Books rationalist parents should own

Glenn Thomas Davis

Oct 7, 2014, 5:02:48 AM10/7/14
to cfar-...@googlegroups.com, less-wrong-parents, overcomi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

At the alumni reunion, I promised I would create and maintain a Google Spreadsheet of something like "children's books for children of rationalist parents" or "books rationalist parents should own." As I recall, this definition extended to books I should read to my child or leave lying around for my child to find.

As you can tell, I'm having a bit of trouble framing what exactly this is a list of. I may be overcomplicating things, and there's no particular danger, I guess, in being overly inclusive, but I'm looking for opinions/guidance on a couple of things:
  • How the list should be framed, as noted above, and inclusion criteria
  • What fields should the spreadsheet have? (Or should it perhaps be a Goodreads list instead? Examples welcome.)

V   L   A   D   T   H   E   G   N   O   S   I   S   M   A   N

           "The mind is not a vessel to be filled
                     but a fire to be kindled."
                             --Plutarch

G   L   E   N   N   T   H   O   M   A   S   D   A   V   I   S

Brian Kumahor

Oct 7, 2014, 3:00:36 PM10/7/14
to overcomi...@googlegroups.com, cfar-...@googlegroups.com, less-wron...@googlegroups.com, gl...@gdcreative.com
I'm very interested in this list. As my son is a voracious reader and I'm dismayed with what he finds in the school library etc.

One criteria on the list assist from whether it's fiction or non fiction (autobiographical, etc) is what age group kids it's appropriate for. I was lucky we saw the rape scene in hpmor before my kid did and stopped him from going any further.

Brian Kumahor

Oct 7, 2014, 3:29:13 PM10/7/14
to overcomi...@googlegroups.com, gl...@gdcreative.com, cfar-...@googlegroups.com, less-wron...@googlegroups.com

2 books I'd recommend off the top of my head.

A kid's non-fiction book called Problem Solving 101 by Ken Watanabe, at first my son wasn't interested and then one day picked it up and read it back to back like 5 times before he turned 6.

Current favorite his glued to is a fiction book with metaphors about not jumping to conclusions etc.. The phantom tollbooth by norton juster. Appropriate for preteens as well.

Glenn Davis

Oct 7, 2014, 3:41:33 PM10/7/14
to Brian Kumahor, overcomi...@googlegroups.com, cfar-...@googlegroups.com, less-wrong-parents
A kid's non-fiction book called Problem Solving 101 by Ken Watanabe

Yeah, I have that book. Great suggestion, I had bought it for myself but hadn't considered giving it to Heather.

G   L   E   N   N   T   H   O   M   A   S   D   A   V   I   S

           "The mind is not a vessel to be filled
                     but a fire to be kindled."
                             --Plutarch

V   L   A   D   T   H   E   G   N   O   S   I   S   M   A   N

William Eden

Oct 7, 2014, 5:43:47 PM10/7/14
to Glenn Davis, Brian Kumahor, overcomingbiasnyc, cfar-...@googlegroups.com, less-wrong-parents
There was a thread on the OBNYC list a while back, specifically a request for books for a smart 9 year old.

Many of the responses, if not all of them, were collected in this spreadsheet:

Brian Kumahor

Oct 8, 2014, 6:22:55 PM10/8/14
to William Eden, Glenn Davis, overcomingbiasnyc, cfar-...@googlegroups.com, less-wrong-parents
Thanks Will.
That's a very helpful list.

I've also recently seen a review of 2 kids' books ‘The Boy Who Loved Math’ and ‘On a Beam of Light’ that I want to check out.
They were reviewed for the nytimes by Nate Silver, author of the signal and the noise and famous election predicting data scientist.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/14/books/review/the-boy-who-loved-math-and-on-a-beam-of-light.html?ref=books&_r=2&

Daniel Kuck

Oct 9, 2014, 10:03:19 AM10/9/14
to less-wron...@googlegroups.com, cfar-...@googlegroups.com, overcomi...@googlegroups.com, gl...@gdcreative.com
Horton Hears a Who is really useful.

The story has 2 or 3 layers of perspectives to explore already. But more usefully it provides a context for a discussion about how your kid might test Horton's claims.

[Reposted because last time I only emailed with "Reply", not "Reply All"]

Tom Adams

Oct 29, 2014, 9:28:33 AM10/29/14
to less-wron...@googlegroups.com, cfar-...@googlegroups.com, overcomi...@googlegroups.com, gl...@gdcreative.com

Brian Kumahor

Jun 26, 2016, 6:54:06 PM6/26/16
to Less Wrong Parents
2 years later i finally read thru the parts of hpmor my wife flagged as inappropriate. I decided they were fine for my now 9yo and he finished it likety split. I'm trying to catch up.

So what does a 9yo do after reading hpmor? Well, one of them is researching the hell out of peregrine falcons (Harry Potter's favorite animal) and presenting it for a school project.

Robin Lee Powell

Jun 26, 2016, 11:22:48 PM6/26/16
to Brian Kumahor, Less Wrong Parents
:D

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 03:54:05PM -0700, Brian Kumahor wrote:
> 2 years later i finally read thru the parts of hpmor my wife flagged as inappropriate. I decided they were fine for my now 9yo and he finished it likety split. I'm trying to catch up.
>
> So what does a 9yo do after reading hpmor? Well, one of them is researching the hell out of peregrine falcons (Harry Potter's favorite animal) and presenting it for a school project.

Daniel Reeves

Jun 27, 2016, 1:45:42 AM6/27/16
to Brian Kumahor, Less Wrong Parents
Our 9yo is also reading HPMOR! She's obsessed with JK Rowling's
version and is pretty skeptical about Yudkowsky's version. Possibly
she's offended at all the jabs at the original. But she says the best
thing about HPMOR is that it's really funny.

It hadn't occurred to me to worry about anything child-inappropriate.
I guess there's stuff that's disturbingly dark.

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Brian Kumahor <bkum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2 years later i finally read thru the parts of hpmor my wife flagged as inappropriate. I decided they were fine for my now 9yo and he finished it likety split. I'm trying to catch up.
>
> So what does a 9yo do after reading hpmor? Well, one of them is researching the hell out of peregrine falcons (Harry Potter's favorite animal) and presenting it for a school project.
>
> --

http://dreev.es -- search://"Daniel Reeves"
Quantified Self + Commitment contracts == http://beeminder.com

Daniel Reeves

Jul 2, 2016, 3:21:22 AM7/2/16
to Brian Kumahor, Less Wrong Parents
Update: Apparently our 9yo is very old-school. She has gone back to
rereading JK Rowling's version unless we can find her a paper copy of
HPMOR. We used to have a small stack of them but gave them all away.
Anyone have any ideas where those can be found?

scott...@scottworley.com

Sep 21, 2016, 4:40:22 AM9/21/16
to Less Wrong Parents, bkum...@gmail.com, dre...@beeminder.com