A LETTER FROM DAVE

rv.ros...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2008, 9:40:32 PM4/9/08
to Letters and Messages From Dave
It has been my own unfolding understanding that the
Christian Science University is understood coincidentally
with that compelling individual, David James Nolan, himself.
A couple of years ago he was considering inviting another
individual to partner with him in the University's endeavors.
In the long run this was never realized. However, what remains
of the University are the letters of its Chancellor and its
beautiful Home page with the seven pointed star of Science
found at http://www.christianscienceuniversity.org/

The following is a letter by Dave written in consideration
of the University, including a favorite article of his
concerning forgiveness and redemption, and ending by his
expounding upon a topic close to his heart, -- the lost Israel
revealed in these latter days as Anglo-Israel.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

February 2006

Dear _______,

If you think things are 'hectic' within the circumference of which
you are the pivotal center, then I confess, I'm neither so proud nor
ashamed as to honestly admit that what's transpiring within my
BEING/becoming is also of a nature that more than qualifies to being
identified as 'hectic!' If at all possible for you to do so at the
moment, drop entirely the nefarious belief that time is something we
possess; occasionally even to the point of having some 'spare' time to
do with as we please!
Time is a myth about a myth, and it is complexioned of two horrific
impostors! One is the belief that we possess a past and the other
is the equally fallacious belief that, if we're lucky, we may also
have a future! Both fictitious mental constructs are bankrupt of
reality, and thus, possess nothing to confer upon anyone. Absolutely
nothing!

Contrariwise, they are squatter beliefs that dispossess anyone so
inclined to host them of the infinitude of what Being has and is
endeavoring every instant to unfold immeasurably into the sacred
cradle of the NOW! "Behold, NOW is come salvation, and strength,
and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ . . . ."
Rev. 12:10.

For decades, I've never missed a chance to 'lift' a statement or a
paragraph from whatever it is I had been studying and placing these
gems of truth within my Metaphysical Diary. Many years ago I was
undertaking a very thrilling and rewarding study of the writings of a
Professor J. R. Mosley who was a very learned gentleman who headed up
one of the English Literary Departments at Harvard University. The
same department that was later headed by Dr. Robert Peel. Within the
August, 1909, Edition of The Christian Science Journal is one of the
many articles written in the Journal by Professor Mosley which had a
special significance to our Leader, as it happened to be the only
piece of editorial content that she had retained in proof-sheet form,
before approving it for publication, and she neatly folded the
approved proof sheets, affixed her name, "Eddy" across the back of
each of the several pages on which the article had been typeset, and
tucked the article away at the very back of her personal copy of our
textbook. There it lay until her hand was stilled and she stepped on
before us.

Consequently, I was fascinated to read Professor Mosley's article,
titled, "Redeeming The Past," so as to ascertain, if possible, just
what it was about this particular article that so captivated our
Leader's fascination and approval.

As you happen to be enjoying two weeks of time up in gorgeous
_____________, with perhaps a bit more opportunity than usual to
scan some noteworthy metaphysical writing, I'm taking the liberty of
replicating "Redeeming The Past" and forwarding a copy of it to you
within this email, as I feel rather certain that you haven't an
August, 1909, Journal, along with you, just lying on your bed stand
accommodate your desire to access this monumental metaphysical
masterpiece. And I'll highlight the particular segment from within
the writ that I believe so captivated our Leader's attention, as it
surely did mine! Enjoy . . . .

REDEEMING THE PAST.

PROF. J. R. MOSLEY.

AN instructor at Harvard once said to the writer that, if Christian
Science is true, the past as well as the present and the future will
be redeemed. The truth, the large implications, and the beneficence
of
this perception have been dawning and unfolding ever since.

Since what we call the past and the future are only different ways of
conceiving of the present, all redemption must be in the present. As
Kant saw, the sense of time as well as that of space arises from the
belief in finiteness. Since mortals are unable to see all things at
once, they see them as a succession and as an extension of
experiences.

This succession of finite experience gives rise to the sense of time;
that of extension, to space. To infinite Mind, eternally embracing
all things in one and in every instant of consciousness, there is no
possibility of the mortal sense of either time or space. To this Mind
all things are forever here and now. In our highest states of
mentality and finest activities of life, we lose the sense of time.
Sidney Lanier's fine line, --

I leapt the breadth of time in loving thee -- !

suggests a universal truth; for, strictly speaking, all true love, as
well as all other fruits of the Spirit, is of eternity rather than of
time, and lifts one out of the sense of time into the consciousness
of
the eternal. As Hamilton Wright Mabie has said, "There are no clocks
in the forest of Arden," and we enter this forest every time we turn
to the contemplation and to the doing of the things that are true and
beautiful and good enough to be eternal.

