Helping local teachers at our kids' schools

Shubham Mittal

Apr 26, 2018, 6:19:06 PM4/26/18
to Less Wrong Parents
Hi fellow parents,

I'm thinking about starting a non-profit for the community to help support great teachers & want to gauge interest levels. Would you donate $50 a month if you could choose a specific teacher to help pay their living expenses? The idea is to reward the best performing teachers at your kids' schools, and help them supplement their low salaries.

Please feel free to answer anonymously on this Google form. It would be really useful to me.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdt1_R_8IgLGao1YXyWMzAv7kc0ZmifWEaFC9nf15vee6lUeA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Thanks in advance,
Shubham

Davison

Apr 27, 2018, 9:36:57 AM4/27/18
to Shubham Mittal, Less Wrong Parents
Hi Shubham,

To further expand on my comments in the feedback form, check out the Center for American Progress (CAP) report about PA/PTA associations and funding policies. In particular, please note the recommendations section on page 14 that call for "regulation of parent donations to tackle funding inequality".

Abstractly, I agree with the CAP report's recommendations. Selfishly and pragmatically, these types of recommendations will more likely divert a portion of family donations away from PA/PTA associations and into targeted non-governmental programs to the detriment of the schools.

No good deed goes unpunished, in a sense.

Best of luck. Happy to discuss more.

Thanks,

Davison

Robin Lee Powell

Apr 27, 2018, 8:25:41 PM4/27/18
to Shubham Mittal, Less Wrong Parents
I would be very surprised if you could make this work legally, but
yes I'd be interested.