Diaspora meetup

Philip Hazelden

Dec 28, 2015, 6:50:25 AM12/28/15
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
We spoke about it and then nobody did anything. So here's what I currently plan to do before Sunday 3rd:

- Post to /r/slatestarcodex, lesswrong, and the SSC open thread, advertising a diaspora meetup, Sunday 10th January, 2pm, Shakespeare's Head. (Maybe also /r/rational and/or /r/hpmor? I think that would feel weird for me to do, and I'm currently inclined to trust that instinct.)

- Explain that it's the LW meetup, just rebranding to try to get closer to what we actually are; you don't need to agree with the stuff on LW, SSC, etc.; you don't need to think you're smart enough to attend.

(I worry slightly that someone will bring up this comment <https://www.reddit.com/r/slatestarcodex/comments/3x71fa//cy2fj10?context=3> and ಠ_ಠ at me. Not sure what to do if that happens.)

- Currently I think the weird food meetup isn't ideal for the first time - I'm worried that it'll deter people not so much because they think it's weird, just because they're not interested. Tentatively proposing we do this the 24th. So the first will just be general chat.

I'm open to changing this plan based on feedback.

Leon

Dec 28, 2015, 11:10:56 AM12/28/15
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
Appeal to Dunning-Kruger?

Alasdair Googles

Dec 28, 2015, 11:54:19 AM12/28/15
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
You could post to the effective altruism london facebook and meetup - there is a decent amount of overlap?(me for 1)

Sent from Outlook Mobile

Philip Hazelden

Dec 28, 2015, 8:02:28 PM12/28/15
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
> Appeal to Dunning-Kruger?

So I feel like this comes across as "yes, some people actually probably are sufficiently not-smart that we don't want them to attend, but that probably doesn't include you", which - idk, I worry that it still seems kind of elitist? I'm not entirely sure what I'm worried about.

> You could post to the effective altruism london facebook and meetup - there is a decent amount of overlap?(me for 1)

Good idea, yes!

Philip Hazelden

Jan 1, 2016, 2:02:37 PM1/1/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
I've realized that this clashes with the no trousers tube ride. So I think my current plan is to post anyway, but only show up myself for a short time. Can someone else volunteer to arrive more-or-less on time?

Robert Easton

Jan 1, 2016, 2:05:27 PM1/1/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com

I expect to be there and on time

Philip Hazelden

Jan 1, 2016, 2:17:44 PM1/1/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

le...@eml.cc

Jan 3, 2016, 9:19:30 AM1/3/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
Rob, did you make it here?

Robert Easton

Jan 3, 2016, 9:22:33 AM1/3/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com

it's next week, right?

Rikk Hill

Jan 3, 2016, 9:23:16 AM1/3/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
I thought it was next week too, but I wouldn't mind an impromptu mini-meetup today if other people are there.

le...@eml.cc

Jan 3, 2016, 9:25:56 AM1/3/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
Ah, drat. I saw "Sunday 3rd" in the original email and anchored on it. You are correct.

Rikk Hill

Jan 3, 2016, 9:26:44 AM1/3/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
Leon: if you don't mind waiting half an hour, I can join you.

le...@eml.cc

Jan 3, 2016, 9:27:26 AM1/3/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
I'm mistakenly here and will be here at least the length of a cup of tea.

Rikk Hill

Jan 3, 2016, 9:28:19 AM1/3/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
Drink slowly. And carry a big stick.

le...@eml.cc

Jan 3, 2016, 9:28:51 AM1/3/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
Sure.

Robert Easton

Jan 3, 2016, 9:31:11 AM1/3/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com

I can't come this week unless you're still there in several hours. I'll see you guys next week.

Philip Hazelden

Jan 3, 2016, 10:09:30 AM1/3/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com

I'll join you guys in a few minutes.

Mike Howard

Jan 10, 2016, 7:30:36 AM1/10/16
to LessWrongLondon
To clarify: there is a meeting today, on the 10th, 2pm Shakespears Head, even though there was one last week. Proof: https://www.facebook.com/events/1680834748826014/

Jessica Burton

Jan 10, 2016, 8:16:47 AM1/10/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
I'm on my way now!
Jessica

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Mike Howard <critic...@gmail.com> wrote:
To clarify: there is a meeting today, on the 10th, 2pm Shakespears Head, even though there was one last week. Proof: https://www.facebook.com/events/1680834748826014/

Rikk Hill

Jan 10, 2016, 8:45:14 AM1/10/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com

I'm here, stalking the big tables.

Philip Hazelden

Jan 11, 2016, 8:46:47 PM1/11/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
Thoughts about this meetup / did we gauge interest in weird foods?

Rikk Hill

Jan 12, 2016, 1:18:26 PM1/12/16
to lesswro...@googlegroups.com
Middling-to-positive? There was some question as to what "weird foods" consisted of. Suggested exemplars were the sort of things we've brought in already (miracle fruit, Joylent, MealSquares, etc.), and I think we'd all benefit from having a bit of a stronger blurb on the subject.