Introducing myself!

Pedro Carvalho

May 18, 2014, 7:41:40 AM5/18/14
to lesswron...@googlegroups.com
Hello! I'm...

I'm new here in specific though I'm not new to LW, I've been a member for about three or four years (I forget). I'm Brazilian and study Engineering, and I've been living in France for about a year studying at ENSTA ParisTech. When I came here I... was under the impression that there wasn't a well-formed group and then never checked again until the idea showed up in a group conversation with other LWers and I came here to check and... uh... yeah.

I'm not sure how this group works, how often you meet and stuff, and I don't even know what language you guys speak at the meetups (I somehow got a C2 in my TCF but I would definitely not call my French proficient level), or... well.

So this is a general "hello" message, I'm staying here in France for another year, and it'd be nice to meet cool people, and you can ask me anything and inform me of anything you believe I ought to know. Or. Something.

(I also have a tumblr! It's http://scientiststhesis.tumblr.com/ :D)

Cheers!

Maksim Maydanskiy

May 20, 2014, 12:22:44 PM5/20/14
to lesswron...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pedro,

Since no one has replied yet, I'll take a stab.

First of all, welcome.
The LW Paris group is rather small, at least the active part. Mostly programmers/students/researchers (I'm the later). During the academic year we had semi-regular small social meetups (dinner, games, conversation) every two weeks at Cite Universitaire. Some people live outside of Paris and can not make those, and surely some just find them not useful/fun enough to attend :)
For both these and the less frequent "larger" meetups the language is English. A fair number of people are from abroad (German, (US) American).

Not sure how the meetups will happen over the summer. (There was interest in seeing "Transcendence" once it comes out in France, but that's in a month.) But if you are in the group you'll presumably get the announcements now -- when one comes out do come say hello in person. You are also free to propose something :)

Best,
M.

Emile Kroeger

May 21, 2014, 5:44:45 AM5/21/14
to lesswron...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pedro, and Welcome!

Not much to add beyond what Maksim said, we usually have small social meetups every couple weeks, though we missed last week (I was out of the country ...), and I'm not sure about this summer (I'll be away most of June).

Cheers,

Emile

Pedro Carvalho

Jul 12, 2014, 5:49:34 AM7/12/14
to lesswron...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

So, I realised just today that I never actually replied. I kept putting it off until eventually I forgot :P

Anyway, summer's started, have there been meetups? Though I guess this is not a very good time for me to ask anyway, since I'm in London right now and I'm going to Brazil next Friday and staying there for a month, but oh, well.

When I get back I'll probably say something and take a more active and less lazy interest :P