Meetup 2pm tomorrow

Philip Hazelden

Nov 28, 2015, 6:04:17 PM11/28/15
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
We'll be having our regular scheduled meetup at 2pm tomorrow in the Shakespeare's Head.

Hopefully, this week I will have had more than three hours' sleep the night before.

Leon Baker

Nov 29, 2015, 6:24:35 AM11/29/15
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
Relevant to the next meeting, not this one, but posting now since I'll
forget about it again:

Samuel suggested in conversation that we try the experiment of
rebranding as an SSC meetup. This seems nondeceptive to me on the basis
that we all heart Scott anyway. Would be interesting to see effect on
attendance.

Any thoughts?

Alasdair Pearce

Nov 29, 2015, 6:32:11 AM11/29/15
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
If it got Scott's approval I think an SSC branded meet up would be a good thing and would probably appeal to a wider audience like the HPMOR wrap party did, while realing back in occasional stragglers like myself.

Sent from Mailbox

Robert Easton

Nov 29, 2015, 6:33:25 AM11/29/15
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com

Isn't the main issue here where you publicise the meetup more than what it's called? Does publicising it on SSC require the rebranding?

Skrappy Cowdrey-Cuberos

Nov 29, 2015, 6:52:21 AM11/29/15
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
Concern:

Easier to disagree with stuff on SSC and go to a rationality meet up than at an SSC meet up.

Rikk Hill

Nov 29, 2015, 6:58:53 AM11/29/15
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
I'd be all for some sort of re-branding to try and capture that kind of audience, because 'Less Wrong' and 'rationalist' are probably not helpful labels at this juncture. That said, I'm not sure 'SSC' is quite the right label either.

It would help if there was a term for 'people who like what gets discussed on SSC, but also people who respectfully disagree with people who like SSC in useful ways'. But there isn't.

Maybe we should call it an Archipelago meetup, publicise it everywhere, and see if it catches on.

Philip Hazelden

Nov 29, 2015, 7:58:44 PM11/29/15
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
Followup: the shadow question I mentioned is at http://lesswrong.com/lw/lt8/stupid_questions_march_2015/c3i2