LexFarm Update: Happy New Year from LexFarm!

Jeanne Lin

Jan 3, 2013, 1:34:12 PM1/3/13
to lex-commu...@googlegroups.com
fall_header

January 3, 2013

Happy New Year!

Many Thanks to Karen Masterson and nourish restaurant for putting together their 3rd annual New Year's Eve family-friendly celebration and benefit for LexFarm! Celebrating local food surrounded by local art and live music was a great way to usher in the new year and look forward to more events already planned for this winter and spring:

See below for our first cheese-making class on Sunday, January 27th with a special discount for LexFarm members.� Mark your calendars for March 17th and the LexFarm-sponsored "Farming: Then and Now" panel discussion for "Incorporation Weekend" of Lexington's 300th anniversary celebration. We look forward to spring planting projects at the Goat Yard and another Wild Edible Walk with Russ Cohen in May!

We look forward to responding to the Request for Proposals for a community farm when it is finalized by the town of Lexington, as we savor the sights, sounds and tastes of the final season of Busa Farm & Garden. We will continue to keep you informed through this newsletter about all of our work along with the growing community for sustainable farms and food in this area!

Thank You for your ongoing support by reading and sharing this newsletter with others!

LexFarm Cheese-Making Class

cheeseJoin LexFarm and the Belmont Food Collaborative as they host their first-ever cheese-making classes!� You'll get to make soft cheeses like chevre (goat cheese) in addition to ricotta and paneer from cow's milk. Learn about milk election, curd textures, and starters, along with tools and techniques.� Try your creations during the after-class tasting!� Recipes and information lists will also be provided to take home.� Attend either (or both!) of the classes at the following locations:

Lexington:
When:� Sunday January 27, 2013, 2 - 4 pm
Where: Church of Our Redeemer, 6 Meriam St., Lexington, MA.
Sponsored by Lexington Community Farm Coalition (LexFarm)
Fee: $20 or $10 for LexFarm members
lexfarm.org/class-registration/
�
Belmont:
When:� Sunday, February 3, 2013, 2 - 4pm
Where: First Church in Belmont, 404 Concord Ave., Belmont, MA.
Sponsored by Belmont Food Collaborative, Inc.
Fee: $20
http://belmontfood.org/projects/education/basic-cheese-making-course/

Your instructors will include Lisa Fox
and Joan Teebagy, regulars at the Goat Yard, so please come and join them for this special event!

� Come Visit the Goat Yard in the New Year!

Curious to see what the goats are up to this winter?� Stop by the Goat Yard during visiting hours and come play with them in the snow!� Open on Sundays from 1 - 3 pm (weather and volunteers permitting!)

If you are looking for a great way to help LexFarm, come volunteer at the Goat Yard, or consider our Adopt-a-Goat program!

Joel Salatin Lecture at the Concord Museum

Thursday, January 17, Fenn School, Concord,� 7 pm

joel_salatinIf you've seen the movies "Food, Inc." or "Fresh", then you've already been inspired by Farmer and author, Joel Salatin. Now you can hear him speak about his new book, This Ain't Normal:� A Farmer's Advice for Happier Hens, Healthier People, and a Better World, at the Fenn School in Concord, where he will share his views on the many virtues of small farms and local food systems.�

Book-signing to follow.�
Admission is free; reservations required - call 978-369-9763 ext. 216.�

This lecture is being sponsored by the Concord Museum as part of their "Farm to Lectern" speaker series, and in coordination with their exhibit "The Greatest Source of Wealth: Agriculture in Concord" which runs through March 17, 2013.

Membership Corner

Join or Renew your membership for 2013!

Are you a "lapsed" LexFarm member? If you're not sure when your membership expires, you can email membe...@lexfarm.org and we'll let you know!

LexFarm Seeking Board Members

We are currently seeking LexFarm members who might be interested in serving on our Board of Directors. We are looking for those with communications experience, and volunteer and event coordination experience, among other skills. Our new board of directors will be elected at our annual meeting, scheduled for Sunday, March 24th.

Please email ja...@lexfarm.org if you are interested in learning more about our board.

Help Wanted

We need computer-skilled help!!

LexFarm is an all-volunteer organization with no paid staff. As we continue to work on establishing educational programs and planning for a community farm, we are looking for volunteers who can help in any of the following areas: Membership coordination, newsletter updates, website updates, publicity/event management and goat yard scheduling/coordination. Especially if you know your way around google docs and spreadsheets, Wordpress websites and/or social media,we would love to hear from you!� Contact Janet Kern.

Show Your Support, Become a Member

A donation of $20.00 for an individual membership or $35.00 for a family membership will help us meet our current expenses and plan for the future.� You can sign up online here or send a check payable to Lexington Community Farm Coalition at P.O. Box 554, Lexington, MA 02420. If you have any questions, contact Brenda Netreba at membe...@lexfarm.org.

Wild Edible Plant Series

This series covers wild edible plants found in New England as told in Russ Cohen's book, "Wild Plants I Have Known... and Eaten."� If you haven't had the chance, take some time to read this delightfully informative book to find out more on wild plants for sustainable eating.

