LexFarm Update: Re-cap of the Lexington 300th Country Fair!

Jeanne Lin

Sep 27, 2012, 12:09:50 PM9/27/12
to lex-commu...@googlegroups.com
LexFarm Update

September 27, 2012

Community Farm RFP Update

Thanks to all those who contributed to the public comment period for the draft Request for Proposals for a community farm. For those who are interested, we have published the comments that we provided to the Board of Selectmen on our website.

On Monday, September 24th, the Board of Selectmen discussed the comments they had received and made some critical decisions. Most of the discussion centered around the definition of a community farm and whether the evaluative criteria for selecting an organization needed to include more community benefits. We believe we heard clear support on the Board for adding such criteria to the RFP.

Also as a result of their discussion, the Board decided to establish an Agricultural Commission to help with some of these details and also help evaluate the final RFP. In addition, they decided to extend an offer to Dennis Busa to continue to farm the land for the 2013 growing season, given that the RFP process would not be completed in time for a new operation to be planned for 2013. No timeline was set for the final RFP, but our sense was that it may be delayed past 2012.

We support this decision and any that encourage a process to produce the best community farm for Lexington in the long term.

LexFarm at the Country Fair!

judgesLexFarm members were very busy on Saturday at the Country Fair celebrating Lexington's 300th anniversary.� We started with the Blue Ribbon Contests where our panel of judges shown here: Charlie Radoslovich, Sarah Feldman, Carla Fortmann and Don Kozak � tasted tomatoes, admired container gardens,� and measured sunflower heads. They are holding the prize-winning sunflower, grown by LexFarm member John Dreyer.

Dave Sears of William Raveis Real Estate joined us to award the prize for "Best of Show" in our Farm Gateways photo contest to the winning photographer, Arnav Mukherjee. You can see all the entries, including Arnav's photo, titled "Rustic Morning at Wilson Farms" on our website.� All winning photos are on display in the window at William Raveis Real Estate, 1713 Mass. Ave., Lexington. Special thanks to Vlad Selsky for all the photo printing.

But the most fun of all at the fair, hands down, were the Beat the Beet! vegetable races. Thanks to Charlie Rad, we had a ramp, the cars...and the vegetables. We raced potatoes and cucumbers and a butternut squash...and at the end of the day the winners took on the giant beet! Watch a video of the ultimate challenge, and then start planning your vegetable garden for next year's LexFarm Giant Zucchini races...coming to a farm near you in 2013!
�

Goat Yard Update:� Meet us at the Goat Yard!

��� Every Sunday, LexFarm Goat Yard, 3 - 5 pm

goatsThe LexFarm Goat Yard is now open every Sunday from 3 - 5 pm.

We are starting an acorn collection for the goats to enjoy during the winter months, so collect them before the squirrels do and drop them off at the Goat Yard.

Remember, LexFarm members and Goat "Adopters" get free admission to the Goat Yard during visiting hours, so come on by!

LexFarm Presents:� "If These Walls Could Speak..."

��� Sunday, October 7, Minute Man National Historical Park, 1 pm

jacob whittemore houseIn collaboration with LexFarm, join park ranger Polly Kienle for an educational tour of the Jacob Whittemore House, Minute Man National Historical Park's only structure in Lexington.

Using original documents, discover the nuances of operating an 18th-century farm. What you learn about Jacob Whittemore and his family may surprise you!�

This program was developed especially for LexFarm supporters and members, as part of LexFarm's mission for education about farms and farming...including farming history in Lexington! Appropriate for ages 12 and up. Participation is FREE but space is limited to 30 people.�

Please register by Friday, October 5th by sending an email to Carolyn Goldstein at caro...@aol.com

Membership Corner

Thank you to LexFarm Members

blue ribbonLexFarm's Board of Directors would like to say "thank you" to so many LexFarm members who have been helping out in various ways over the last several months, as we've been organizing our response to the community farm RFP, keeping the Goat Yard operating, and getting ready to participate in Lexington's 300th anniversary celebrations:

Thank You to all LexFarm members who wrote letters during the public comment period on the Town of Lexington's draft RFP for a community farm. And thank you to members Ingrid and Maeve Gallagher, Rachel Caldwell-Glixon, Judith Glixon and Lexington High School seniors
Sophie Goemans, Lydia Gold and Miriam Lipschutz, who have been helping out at the LexFarm Goat Yard over the past several weeks.

Thank You to those members who helped out with the Country Fair by volunteering or donating raffle prizes: Ellen McDonald, Danielle Boudrot, Karen Longeteig, and Carol Damm. And to those members who purchased raffle tickets...we're glad some of you won!

And a very special thank you to member Carolyn Goldstein who worked on the 300th anniversary committee representing LexFarm and who organized our participation in the Country Fair on Saturday.

Finally, a huge thank you to newsletter editors, members Jeanne Lin and Allison Moody, who are devoted to keeping everyone up to date and informed as we continue to grow in many directions!"

If you�re not yet a member but would like to show your support, join now!