If what God perceives once, He perceives for all eternity, it would
also follow that, if He once saw and pronounced all things "good" and
"very good," He always sees and loves them in the same perfect way;
and if for every human concept and object cognized by the senses,
there is a perfect and an immortal idea in the divine Mind, which is
the creator, the sustainer, and the redeemer of all things, whether
they be visible or invisible, it would seem to follow that every human
concept and everything which appears to the senses must be transformed
by the divine Mind and idea until this Mind and idea are known to be
what they always are in fact, All-in-all. In other words, every human
concept and every human experience must be redeemed, and wholly
redeemed, by the appearing of the divine idea or the Christ. It would
also seem to follow that the moment we rise above the imperfections of
time and sense to the perfection of the divine Mind and idea, what we
designate as the past, as well as the future, will he redeemed. It is
the present that determines the past, rather than the past that
determines the present. Certain it is that the present, rightly
conceived and lived, saves the past and turns it to good account.

That the present not only gives interpretation and meaning to the
past, but actually determines it, would have to be true for the
kingdom of heaven to be always at hand, a present possibility for
every one. If the past determined the present, only those who had in
the past conformed to the laws of the kingdom could enter; but if the
present determines the past, it is what we desire, will, think, and do
at this moment that determines the effect of our past upon others as
well as upon ourselves, and the kingdom is always open to all. The way
we look, act, and react upon the past determines its value and meaning
to us. We can so view, and react upon, the best things in our
experience and conscious memory as to make them temptations to
self-righteousness, self-love, and self-indulgence; and we can so look
and react upon the worst things we have done in a way to make them
incentives to virtue and barriers to vice.

Our past is contained in our memory; and what we remember, as well as
the interpretation we give to it, depends upon what we are now
thinking, planning, and doing, i.e., upon the nature of present
consciousness. The past has new value and meaning every moment,
provided we are making the most of the present. It loses its value
and
meaning and calls up opposite memories and associations whenever we
fail to do this. One act of indiscretion or error may cause us, for
the time being, to lose the memory and sweet consciousness of most of
the good we ever did, and revive the memory of all the worst thoughts
we ever had as well as the worst things we ever did. Until any error
is repented of and superseded by something true and worthy, it gives
false and disagreeable coloring to past, present, and future. Any act
of nobility begins at once to enable us to see all things in their
true light; and persistent efforts in the right direction will
redeem,
transform, and ennoble everything we remember as well as everything
we
look forward to. The memory has the fine art of sifting out the evil
and of keeping the good, when in Christian Science we give ourselves
to the love and service of the good; and of forgetting the good and
remembering the evil, when we give ourselves to that which is below
instead of above us. It has been sagely said that "we forget and we
remember according to beautiful laws." The same is also true as to
the
way we interpret what we remember as well as what we see and hope for.

The deeper we see into even the simplest laws of Life, the more
clearly does it appear that we are made "to grow, not stop;" that,
while there is all the rest and peace and joy, for us that we need on
the way, the command is forever forward and upward. Mrs. Eddy says,
"Growth is the eternal mandate of Mind;" and again, "Progress is the
law of God" (Science and Health, pp. 520, 233). We cannot rest upon
our oars without at once beginning to drift down the stream, and what
rightly looks beautiful and good going forward, does not appear so
going backward. The sense of degeneration begins with even the desire
and purpose to stop work when one has reached a certain goal of human
success; and when one stops work merely to enjoy the fruit of his
former labors, the voices from within as well as circumstances from
without must sooner or later say to him, "Thou fool!" This applies to
nations, communities, and families, as well as to individuals, for
our
individual and collective destiny depends, in a large measure, upon
what use we make of our leisure and accumulations from the past.

When we are ready to obey the voice of wisdom and beneficent destiny,
the race as well as the individual can have all the leisure it needs,
all that it will use for the ends of growth and progress. Labor will
become ever less incessant, exhausting, and material, and ever more
joyous, refreshing, and spiritual. At present, however, as well as in
the past, we find that the majority of mankind use leisure, as well
as
the past accumulations and possessions of all low advantages, for
temporary hurt rather than for growth and permanent well-being. "In
the great cities," some one has said, "three days' idleness will fill
the hospitals with victims whom weeks and months of toil have left
unscathed." This should not be, and will not be as the race learns to
obey the gentle leadings of wisdom and the tender promptings of Love.
Then it will not be necessary to be forced into the heavenly way by
the punishments of evil, and nothing can keep us from walking therein.
Then it will no longer be necessary nor possible for us to be lashed
by the memory of past evil, the sense of present hells, nor the fear
of future ones.

