LexFarm Update: Pledge Now for the Community Farm!

Jeanne Lin

May 10, 2013, 9:12:17 AM5/10/13
to lex-commu...@googlegroups.com
LexFarm Update

May 10, 2013

Pledge Now for the Community Farm

diggingOn June 3rd, LexFarm will submit our proposal to the town of Lexington for the operation of the new Community Farm on the Busa Farm land. There will be competing proposals, but we know that if we demonstrate LexFarm's strong community support we can win the bid.  Starting up the Community Farm will require a significant investment in equipment, facilities, and staff.

A financial pledge of any amount by May 31st will add your name to the list of supporters in the LexFarm Proposal that we'll submit and
ensure that we can make our vision of a community farm a reality.
You can make your pledge contingent on winning the bid; the more you donate, the greater the total community pledge, and the stronger our proposal will be.

Time is of the essence.  Please Read more and Pledge now to Build the Farm Help us do this important work!

Goat Yard Update

It's a boy...and a boy...and a girl!

It was a long wait, but Naya finally gave birth to three healthy kids on Thursday evening, May 9th at about 7 pm. There are two bucklings (boys) and a doeling (girl)...no names yet... We will hold public visiting hours this Sunday, Mother's Day from 1 pm - 3 pm. Depending on how everyone's doing, we'll try to give you a sneak peak of the new mom and kids. Ionia, Sapphire, Ella, Salt & Pepper will also be glad to see you!

3rd Annual Wild Edible Walk and Lunch at Nourish with Russ Cohen

May 21, nourish Restaurant, Lexington, 10 am - 1:30 pm

Russ
Join Russ Cohen for his popular "Wild Edible Walk" on edible plant foraging on Tuesday, May 21st!  Lexington's nourish restaurant will be sponsoring this event for $25 with lunch included.  Part of these proceeds will be generously donated to LexFarm. After lunch, take a short walk to Opening Day at the Lexington Farmers' Market with a coupon courtesy of the Market for all walk/lunch attendees!

Space is limited: Call nourish restaurant at (781) 674-2400 to make your reservation.

LexFarm presents: "A Seed Story" at Cary Library

May 14, Cary Library, 4 - 5 pm

planthandsChildren in grades K through 2 will learn about different kinds of seeds, the plant life cycle, hear a story, and plant vegetable seeds to take home with instructions for care.

Pre-registration is required, and attendance is limited to 15. Sign up in person at the library or call 781-862-6288 during library hours.

Membership Corner

Show Your Support, Become a member

A donation of $20.00 for an individual membership or $35.00 for a family membership will help us meet our current expenses and plan for the future.  You can sign up online here or send a check payable to LexFarm at P.O. Box 554, Lexington, MA 02420. If you have any questions, contact Brenda Netreba at membe...@lexfarm.org.

Wild Edible Plant Series

This series covers wild edible plants found in New England as told in Russ Cohen's book, "Wild Plants I Have Known... and Eaten."  If you haven't had the chance, take some time to read this delightfully informative book to find out more on wild plants for sustainable eating.

Note:  If you are unfamiliar with harvesting wild edibles, please consult a plant expert before attempting to forage on your own.

Part Fifteen: Elderberry
elderberryThe elderberry plant is a shrub often found in Eastern MA in damp meadows.  Elderberry fruit generally ripen during the end of the summer and even into the fall, turning a deep purple similar to blackberries, growing in small bead-shaped clusters that droop down.  It is important to note that they are NOT edible in raw form; elderberries are only edible when dried or cooked.  Because they are an aromatic berry, it is best to mix them with milder tasting fruits such as apples, which can result in delicious apple-elderberry pies and sauces.  Elderberries are a great source of vitamin C among other vitamins and minerals and are often eaten to fight off the flu.

Further Thinking

In this recent article in the New York Times "Replanting the Rust Belt," chefs are flocking to Rust Belt cities not commonly known for the local food movement to support local agriculture and to cook sustainably, connecting with local food growers and discovering wild edibles in these parts.

We welcome your feedback

Please write us at newsl...@lexfarm.org with your feedback regarding the Update or if you have suggestions for area events that we can announce.

Jeanne Lin and Allison Moody

Membership Corner

Wild Edible Series

Part Fifteen:  Elderberry

Further Thinking

"Replanting the Rust Belt"

Area Events

Note: member prices refer to membership in the organization hosting the event.

