East Coast Rationalist Meetup Ideas

J. R.

Jul 30, 2020, 8:09:53 PM7/30/20
to lesswr...@googlegroups.com
Hi LessWrong DC,

My name is Jasmine and I'm one of the community organizers of
Overcoming Bias NYC, the NYC Rationalist group.

Since quarantine started in March here in NYC, we tried hard to keep
the weekly (online) meetups going, but we've been struggling with lack
of volunteers to provide content and decline in attendance. I sense
that in other communities the state of affairs might be similar.

I do believe that people would appreciate congregating with their
community members still, and the good thing about online meetups is
that we're no longer bound by region. I'm toying with 2 ideas:
1. Make the weekly NYC meetups East Coast Meetups. Currently it's
every Tuesday 7:30pm-9pm, but we can coordinate on time if this
doesn't work.
2. Organize a one-time East Coast "summer social" event with lightning
talks or unconference.

Since option 2 is a one-time thing, it could be something we try
first. But if anyone is interested in joining the weekly OBNYC online
meetups, I'd be more than happy to help you figure out the logistics.
I'm also sending this proposal to a few other LW communities in
Eastern Time.

Would this be something of interest for the DC community?

Jasmine

Dan Elton

Aug 1, 2020, 3:30:22 PM8/1/20
to LessWrong DC
Hi,

The Washington DC Lesswrong meetup sort of petered out last fall. The monthly DC SlateStarCodex meetup was going well but had to stop in March. To allow SSC people to socialize, they were invited to the "DC rationalist" discord that was created by G. Ray. [ If anyone reading this wants to join, send me an email and I'll send you the Discord link ]

Baltimore Lesswrong has been having weekly meetups successfully on Google Hangouts.

Anyway, I for one would attend a joint East Coast meetup, at least once, possibly regularly if time permits. [A few old timers might remember me because I attended 3ish OBNYC meetups in summer 2016 while I was finishing grad school]

Option 2 sounds cool but also sounds like something only worth doing if there is considerable interest.

Thanks,
-- Dan

timothy liptrot

Aug 1, 2020, 3:37:47 PM8/1/20
to lesswr...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I second Dan that I would attend such a meeting.

Also I think breakout groups are a must because 10 or more people in a voice chat is so uncomfortable.

Best,
Tim

Best,
Timothy Liptrot
Encrypted email - tlip...@protonmail.com

David Conway

Aug 2, 2020, 9:47:39 AM8/2/20
to LessWrong DC
I would also attend an East Coast meetup.

Also, thank you for reaching out like this.

James Fadden

Aug 4, 2020, 12:03:33 AM8/4/20
to lesswr...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Thanks for suggesting this.

I am one of the organizers of Less Wrong DC. Our last meeting was in
November and we had considered re-starting regular meetings in the
Winter/Spring but then coronavirus struck. So at the moment we are
on hiatus.

I can't speak for anyone else but personally I would be open to
attending a weekly meeting as you described. It sounds like a good
idea.

If it is choice between the two options I would favor that option
over the one-time "summer social" event. A weekly event would allow
more time to get to know the other attendees rather than attending a
one time event with people one has not met before.

James Fadden