That an attitude of forgiveness and active good will toward those who
have injured us turns injuries into benefits, so far as we are
concerned, there can be no question. Can they also be turned into
benefits to those who seem to be the cause or the occasion of these
injuries? We can readily see how Joseph could forgive his brethren
and
say to them, "Be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, . . . for
God
did send me before you to preserve life." Joseph, in common with all
who have learned to meet evil with good, and thus turn all things to
good account for their brethren as well as for themselves, could
easily see and say, "Ye thought evil against me; but God meant
[turned] it unto good." But could Joseph's brethren forgive
themselves?

Worse still, suppose Joseph had dwelt upon and magnified the wrongs
he
had suffered, instead of turning them to good account; suppose he had
pursued and persecuted instead of forgiving and blessing his
brethren:
could they then have forgiven themselves? Can those who have sinned
most and worst, and whose sins have seemed to cause the worst
reactions and resultant effects upon others, ever be forgiven? Can
they be forgiven of God and forgive themselves even before they are
forgiven by those whom, in the first instance, they wronged, and who,
in the second, wronged themselves by reacting in the worst instead of
the best possible way? These questions are as serious and profound as
we are capable of asking; and it behooves those of us who have sinned
more than we feel that we have been sinned against (and most of us
must reach this stage sooner or later, as there comes a time when we
are only troubled by the wrongs we have done and no longer even dwell
upon those we have suffered) not to be dogmatic, but reverently to
prize all the light and peace that comes to us in our efforts to solve
these great problems of the mind as well as of life.

It is certainly true that, while we are being reviled and scourged
for
the wrongs we did do, as well as for those we are falsely charged
with
having done there is a way to think and feel, to act and react, in
the
midst of the worst that can be said and done to us, both from without
and from within, that not only disarms, converts, and blesses our
seeming enemies, -- who after all may be among our best friends, -- but
which also give us at least the first fruits of the kingdom of peace
and good will. Here, as elsewhere, it is not what we have done, but
what we are now doing, that is the determining and important factor.
Then, too, all punishment is self-limited. No one can pursue and
nothing can punish us forever, and by a right attitude toward our
external as well as our internal accusers they may at any time be
silenced.

It is ours to know as well as trust that the ill things we have
suffered, when rightly met, as well as the good things we have
enjoyed, have worked for our elevation as well as for our
reformation. Our personal enemies must finally be brought to
repentance and reformation, and our repentance and reformation at
once makes us their friend and helper, though they for a time may
regard us otherwise. As the goodness of God brings men to repentance
and reformation, enough reflection of the divine goodness on our part
can do the same; and the greater this goodness, the quicker the
repentance and the more glorious the reformation. The very nature of
our mental and moral constitution will only allow us to be punished so
far. Conscience is satisfied, and the memories of former wrongs are
either blotted out or so transformed that they occasion gratitude as
well as inspire virtue, so soon as we reach the point where the
admonitions of divine wisdom and the promptings of divine Love are all
that are needed to keep us from evil and to make us active in the
service of good.

If we have forgiven others even before they forgive us, and do our
best to make it easy for them to forgive us, their unforgiveness
cannot keep us out of heaven; it can only keep them out until they,
too, forgive as they would be forgiven, strive to live perfectly in
the present, and to turn the injuries they have occasioned, as well as
those they have suffered, to the best possible account. As we have
seen, if our past contains crimes that now seem beyond the reach of
our best endeavors, even those crimes no longer weigh heavily upon us
when we reach the point in our spiritual history that no temptation
nor circumstance could ever induce us to commit them or their like
again. Even while we are being pursued and persecuted, if we meet
these trials of our faith in love and with blessings instead of with
resentment and complainings, before the tribunal of our own conscience
the evil committed in the past, because it is viewed from a different
and higher perspective than when it was committed, "becomes," as one
has said, "an action that no longer exists for us, save in so far as
it may serve in the future to render our fall more difficult."

Then, too, as we have seen, the evil fades out of memory, and the
good
remains. "The clouds pass; the heavens remain." Finally it is seen
that under the divine government everything is being worked out for
the good of all; Truth righting the wrongs we have done as well as
those we have suffered. Even higher than this, it is seen that the
good is all that really was, is, or ever shall be. We shall remember
and rejoice in the good that we have received and forget the injuries.
We shall be blessed for the good that we have done, and no longer be
punished for the evil.