May 11, May 18 and May 19, Waltham Fields Community Farm, 9 am - 4 pm
Seedling Sales
Waltham Fields Community Farm is happy to offer you seedlings for your home and community garden plots. You will find a good selection of compact plant varieties ideal for smaller garden spaces. They always buy non-treated seeds, and organic seeds when possible, and grow using organic methods with nutrient-rich potting soil in their greenhouses.

May 11, Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, North Grafton, 9:30 am - 3:30 pm
Livestock Farm Day
Come for the short hands-on workshops held throughout the day, or come for the opportunity to meet and learn from experts and compare notes with both experienced and beginning farmers. And stick around for a hay-making demonstration (weather permitting) – you'll see some serious hay equipment in action!  This year, Farm Day also includes a special Feeder-to-Finish Pigs Workshop. Tufts' swineherd, Garth Miller, will lead a morning workshop (9:30 am – 12 noon) focusing on the knowledge and practical skills you'll need to raise feeder piglets into market hogs.
Free (workshop costs $15)

May 11, Waltham Fields Community Farm, 10 am - 12 noon
Container Garden Workshop
Join Dede Dussault, creator and tender of WFCF's own food-focused container garden. Learn how to prepare and take care of your very own container garden. Dede will share with you her favorite containers, plants that grow well together, and types of soil mixes that work best in containers. You will leave with one planted container to get you off to a good start; all supplies provided.
$40 non-members, $30 members

May 11, Natick Community Organic Farm, 11 am - 1 pm
Swarm Management
This is an apiary presentation with open discussion, a hands-on workshop. Please bring protective clothing (pants, long sleeves, veil, gloves) if you want to be in direct contact with the action. Some veils can be provided. This workshop is presented by Jean-Claude Bourrut, beekeeper for 20 years. His management style evolves within a natural system, constantly learning beekeeping all over again.
$30 non-member, $24 member

May 11 and 12, Newton Community Farm, 12 noon - 3 pm
Seedling Sale
Start your garden with hearty seedlings from Newton Community Farm!  Choose from a wide array of vegetable and herb varieties, the same ones we have used and tested in our fields.  We start with the best seeds we can get and plant them in an organically-certified, compost-based potting soil from Vermont Compost Company.  All our seedlings are hardened off and most are ready for planting upon pick-up.  Talk to expert gardeners who will be on hand to answer your questions.
$5 for four or six packs of plants

May 12, Wright-Locke Farm, Winchester, 1 - 4 pm
Spring Fling and Plant Sale
Lots of fun for the whole family. It’s Mother’s Day at the Farm and there will be a petting zoo, live music, tractor rides, name a chicken contest, tours of the Farm, light refreshments and much more.
Free (suggested donation- $10 per person, $20 per family)

May 15, Grounds of National Heritage Museum, Lexington, 8 am - 12 noon
Lexington Field and Garden Club Plant Sale
Perennials from members' gardens will be potted and available for purchase.

May 19, Jamaica Plain, 1 - 2:30 pm
Planting for Pollinators
The majority of human food depends on insect pollinators for its existence. Numerous species of bees, flies and other flying insects spread pollen from flower to flower and increase fruit yields of many crops.
$31 non-member, $24 NOFA member

May 25
, Foxborough, 9 am - 3 pm
Making Simple Cheeses
This workshop provides a general understanding of how milk is made into cheese and what to look for when selecting milk for cheese-making. The workshop is primarily hands-on, demonstrating what the milk and curds and cheese look like at each step of the process. Learn to diagnose and fix problems during the process to produce delicious cheeses, even if things don't come out precisely as intended.
$70 non-member, $65 NOFA member

Conferences/Seminars

Follow us on

The Blog Feed

facebook      twitter

Board members

Janet Kern, President
Ken Karnofsky, Vice-President
Derek Moody, Treasurer
Nancy Gold
Jay Luker
Brenda Netreba
Betsy Pollack
Charlie Radoslovich
© 2010-2012 LexFarm. All rights reserved.
P.O. Box 554 • Lexington, MA 02420 • 781-325-4170in...@lexfarm.orghttp://lexfarm.org
You are subscribed to the Google Groups "Lexington Community Farm News" group. To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.