LexFarm Update: Make First Root Farm's Dreams Come True

Jeanne Lin

Oct 25, 2012, 11:19:14 AM10/25/12
to lex-commu...@googlegroups.com
LexFarm Header

October 25, 2012

Help a Small Farm in a Big Way!

Meet frfNina Booth and Laura Sackton� - farmers at First Root Farm, self-described as "a small vegetable farm with a big heart." Laura and Nina farm on 1.5 acres of historic farmland in Minute Man National Historical Park in Concord, MA, part of Battle Road Farms, an educational non-profit committed to supporting and advocating sustainable agriculture in the Greater Boston area.

First Root Farm has just finished its third year with borrowed equipment, and is hoping to have their very own "BCS," a walk-behind tractor that is perfect for small farms like theirs. They have created a great video that tells you all about it as they try to raise $9000 through Kickstarter.com. They are almost there, but have only a few more weeks to take them over the top.

We would love to know that our readers helped make their dream come true. Donate to their Kickstarter campaign and then tell us that you did by clicking this link.

Community Farm RFP Update

Since the last RFP update, there has been no recent news regarding the Request for Proposal (RFP) that the Town of Lexington will be issuing for an organization to run a community farm on the Busa Farm property. We expect the Selectmen will finalize the RFP early in 2013. Until then, the property is being leased back to farmer Dennis Busa for another growing season. We are continuing our work so that we can respond to the RFP when it is issued - with our best plan for a community farm for the Lexington and Arlington area. If you would like to know more, have suggestions, or would like to help LexFarm's effort, please contact LexFarm's board vice-president Ken Karnofsky.

Earlier Visiting Hours Starting in November

goat yardIt's hard to believe it's been a year since we opened the LexFarm Goat Yard as a small example of a community farm...a place to visit, learn and volunteer. Have you met the goats and had a tour yet? If not, now's a great time: We are open for public visiting hours every Sunday, weather and volunteers permitting! This Sunday, October 28th, we'll be open from 3 - 5 pm.

With shorter days and daylight savings time starting, we'll be having earlier visiting hours from 1 - 3 pm starting in November. $2 per person/$5 family. LexFarm Members and Goat Adopters, free.

Wild Edible Plant Series, Part Two: Ground Cherries

This series will cover wild edible plants found in New England as told in Russ Cohen's book, "Wild Plants I Have Known... and Eaten."� If you haven't had the chance, take some time to read this delightfully informative book to find out more on wild plants for sustainable eating.

Note:� If you are unfamiliar with harvesting wild edibles, please consult a plant expert before attempting to forage on your own.

husk tomatoGround cherries (physalis pruinosa), also known as husk or strawberry tomatoes, are smaller cousins of the tomato, which you can distinguish from similar-looking fruits by their papery, tan-colored husks.� They are sweet and juicy and resemble miniature pale yellow tomatoes.� Similar to tomatoes, the ground cherry plant doesn't grow until after frost ends and fruits throughout the summer. After falling off the plant, they become ripe and ready to eat around autumn.� Though uncommon to find, ground cherries are usually located on the edges of pastures, meadows, and cultivated fields.� Best eaten freshly picked (husk removed) or in jams or pies.�

Membership Corner

New Update Header for the Fall

Did you notice the new fall header above? Once again we'd like to thank our graphic designer and Founding Member Mark Gabrenya for providing us with a seasonal header for our newsletter as we settle into Fall. Are you a member yet? Or have you been meaning to renew but keep forgetting? Please help us by becoming a member or renewing your membership today! Everyone counts! Thank You!

p.s. In case you were wondering: the photo used in the header was taken by Janet Kern at the Waltham Street Farm conservation area where Dennis Busa grows his corn sold at the Busa Farm stand.

Further Thinking

Researchers at the USDA have found "integrated pest management" to be an effective way in reducing herbicide and pesticide use in large-scale agriculture.� Read more about it in this recent Wired article here.

We welcome your feedback

Please write us at newsl...@lexfarm.org with all feedback regarding the Update or if you have suggestions for area events that we can announce.