Note:� If you are unfamiliar with harvesting wild edibles, please consult a plant expert before attempting to forage on your own.

wintercressPart Six: The wintercress (barbarea vulgaris) is a common farm weed that is a member of the brassicaceae (mustard) family. The two parts of the plant that are edible are its flower buds and the leaves during its rosette period.� The plant usually overwinters as rosettes ( tight cluster of leaves), allowing the plant to grow around two to three-feet-tall flower stalks, with flowers blooming around mid-May.� To prepare wintercress, both edible parts should be blanched for a couple of minutes, resulting in cooked greens that resemble Broccoli Rabe in appearance and taste.� Similar to their Mustard Family members and other dark, leafy greens, wintercress is high in vitamins and minerals, making it a great addition to your diet.

Further Thinking

This Sunday, the Dorchester Community Food Co-op will be opening up its 2nd annual Winter Farmers' Market, the first in Boston to accept SNAP EBT cards, making locally grown and produced foods accessible to local community members.� Read more about it here.

We welcome your feedback

Please write us at newsl...@lexfarm.org with all feedback regarding the Update or if you have suggestions for area events that we can announce.

Jeanne Lin and Allison Moody

Membership Corner

Join or Renew your Membership for 2013!

LexFarm Seeking Board Members

Help Wanted

Wild Edible Series

Part Six: Wintercress

Further Thinking

Dorchester Winter Farmers' Market

Area Events

Note: Member prices refer to membership in the organization hosting the event.

January 6, Dorchester, 12 noon - 4 pm
Dorchester Winter Farmers' Market Opening Day
The first market of its kind in Dorchester and the first Winter Farmers� Market in Boston to accept SNAP and EBT payments is launching its second season. The market, located at the Codman Square Great Hall (6 Norfolk Street) will run every Sunday for 12 weeks. The market�s opening day will feature a marching band, food trucks, free massages, free treats, children�s activities and more.

January 9, Drumlin Farm, 1 - 2:30 pm
A Windowsill Garden
Green things brighten our lives. Chase away January's gloom by constructing your own windowsill garden. Check out the book Linnea's Windowsill Garden for inspiration. Visit the greenhouse to see what is growing in there, and have a visit with someone who nibbles on gardens. Suitable for children ages 0 - 7 years with an adult.
$13 non-member, $11 member

January 11, Boylston, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Organic Lawn and Turf Day
The day will begin with an overview of the cultural practices for establishing a successful organic turf system, and then move into a more in-depth look at technical specifics of fertilization and product inputs. You will close out the day with a discussion of the direction of the organic lawn care market, and a Q&A with a panel of Accredited Organic Land Care Professionals currently offering lawn care services.
$105 non-members, $95 NOFA members

January 12, Drumlin Farm, 12 noon - 4 pm
Simple Cheesemaking
Cheese is delicious and fun! You can easily make tasty cheeses from milk - both cow and goat - or cream. During this workshop, you will make and sample several different cheeses, including yogurt cheeses, paneer, mozzarella, and fresh goat.
$67 non-members, $55 members

January 13, Cary Hall, 7 pm
It's High TIme... Climate Change Solutions
An interactive forum about food, water, energy, and federal, state and local action, moderated by Lexington's Anne L. Kelly, Ceres Director of Business for Innovative Climate and Energy Policy and Co-Director of the Policy Program. Sponsored by LexGWAC.
Free

Conferences/Seminars

January 12, Worcester State University
NOFA/Mass Winter Conference

Join NOFA/Mass for its 26th annual Winter Conference, with keynote speaker Karen Washington, known for her tireless dedication to creating community farms in New York City and bringing locally grown produce to developing neighborhoods. The conference will also include workshops on school gardening and local agricultural collaborations between rural and urban communities.

January 31 - February 2, Northampton
Soil and Nutrition Conference: Putting Principles into Practice
NOFA/Mass advocates enhancing soil fertility as a basis for the long-term ecological and economic sustainability of farming, the environment, and society as a whole. The focus of this year's conference is applying practical management strategies on the farm from principles of biological soil fertility. The lead speaker is John Kempf from Middlefield, OH, with Dan Kittredge and Derek Christianson as co-panelists.

February 9, Boston
Urban Farming Conference: Cultivating Lands, Nourishing Communities, Building Businesses
The annual Massachusetts Urban Farming Conference (UFC) is designed to advance the opportunities and address the barriers involved in cultivating a thriving urban farming sector. Boston and other local urban communities in Massachusetts have the potential to offer a fresh, local healthy food supply while promoting economic and environmental sustainability, as well as healthy communities, employment at livable wages, food security, youth engagement and more.

February 10 - February 12, Saratoga Springs, NY
It Takes a Region
This conference sponsored by the Northeast Sustainable Agriculture Working Group is for everyone interested in creating more sustainable food and farming systems in the Northeast. It is an opportunity to share with others in the field how your local efforts make a regional impact, and to work with others to rebuild our food system.

Follow us on

The Blog Feed

facebook
� � �twitter

Board Members

Janet Kern, President
Ken Karnofsky, Vice-President
Derek Moody, Treasurer
Ellen Frye
Jay Luker
Brenda Netreba
Charlie Radoslovich
� 2010-2012 Lexington Community Farm Coalition. All rights reserved.
P.O. Box 554 � Lexington, MA 02420 � 781-325-4170 � in...@lexfarm.org � http://lexfarm.org
You are subscribed to the Google Groups "Lexington Community Farm News" group. To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.
--
�
�

--