Christian Science brings a glorious and wonderful sense both of
responsibility and of opportunity, in making it clear that we are not
hopelessly bound by the mistakes of the past, whether these mistakes
be our own or those of others. It presents, moreover, the kindred
truth that we can acquire an ever-increasing control over the events
which shall happen to us, as well as always determine what the events
of the past, present, and future mean to us; thus the sense of
responsibility and of opportunity becomes still more wonderful. It is
seen that we have everything to live for, and everything to be
grateful for. It makes us glad that we are living now, and happily
reconciles us to the wise necessity of making the most of all the past
that now exists or ever can exist for us. It also makes clear to us
that every man needs his own past. It makes it possible to rejoice
with all those who rejoice and impossible to envy any one. It is seen
that the past of every one is his opportunity as well as
responsibility, and that it is not to be relived and redeemed through
reincarnations, but by progressive and continuous growth and
unfoldment. We cannot return to what has been, but we carry with us
all the past we need to redeem and to turn to good account.

It would also appear, and wisely and rightly so, that the so-called
subconscious mind should be governed by the conscious mind and under
the control of the higher self. Even higher than this, as Christian
Science teaches, immortal Mind must govern and heal both the human
mind and body. The present must govern and redeem the past; the
conscious, the subconscious; the higher, the lower. Our hope is that
all this is even true for those who are seemingly dead; that "the hour
is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son
of God." The apprehension of God and man in Christian Science leads
us not alone to the hope, but to the realization that there will never
be one lost life nor a single unredeemed past.

_______________

I could continue through the above highlighting one monumental
realization after another, however, those I've selected are the very
ones that have 'stuck' with me over the years and sown so many seeds
that have proven to produce a plethora of blessings immeasurable as
year has succeeded to year!

______, I trust you'll give the following a just consideration, as
what I'm about to write bespeaks my heart and mind's innermost
impulses and hopes. I am extending to you an invitation to become one
of the University's Regents, inasmuch as it appears you'll be its
designer and the overseer of what transpires within and upon the
domain once it is launched. This University is not an extension of
"Church!" It is an entirely free standing, independent,
God-commissioned blessing that's about to be conferred upon all
humanity. Consequently, to endure the brazen brashness and morbid
assaults that it will endure as it serves the purpose of Mind, it must
be more than a "structure!" -- even one that "rests upon" divine
Principle! What I envision for this undertaking is nothing less or
other than the designing and the maintaining of a "superstructure"
that sits, squarely, upon nothing other than a "spiritual foundation."
[See: S&H 599.] "ZION. Spiritual foundation and superstructure;
inspiration; spiritual strength."

You will see, if you do not already, that Mrs. Eddy understood "ZION"
to be the spiritual name of "the restored Israel," and be at-one with
The United States of America. In the Historical Sketch in the Church
Manual, on page 17, I believe, we read, in part, "Christian Science,
as taught and demonstrated by our Master, casts our error, heals the
sick, and *restores the lost Israel*." That's the purest and most
ethereal symbolism of precisely what the meaning, or interpretation,
is, in regard to that which was placed upon the head of the
God-crowned Woman of Revelation, 12:1. That circular, celestial
crown [as contrasted to a semi-circular terrestrial coronet] whereupon
are displayed twelve stars, is the Master's Revelation that Israel
would again be restored after the Great Diaspora, and unless or until
that restoration actually transpires, here, upon earth, and everyone
of the twelve tribes have reunited under the identity of one
Nation/State, the promised Comforter could not possibly appear here,
upon Earth!

So, when the United States of the Americas announced to the world,
"Send me your humbled and tired masses yearning to be free . . . . ,
the actual literal restoration of Israel self-fulfilled in scientific
demonstration, as armies of representatives of each of the twelve
tribes made their way, as "branches that run over the wall," and
Biblical prophecy was fulfilled! The United States became the long
awaited "Promised Land," replete with unwalled cities, and, indeed, a
place of milk and honey! And, presto, as though someone threw on a
light switch, the Comforter which had been "sweeping down the
centuries, gathering beneath its wings the sick and sinning," lighted
as a dove upon this Great Christian Republic, thereby anointing it
with the identify, ZION, "the restored Israel." This thumbnail sketch
just merely hints to why our Leader signed so many of her prolific
hand written letters, . . . .

"Affectionately yours,

Your Mother in Israel,

Mary Baker G. Eddy"

This is the untold story that is being suppressed
from making its way into the pulpits of America's Churches
which house, "Christ's offspring."

Blessings to you, ____, as God lives Itself AS You!

Your friend

Dave Nolan