an United Audio Apollo Duo interface (silverface). For those in the know, this box lacks the magic Hi-Z 1Mohm impedance input of newer UA modules, so the MXP-G2 takes it's place, since it has the same input sensitivity. With this set up, I play it primarily through the newish UA '55 Fender Deluxe plugin. I love this set up. I still have several combo amps, but I live in an apartment, so I'll be recording those through a Mesa Boogie CloneCab load simulator.

MY MXP-G2 QUESTION: this really silly, but I can't seem to get it out of Edit mode. I pressed the Edit button the other day, but can't find a way to exit that mode. I mean, I've even powered the thing down and powered it back up and it's still in edit mode. I read through the chapter in the manual on editing. In each section, it says "Press the Edit button to return to the main Edit menu", but nowhere that I can find does it ever say "Press [this button] to exit the Edit mode".

Note: it's possible my unit is damaged and doesn't function the way it should. It was once in a rack that took a tumble. I had to take it apart to get it to work at all and some of the controls on the front face still don't work right.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Chris

PS: so, is there an Editor for the MXP associated with this newsgroup? Something to download and edit via SysEx?

Edwin Hurwitz

Jun 1, 2016, 12:05:59 AM6/1/16
to lexicon-mp...@googlegroups.com
Press the Program button. See if that helps.

There is an editor, but I couldn’t get it to work.

Edwin

Luc Deschenaux

Jun 1, 2016, 12:46:58 AM6/1/16
to Lexicon MPX G2 Editor
 Hi Chris !

It sounds like a hardware problem for me.

You can try the editor I written 5 years ago...  It was made for firmware version 1.1 (should support firmware 1.0 with a little bit of work but I would have needed (remote) access to a machine with such G2 connected)

The installer is available on http://www.miprosoft.com/mpxg2

It still works on Linux but I did not test the OSX and Windows versions since that time (2012, ie OSX Snow Leopard and Windows XP and 7)

The source code is available on github at https://github.com/luxigo/Lexicon-MPX-G2-Editor

When you launch it, it opens a web browser. You can also use it from a tablet connected to the same network than your computer (the url is shown on the home page)

First you must click on "Configuration" and select the midi input/output.

I'd like to refactor it as a standalone application using electron (http://electron.atom.io/) and take it further, but it's quite time consuming not so rewarding (materially)...

It tooks me several months for about 48 beers, I cannot afford it anymore with six people in my care :-)

Good luck with it,

Luc

Chris Sherwood

Jun 1, 2016, 12:29:34 PM6/1/16
to lexicon-mp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Edwin, I did push that button and all others. It looks like there's a hardware issue. Time to open it up again, but I'm not sure what to look for.

Is this group for the Editor only? If so, is there a more general MPX-G2 group to join?

Thanks, Chris

Chris Sherwood

Jun 1, 2016, 12:29:57 PM6/1/16
to lexicon-mp...@googlegroups.com
Very Cool Luc,

I will check this out.

Thanks,
Chris

Edwin Hurwitz

Jun 1, 2016, 12:49:19 PM6/1/16
to lexicon-mp...@googlegroups.com
There’s this. You can weed through everything there. It’s changed since the last time I visited, so I’m not sure where everything is now. There was a forum and also a list of places to get them repaired. Bob Sellon was one of the designers of the unit.

Chris Sherwood

Jun 1, 2016, 9:10:53 PM6/1/16
to lexicon-mp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I've joined the forum there (I think, the procedure is a bit wonky).

Cheers,
Chris