Turning Point

Janet Kern

Aug 1, 2012, 12:10:40 PM8/1/12
to lex-commu...@googlegroups.com
LexFarm logo: Growing
                      Community, Community Grown
Lexington Community
Farm Coalition

P.O. Box 554
Lexington, MA  02420
phone: 781 325-4170
email: in...@lexfarm.org
August 1, 2012

Due to vacations, there will be no Update next week.  We did however, want to report on the most recent Lexington Board of Selectmen meeting this past Monday. The Update editors will send the next issue of our newsletter in two weeks, on August 16.

Janet Kern and Ken Karnofsky

Busa
                        Farm viewscape

The following is a summary of a longer letter posted on our website here.

Dear LexFarm Members and Supporters,

The July 30 Board of Selectmen’s meeting marks an important endpoint to the politics that have surrounded the disposition of the Busa Farm and a turning point for LexFarm and the community.

Affordable Housing
The outpouring of support
by community members for preserving the viewscape of the farm clearly had an impact on the Board. Viewscape with 4 units The independent work of architect Carl Oldenburg was also compelling. Carl provided a design that included attractive housing of 4 units on 1/3 of the view frontage. The Board ultimately voted to provide space for 4 units of affordable housing on no more than ½ of the frontage of the view from Lowell Street.

Request for Proposal (RFP) Process
In addition, the Board of Selectmen made some decisions about what the RFP for the community farm should include which gives a glimpse into its final version to be presented, possibly by mid-September. Of particular interest were decisions designed to support a start-up community farm which included an initial lease term of 10 years and an annual lease fee of $1500.

Turning Point
This meeting marks an important turning point for LexFarm. We can now give our full attention to preparing a response to the RFP secure in the knowledge that  the farm—and its view-scape—will be preserved. The township will continue the proud legacy of the Busa Farm and the Winship Farm before it, while also contributing to the success of a new Lexington Community Farm.

We find ourselves re-energized and hope that all of you will join us in looking forward to what this farm has in store for all of us.

Janet Kern and Ken Karnofsky

Don't Miss It

Eat What You Grow:
A Talk with Meg Muckenhoupt
August 8, 6:30 pm
at nourish

Join LexFarm for a special event at nourish restaurant with local author, environmental writer, and LexFarm co-founder Meg Muckenhoupt.

Every home gardener grows tomatoes—but they didn’t exist in Massachusetts in 1620. What did people plant to eat? This overview of how farmers’ choice of crops has reflected the Bay State’s changing climate, transportation, economics, and food fashions reveals just how much has changed since the Pilgrims started stewing succotash.

This talk includes a handout with lists of heirloom vegetables and recipes worth reviving.

Dinner is $40 with a portion of the proceeds supporting LexFarm's educational programs. Sign up here.

Board of Directors

Janet Kern, President
Ken Karnofsky, Vice-President
Derek Moody, Treasurer
Margaret Heitz, Clerk
Carol Damm
Ellen Frye
Jay Luker
Brenda Netreba
Charlie Radoslovich

Janet Kern

Dec 27, 2012, 8:20:32 PM12/27/12
to lex-commu...@googlegroups.com
LexFarm logo: Growing
                      Community, Community Grown
Lexington Community
Farm Coalition

P.O. Box 554
Lexington, MA  02420
phone: 781 325-4170
www.lexfarm.org
email: in...@lexfarm.org
Due to vacations, there will be no LexFarm Update this week. We would however, like to take this opportunity to thank all those who contributed to our newsletter in 2012, and invite you to close out 2012 in support of LexFarm at nourish restaurant.

Thank You!

LexFarm Update - 5/17/12Thank you to  Carol Berker Trauner, Mark Gabrenya, Carolyn Goldstein, Jane Hammer, Margaret Heitz, Ken Karnofsky, Janet Kern, Brenda Netreba, Charlie Radoslovich and Valerie Overton who variously provided articles, blurbs, artwork and review.  And we'd like to thank our fantastic editors: Carol Damm, Jeanne Lin and Allison Moody who collected, composed, edited and sent all the LexFarm news fit to print along with calendars of events, "Further Thinking" and multi-part series on local farming history, NOFA conference updates, and wild edibles ...whew! – in over 30 "LexFarm Update" newsletters this year!

Please feel free to send your thanks or other feedback directly to our editors at: newsl...@lexfarm.org

Did you know that you can read all of our newsletters online through the google group list-serve? Enjoy!

...and now with a great year behind us and a community farm in our future:

Celebrate!

Family Friendly New
                            Year's Eve at nourish benefit LexFarm 5 - 10
                            pm

3rd ANNUAL FAMILY FRIENDLY
NEW YEAR'S EVE
at NOURISH

A portion of the evening's proceeds will go to LexFarm!

5 - 10 pm with "Happy New Year!"
every hour starting at 6pm!

Live Music with local talent from 6 - 9 pm

Call nourish for reservations: (781) 674-2400