Jeanne Lin and Allison Moody

Membership Corner

Further Thinking

Area Events

Note: Member prices refer to membership in the organization hosting the event.

October 26, Newton Community Farm, 3:30 - 5:00 pm
Halloween on the Farm
Bring your children to our haunted barn for an afternoon of spooky stories, bobbing for apples, pressing cider in our bike-powered apple press, and Halloween inspired activities.� For kids in preschool-grade 3.
$5 per family

October 27, Concord Museum, 2 pm
From Scuffle Hoes to Barking Spuds
Join Concord Museum Curator David Wood and Guest Curator John Ott in the Wallace Kane Gallery and learn more about Concord�s fascinating agricultural history. Reservations requested.
Free with Museum admission

October 27, Somerville, 1 - 5 pm or 6 - 10 pm
Harvest Fest
Harvest Fest is Somerville Local First�s annual fall fundraiser and celebration.� This festival brings together local beer, wine, music, art and restaurants for one of the best tasting events of the year.�
$30/per person

October 27, Waltham Fields Community Farm, 2 - 5 pm
Farming in Community: Four Farmers, Two Farms, and One Mission
WFCF operates a 500-share CSA as a revenue-generating part of a nonprofit community farm. We'll talk about farming as a management team, our collaboration with Picadilly Farm, and how our mix-and-match CSA improves our food access work. We'll focus on finances, crop planning, and managing harvests for maximum shareholder flexibility.
$30 non-member, $25 NOFA member

October 28
, Groton- Dunstable Regional High School, Groton, 2:30 - 5:30 pm
The Future's in the Dirt
Meet Ben Hewitt, farmer and author of "The Town that Food Saved" at Groton Dunstable Regional High School. Ben will share how a community used farming and food to revitalize a town around sustainable agriculture.
Free

November 3, Gaining Ground, Concord, 9 am - 12 noon
Hands-On with Gaining Ground
Tour Gaining Ground�s fields and greenhouse, and help plant the last crop of the season, garlic! Learn more about this group�s mission of growing food for hunger relief with the help of volunteers of all ages and abilities. Sponsored by the Concord Museum.
Free

November 3, Drumlin Farm, 1 - 4 pm
Beginning Charcuterie - Sausages and Home Meat Grinding
Sausage was developed by the Romans over 2000 years ago as a delicious solution to the issue of preservation and has been popular ever since. While many different cultures have gone on to develop varieties of sausage this class will cover the techniques, meat choices, and spicing for you to start making your own delicious sausage. We will also cover the basics of grinding your own meats and serve safe practices.
$67 non-member, $55 member

November 3, Waltham Fields Community Farm, 1 - 4 pm
The Crusha
Take a turn on the bike-powered apple cider press. Join WFCF Board Members and fellow local farmers Meryl LaTronica and Chris Yoder for this wonderful event. Bring your own take-home container or a mug for drinking fresh from the press. Donations appreciated based on your discretion/consumption!

November 7 and 14, Newton Community Farm, 7 - 9 pm
Beer Brewing
Make your first batch of beer, and be totally surprised at how great it tastes. The two-session course will include hands-on instruction from our seasoned home brewer.
$60 non-member, $54 member

November 10, Drumlin Farm, 12 noon - 4 pm
Simple Cheesemaking
Cheese is delicious and fun! You can easily make tasty cheeses from milk - both cow and goat - or cream. During this workshop, we will make and sample several different cheeses, including yogurt cheeses, paneer, mozzarella, and fresh goat.
$67 non-member, $55 member

Follow us on

The Blog Feed

facebook
� � �twitter

Board Members

Janet Kern, President
Ken Karnofsky, Vice-President
Derek Moody, Treasurer
Ellen Frye
Jay Luker
Brenda Netreba
Charlie Radoslovich
� 2010-2012 Lexington Community Farm Coalition. All rights reserved.
P.O. Box 554 � Lexington, MA 02420 � 781-325-4170 � in...@lexfarm.org � http://lexfarm.org
You are subscribed to the Google Groups "Lexington Community Farm News" group. To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.
--
�
