Coming to a park (or community garden) near you

Magali Regis

Jun 3, 2024, 11:18:20 PMJun 3
to Lower East Side Gardens, NYCCGC list serve, Brooklyn Community Gardeners Group

bcc: community garden lists

I have yet to spot one in any of our community gardens or city parks. They apparently pose no danger to humans but they eat insects, mosquitoes and other bugs. m.

COMING TO A PARK (OR COMMUNITY GARDEN) NEAR YOU

🕷️ The Joro spider, native to East Asia, is expected to begin appearing in parks in New Jersey and New York City this summer. It is the size of a (large) hand – all legs outstretched – but the good point is that it delights in mosquitoes and especially spotted lanterns that the city has been invaded with since last summer. Now if only it also ate rats, it would become our friend for life.

more articles here:

Giant Joro Spiders Could Cover the Entire East Coast, Scientists Say - Newsweek

The Joro spider invades eastern US: How the insects are parachuting in (usatoday.com)