Rationalist Retreat (Northeast America - Equinox 2017)

Mati Roy

Sep 15, 2017, 2:19:15 AM9/15/17
to lesswrong waterloo
Hello LWers from Waterloo!

I'm organizing a Rationalist Retreat for Northeast America. I tried picking a central location, but I realize that might be a bit too far for you :/ I hope some of you can make it anyway!

Here's the link to the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1614831155205823/

And here's a copy-paste of the description for those who don't have Facebook:

Hey! Let's do a Rationalist Retreat for Northeast America, and bring together rationalists from Montreal, Boston, New York, Ottawa, Toronto, and anywhere else people are willing to travel from! It's a good opportunity to get to know each other, and just have a good time.

We've made a tentative schedule, but we can decide in group what we want to do. If you can only join us for 1 day, that's fine as well.

If you have games, physical activities, rituals, workshops or other things to propose, please do so.

***Friday***

14:00+ Arrival at Bear Slide, NY
1368 River Rd, Lake Luzerne, NY 12846-3826, United States

Meeting each other.
Potluck (please label non-vegan food).
Fire.

Canadians might want to arrive at the border early (12:00 ish) or late (21:00 ish) to avoid a 0.5-1 hour waiting.

***Saturday***
(Still at Bear Slide, NY)

Morning: Hiking
Hiking at Berry Pond (very close to campsite)

Early Afternoon : Sports / Games (physical activities)
Suggestions: 1-2-3 for me, kick the can, person hunt, capture the flag, etc.

Late Afternoon / Early Evening: Board Games
Social Deduction Games: a fake artist goes to New York (with stick on the ground), (live-action) werewolf, two rooms and a boom, etc.
Rationalist Games: clicker, paranoid debating, etc.

Evening: Jam & Dance
Bring your instruments

***Sunday***

Afternoon: Apple picking
At Apple Jack’s Orchard, near Plattsburg
Departure around 12:00 from the camp site

Things you might want to bring:
-passport (for Canadians)
-water
-food
-camping equipment: flashlight, sleeping bag, tent, etc.

Before the event, we will contact participants to give more information such as phone number to reach in case you don't find the place, etc. In the meantime, don't hesitate to contact Mati Roy if you have any questions.

Note: If the event doesn’t reach at least 10 participants (which seems unlikely), the event will be canceled.