Coming down from Pittsburgh, wondering about details for next meeting

Jenya Lestina

Feb 19, 2019, 9:04:21 PM2/19/19
to LessWrong DC
Hey guys! So, I actually live in Pittsburgh PA, but there aren't any good rationality groups near me, so I'd like to come down and attend one of yours. I'd rather not drive four hours for nothing, so I wanted to confirm details.

As far as I'm aware from reading the other posts here, we'd be meeting next on Sunday, February 24th, 2019, at 3:30 pm, on the courtyard of the Old Patent Office Building. If any of this info is wrong, please let me know!

Is there anything in particular I should bring with me? How long do meetings typically run? (If they're long, I'll need to arrange myself a place to crash.) Generally, what should I expect?

Thanks in advance; I look forward to meeting everyone!!

Philip Lin

Feb 19, 2019, 11:24:40 PM2/19/19
to LessWrong DC
Hi Jenya,

The meetups tend to run until museum closing at 7 pm. You do not need to bring anything with you; however, food and water are allowed in the courtyard. Look for the group with the Lesswrong DC sign.

Robi Rahman

Feb 20, 2019, 9:36:56 AM2/20/19
to LessWrong DC
Hi Jenya,

If you're interested in coming from Pittsburgh for the next LessWrong meetup, I might suggest making it a weekend trip and coming to the Slate Star Codex meetup this Saturday night also. The groups overlap somewhat and you could meet a lot of interesting people. My roommate and I are in both groups, and we have a futon/couch that unfolds into a bed, which you could use for a night.

Jenya Lestina

Feb 20, 2019, 4:35:27 PM2/20/19
to LessWrong DC
Hey Robi,

That sounds awesome! What's the brief run-down on what exactly the Slate Star Codex is about - I checked out the website and it looks interesting but I've never heard of it before, and an insider's view would be cool.

I'd like to crash with you and your roommate, if that really works for both of you. So we can set up further details, my email is je...@jenyalestina.com

I'm looking forward to getting to know both of you, and thanks again for the generous offer!

James Fadden

Feb 25, 2019, 9:45:31 PM2/25/19
to lesswr...@googlegroups.com, Jenya Lestina

Hello all,

During yesterday's meeting I mentioned an article I had read which
debunked -- my word but I think an accurate one -- the concept of
speed reading. This is the article to which I was referring. They
discuss many techniques including the Spritz program. Even beyond
the pros and cons of speed-reading it's an excellent article for
understanding the science of reading, written by authors who have
done considerable experimental work in the field. From the article:

"As we will see, research shows that there is not a unique and easily
learned behavior in which reading speed and comprehension are both
high. There are effective ways of skimming a text to quickly find
specific information, and skimming may suffice if complete and
detailed comprehension of the text is not a priority. Reading can
also be improved through practice. However, there is no quick and
easy procedure that can allow us to read a text more quickly and
still understand it to an equivalent level as careful reading. You
will see why this is the case as we review what is known about normal
reading."

So Much to Read, So Little Time: How Do We Read, and Can Speed
Reading Help?

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1529100615623267

James Fadden

David Smith

Mar 5, 2019, 8:45:16 AM3/5/19
to LessWrong DC
WHO WE ARE?
We are the best hacking group online, we specialized in all kinds of
hacking services, granting access to any database no matter the
security.

WHAT WE DO?
All forms or kinds of hacking such as UPGRADING OF SCHOOL
GRADES, REPAIR/FIXING OF CREDIT SCORE,ERASE OF
CRIMINAL RECORDS, SOCIAL MEDIA HACK  ETC

WHO WE SERVE?
Anybody who is in need of any hacking job irrespective of the location.

WHY CONTACT US?
For efficiency, reliability, accountability and above all no risk
factors.Personal attention on every case
100% CLEAN AND SAFE JOB WITHOUT TRACE.
contact email: REDEMPTION...@GMAIL.COM or text REDEMPTION with your request to +1 909 375 5075 (WHATAPP ONLY)