Summer Solstice

Maia

May 5, 2021, 9:56:24 PM5/5/21
to LessWrong DC
Hey folks,

This is Maia. Some of you might remember Roger and me, from way back when we used to run the DC meetups from 2011-2014. We recently moved back to the DC area from the Bay!

It would be good to see people again, now that vaccines are freely available most places. I'm thinking of having a Summer Solstice event. Generally the way people have done it in the Bay is an outdoor picnic, with maybe some organized activities and festivities as part of it. I would want to keep it fairly low-key and low-ritual.

Would folks be interested? And if so, what date? The actual Solstice falls on a Sunday, Father's Day, and the Saturday before is Juneteenth -- so possibly we should move it earlier.

Another possibility would be to chat with the Boston and NY groups about doing a megameetup, but I don't know what people's comfort levels about large events are at this time. The rules in MoCo, where we are, still prohibit gatherings of larger than 50.

Maia

Dan Elton

May 6, 2021, 7:38:23 AM5/6/21
to lesswr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am interested. We should coordinate with the Baltimore LW community also (many of them are on this list).

Either 19th or 20th works for me.

An East coast megameetup for summer solstice sounds like a stretch given the limited time window for planning and pandemic related factors.

Regards,
-- Dan

Robi Rahman

May 6, 2021, 9:04:52 AM5/6/21
to LessWrong DC
Hi Maia,

Definitely interested, an outdoor summer solstice sounds really fun! We commemorate the winter solstice in the evening, during the longest night of the year, so an afternoon picnic on the longest day seems fitting for the summer solstice.

I vote for June 20th because I'll be away for an effective altruism event the previous week and returning the evening of the 19th.

Robi Rahman