Leo highlights and annoyances as seen from a new user

Karsten Wolf

Jul 4, 2016, 8:37:05 AM7/4/16
to leo-editor
Having used Leo heavily for over a month now here's a little feedback.

I work on OSX 10.6 and 10.10 and use the same github leo for both with python 2.7.10, QT4 and anaconda python 2 on 10.6

The highlights:

+ Having a project with multiple files in an outline with is in my view the most important feature of Leo. Going back from that would hurt.

+ Greatly simplified the job of unifying several templates with identical header, footer and general structure via cloned sections.

The unexpected:

The mac version, in contrast to windows and linux, opens a window for every outline and Leo has no means to switch between them. This was an annoyance at first but now is a valuable asset. With the help of a window manager named spectacle (https://github.com/eczarny/spectacle) I was able to organize my windows in a very productive way.

So if ever the reason for this behavior is found, please make it configurable.

The annoyances:

I have set a lot of mac typical shortcuts and it works most of the time as expected. But

- Indenting (see attachment)
Selecting 2 out of 3 lines and doing either of 'indent-region' or 'newline-and-indent' or 'indent-rigidly' ALWAYS indents and selects all 3 lines.

Sometimes, I haven't been able to reproduce this, indentation cuts away a space of the following line, leading to a syntax error in python code.

I suspect it has something to do with newline vs. return+newline line endings.

I use @clean file nodes with newline line endings

- word movement and selection

forward-word and forward-word-extend-selection make it difficult to select a word, sometimes extending the selection into the next line when I want to hit the end of the last word on the previous line.

What I really need and, according to the print-commands output does not exist, are end-word and end-word-extend-selection.

- syntax check while saving files

This is more of a request. If Leo does not save the @clean node due to a syntax error in python code, a Beep() would be nice because I usually don't look at the log pane.

Keep up the excellent work. Leo is a great tool.
-karsten
leo-selection.png