possible collaboration between MARG and Leonardo

Roger Malina ( rmalina@alum.mit.edu )

Aug 19, 2020, 2:21:48 PM8/19/20
to Leonardo Art Science Asian international network
colleagues
you are still subcribed to our LASSI art science india google group

i am pleased to announce that sundar sarukkai are publishing and
artscience dialog in MARG and there are discussions of future
collaborations where leonardo could be more active collaborators
with people in india and the indian diaporas

i trust you are piloting through the hurricanes of life- several of
my colleagues and students are ill with covid 19- we never thought
world war 3 would be an epidemic -i am calling it the 'coronacene'
since world war three is with a very energetic corona virus

if you have ideas on how we could strengthn our connections
we are all ears

roger malina

gomathy kailaspathy venkateswar

Aug 20, 2020, 11:18:35 AM8/20/20
to leonar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr.Roger Malina,
                              Greetings from Kolkata, West Bengal. I have been a member of this group for quite a  number of years  since Sharada  Srinivasan roped me in.
If we are into a World War 3 scenario fighting a Common Enemy: the Corona Virus, I would not call him / her/ it  an enemy but a HARD HEAD KNOCKER! The pandemic was the only way to Blow the Whistle and call to attention what we have done to ourselves. What then are the methods of Reparation?  Well, that all depends on what sort of Government we live under, many of whom we have chosen ourselves without knowing their true agendas.
In 2 decades we have more than ever ruined our Natural Environment, our essential  Natural  resources ohave been plundered and laid to waste and we are seeking more and more.
In India in the name of quick Development  for Economic Growth, our Ministers and their lackeys have encroached our most precious Forest Belt, to explore for mines and minerals below the earth,  Indigenous peoples, Wild Life and their Habitat can be dispensed without even a nod of the nod. Such are these leaders who ignore tens of thousands of petitions and campaigns protesting against encroaching into Reserved Forest Sanctuaries. When this is happening I wish Covid will triumph.
For nothing else immobilizes  governments than this invisible Virus that has invaded our earth space, all from within  our  very air space ;Pollution, Chemical effluents into flowing river, garbage floating in the sea like islands, Emissions of poisonous gases from vehicular traffic, choking citizens in cities. Burning forests for days on end, killing animals and birds in the blaze.
How else do you think Nature will react? Well Corona Virus as an Alarm Bell first and then maybe, if we dont make a complete change in our mental attitudes for acquiring wealth, power and position, then await another Blast that will this time won't give us a Second Chance!
Stay Safe, Stay Calm.
Gomathy Venkateswar
Kolkata

Jahnavi Phalkey

Aug 20, 2020, 11:18:46 AM8/20/20
to Leonardo Art Science Asian international network
Dear Roger (if I may), and colleagues,

It is wonderful to learn that Leonardo and Marg are initiating a collaboration to energise the art/science space in India.

I am a historian of science by training and moved back to India recently to lead the establishment of Science Gallery Bengaluru, a new experimental space for art/ science/ humanities with exhibitions, experimental spaces and community initiatives. We are part of a network of eight university-linked galleries across the world. Our building is under construction and we started programming last year with SUBMERGE. Our newest (and third) exhibition  PHYTOPIA launches tomorrow and will remain open for ten days.

We at Science Gallery Bengaluru are most keen on pursuing active collaborations with both Marg and Leonardo, independently and collectively where appropriate.

Rizio and I, with our colleagues, met (online) recently to discuss how we might pursue a meaningful collaboration and partnership which we are absolutely delighted to embark upon. Likewise, we would much like to explore a connection with Leonardo. Please let me know how best we might initiate a conversation to take this forward.

I much hope all our colleagues on the list will find the time to explore PHYTOPIA over the next ten days!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Warmly, and with all good wishes given our strange times,

Jahnavi

Jahnavi Phalkey, PhD
Founding Director, Science Gallery Bengaluru

Roger Malina ( rmalina@alum.mit.edu )

Aug 20, 2020, 11:24:34 AM8/20/20
to Leonardo Art Science Asian international network
gomathy
so happy to reconnect
wow unfortunately i agree with your analysis ! lets get to work
royalty fails, democracy fails, capitalism fails, communism fails, internationalism has failed
to anticipate and react to world war III the coronacene
roger malina

Roger Malina ( rmalina@alum.mit.edu )

Aug 20, 2020, 11:29:29 AM8/20/20
to Leonardo Art Science Asian international network
jahnavi
what a delight to connect across the ecospheres !
and yes- the new head of leonardo is diana ayton shenker-and
she will be discussing with rizio and her colleages at marg
on on we might collaborate

i am part of a group of post pandemic provocateurs
we are working on applying quantum mechanics to solve
racism and xenophobia in our societies and cultures
we will be doing a performance workshop at ars electronica in september

we look forward to making trouble that leads to slow provocations that
enable a system change in the ways that our societies function

roger malina

Jahnavi Phalkey

Aug 22, 2020, 4:29:29 PM8/22/20
to Leonardo Art Science Asian international network
Thank you, Roger. It is great to hear from you! I look forward to what Rizio and her colleagues have to say, and we will pick it up from there. The connections of purpose between the two publications are obvious and strong and I am happy to contribute to that mix to move things forward towards transforming the scene in India.

We are also showing (not a performance) at Ars Electronica in September in the Kepler Garden. We will, alas, watch it all at a distance as international travel is almost impossible at the moment.

Change indeed is what we need and I look forward to collaborating appropriately on projects/ publications as may become relevant going forward.

I do hope that you will find a moment to view PHYTOPIA!

Warmly,

Jahnavi
SCIENCE GALLERY BENGALURU

Curious about Science Gallery?

PART OF THE GLOBAL SCIENCE GALLERY NETWORK PIONEERED BY TRINITY COLLEGE DUBLIN

DUBLIN | LONDON | MELBOURNE | BENGALURU | VENICE | DETROIT | ROTTERDAM | ATLANTA

OPEN CALLS | TOURING | INTERNATIONAL