Re: Digest for less-wrong-parents@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 2 topics

Glenn Thomas Davis

Jan 17, 2016, 1:03:00 PM1/17/16
to Digest recipients
> I remember a time when my father-in-law told me that elementary finance and
> law should be part of the school curriculum. And he meant practical aspects
> like what kinds of contracts are there, what kind of property, how they are
> enforced, default obligations and such.

I note that I have no education in such things (I'm an autodidact college dropout), and it's a hindrance as an adult. It would be great to educate myself and my homeschooled 9-year-old daughter in parallel. Can anyone point me toward an efficient source of instruction in these matters? (I live in the CA SF South Bay Area FWIW.)

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 9:15 PM <less-wron...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Gunnar Zarncke <g.za...@googlemail.com>: Jan 16 06:50AM -0800

I remember a time when my father-in-law told me that elementary finance and
law should be part of the school curriculum. And he meant practical aspects
like what kinds of contracts are there, what kind of property, how they are
enforced, default obligations and such. It made tremendous sense. Since
then I wondered how I'd teach my children those missing parts.

Maybe I should note that I am from Germany and yes, we get classes in
economy, but if I'm not very misinformed that is all more theoretical,
abstract and high level, nothing that would help you e.g. start a company.
Maybe it is different in other countries, but I doubt it. I have the vague
feeling that keeping the masses naive about such basic processes serves the
elites and the system in some way...

So I started talking about property, contracts and such constructions early
and with real examples. Today I see the consequences of my cunning
teachings. Watch the capitalism raise its ugly head:

My son saw himself motivated to clean up his room: His media time was used
up and he needed to fix his room to unlock more (see Sequence about Media
and Housekeeping) . It was overdue. Remains of lots of completed and
uncompleted projects littered the whole room. In most cases he solves this
alone but this time he chose to do "radio advertizements". He had hooked up
an amplifier to a loudspeaker in the living room and we heard: "Fun in the
basement - join cleanup and get a coupon for stuff for worth 3EUR - only
now!" (including voice and sound effects). It seemed to work, his brothers
helped and I saw them carrying bags of garbage outside. And also some loot.
But it also got a conflict in the end when one of the coupons should be
traded in for some earlier debt instead of for getting scrapped stuff. Was
that a valid use? Presumably the debt (which was put down at that time in
writing, yeah real seriously, in a folder called "contracts") was about
other used stuff. So reasoning that the coupon should cancel that debt was
comprehensible. But the But the creditor judged no, that was not what was
written on the coupon literally (of course there was such a coupon). Angry
the coupon owner pronounced his dissatisfaction and destroyed the coupon
and left.

How did this end? To be continued...
Gunnar Zarncke <g.za...@googlemail.com>: Jan 16 06:49AM -0800

Things may be different here in Germany or in other countries. As far as I
know crime rate has declined over the last centuries internationally
(except for some ups and downs of course). It is difficult to find long
term data internationally online but I managed to google these too:
http://ourworldindata.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/homicide-rates-in-five-western-european-countries-1900-2009-pinker-2011-jpg.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Burglaries_per_1,000_pop.svg#file

I surely haven't heard people being arrested for letting their children
play alone. Critical glances and questions definitely happen though if a 5
year old is happily going alone to the kindergarten (200m, no streets,
announced by phone).
I mean children with their gps phones are 100 times more safe if left alone
then 50 years back. Add in reduced crime rate there is definitely no
objective reason for fear - except for subjective and social conventions
and expectations which are often fueled by the media in their quest for
attention by drama.
Fear is the mind-killer. Switch of the TV and observe for yourself.
Enjoy life everybody!
Gunnar