Show Your Support, Become a Member

A donation of $20.00 for an individual membership or $35.00 for a family membership will help us meet our current expenses and plan for the future.� You can sign up online here or send a check payable to Lexington Community Farm Coalition at P.O. Box 554, Lexington, MA 02420. If you have any questions, contact Brenda Netreba at membe...@lexfarm.org.

Further Thinking

For those of you who've always wanted to grow your own vegetables, but don't have the space, i-Grow may be the best solution:� rent growing space online and have a farmer grow your produce and send it to you.� Read this article to learn more about this new trend.�

We welcome your feedback

Please write us at newsl...@lexfarm.org with all feedback regarding the Update or if you have suggestions for area events that we can announce.

Jeanne Lin and Allison Moody

Membership Corner

Further Thinking

Area Events

Note: Member prices refer to membership in the organization hosting the event.

September 29, City Natives, Mattapan, 10 am - 12:30 pm
Finding Health in the Garden
Want to turn over a new leaf this fall? Join dietitian Jessica Jones-Hughes for a conversation about finding physical well-being in the garden. Following the discussion, you'll learn to make delicious, time-saving meals with garden harvests that your family will love. Preregistration required.
Free

September 29,
Jamaica Plain, 1:30 - 3:30 pm
Preserving the Bounty!
You have planned and grown an amazing garden! You are enjoying the fruits of your labor but feel a bit overwhelmed by the bounty - it's time to learn how to put some of it up for later! Come learn the basics of boiling water bath canning and pressure canning. You will prepare some recipes for each type of food preservation using fresh organic fruits and vegetables.
$30 non-member, $25 NOFA member

October 3, Somerville, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
Urban Chicken Keeping
You don't have to be a farmer to keep chickens. Terry Golson has more than sixteen years of experience keeping a small flock of laying hens in her backyard that supply eggs for her family's table. In this slideshow and lecture, Terry will share everything you need to know to get started with your own chickens. She'll cover selecting the right breeds, housing, feed, and how to keep the hens healthy. Terry will talk about chicken behavior, predators, and daily chores. She'll show you how she composts the manure and makes use of it in her garden.
$30 non-member, $25 NOFA member

October 4, City Natives, Mattapan, 5:30 - 6:30 pm
Fall Soil Care
It's time to give your soil a little T.L.C. Come get your hands dirty planting cover crops, adding soil amendments and laying mulch to prepare for next season! Registration required.
Free

October 6, Boston, 11 am - 6 pm
Boston Fish Pier Seafood Festival
This is the official public kickoff of the non-profit, all volunteer Boston Fisheries Foundation, and will be the first all-seafood festival held in Boston. It will be a day of sensational seafood tastings, oyster and lobsters, clambakes and chef demos, educational events, and family fun.
$10, $8 for students

October 7, Rose Kennedy Greenway, 11 am - 5 pm
Boston Local Food Festival
This festival is Boston's premier food festival promoting the joys of eating local food and includes local farmers, some of the best restaurants in New England, specialty foods, a �Seafood Throwdown�, Meat Cutting Demos and Chef Demos.
Free

October 12, Concord, 7 pm
Farm to Lectern Speakers Series: Gary Hirshberg
The Concord Museum welcomes Gary Hirshberg, the educator, activist, co-founder and chairman of Stonyfield, the successful organic yogurt company. Author of Stirring It Up: How to Make Money and Save the World, Gary is an advocate for change in national food and agriculture policies and a passionate speaker on sustainability, the profitability of green business, and organic agriculture. In his talk, �Inventing a Truly Sustainable Future,� Hirshberg proposes that it won�t be possible to have a truly sustainable future if our food makes us sick. Reservations requested.
Free

October 13, Concord Museum, 10 am - 3 pm
Family Farm Day
Hands-on activities explore Concord�s farming history and celebrate our present-day farms. Handle tools from 3,000 years ago, use a cider press, make and taste sauerkraut with Gaining Ground, decorate pumpkins, visit with chickens from Drumlin Farm, make cornhusk dolls, enjoy refreshments by Trail�s End Caf�, and much more!
Free with Museum admission

October 13, Mattapan, 10 am - 2 pm
Harvest Festival and Perennial Divide
Help Boston Natural Areas Network celebrate the harvest season with honey bees and fresh-pressed cider. Dig up your perennials to share and shop for plants from the City Natives nursery.

Conferences/Seminars

Follow us on

The Blog Feed

facebook
� � �twitter

Board Members

Janet Kern, President
Ken Karnofsky, Vice-President
Derek Moody, Treasurer
Margaret Heitz, Clerk
Ellen Frye
Jay Luker
Brenda Netreba
Charlie Radoslovich
� 2010-2012 Lexington Community Farm Coalition. All rights reserved.
P.O. Box 554 � Lexington, MA 02420 � 781-325-4170 � in...@lexfarm.org � http://lexfarm.org
You are subscribed to the Google Groups "Lexington Community Farm News" group. To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.
--
�
