April Read: Rivers of London

1 view

Wendy B

Apr 3, 2012, 8:06:53 AM4/3/12
to LeVar's Rainbow Book Club
My name is Peter Grant and until January I was just probationary
constable in that mighty army for justice known to all right-thinking
people as the Metropolitan Police Service (as the Filth to everybody
else). My only concerns in life were how to avoid a transfer to the
Case Progression Unit - we do paperwork so real coppers don't have to
- and finding a way to climb into the panties of the outrageously
perky WPC Leslie May. Then one night, in pursuance of a murder
inquiry, I tried to take a witness statement from someone who was dead
but disturbingly voluable, and that brought me to the attention of
Inspector Nightingale, the last wizard in England.

Now I'm a Detective Constable and a trainee wizard, the first
apprentice in fifty years, and my world has become somewhat more
complicated: nests of vampires in Purley, negotiating a truce between
the warring god and goddess of the Thames, and digging up graves in
Covent Garden . . . and there's something festering at the heart of
the city I love, a malicious vengeful spirit that takes ordinary
Londoners and twists them into grotesque mannequins to act out its
drama of violence and despair.

The spirit of riot and rebellion has awakened in the city, and it's
falling to me to bring order out of chaos - or die trying. Which, I
don't mind telling you, would involve a hell of a lot of paperwork.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9317452-rivers-of-london