going from output file line no. to location within Leo?

jkn

May 9, 2022, 11:21:22 AM5/9/22
to leo-editor
I thought I'd ask what is probably a newbie question...

Say I am using Leo with Section names to create an output file - a C file, say.

I run my compiler on the output file and get error messages which I'd like to fix.

But these are typically based on line numbers of the output file, not the structure within Leo. So how do you easily/quickly find the appropriate node & line in the message, to look at the error?

I have some ideas & experiences but I am curious to know how others deal with this...

Thanks & Regards,
Jon N

Edward K. Ream

May 9, 2022, 12:32:05 PM5/9/22
to leo-editor
On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 10:21 AM jkn <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
I thought I'd ask what is probably a newbie question...

It's always ok to ask questions!

Say I am using Leo with Section names to create an output file - a C file, say.

I run my compiler on the output file and get error messages which I'd like to fix.

But these are typically based on line numbers of the output file, not the structure within Leo. So how do you easily/quickly find the appropriate node & line in the message, to look at the error?

Have you tried Alt-G, goto-global-line?  Just select any node in the file first.

Edward

jkn

May 9, 2022, 2:47:06 PM5/9/22
to leo-editor
Hi Edward
    oh, that is great, thanks! I have the feeling that there is probably
a whole load of commands/features relating to this sort of workflow
that I haven't come across before...

Now also off to look for a setting 'bg colour to highlight current line' ...

Thanks a lot. Jon N

Edward K. Ream

May 9, 2022, 4:34:19 PM5/9/22
to leo-editor
On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 1:47 PM jkn <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
Hi Edward
    oh, that is great, thanks!

You're welcome. Nobody, including me, knows or remembers everything that Leo can do :-)

Edward

tbp1...@gmail.com

May 9, 2022, 5:41:51 PM5/9/22
to leo-editor
There are a lot of commands and settings, that's for sure!  One thing that i do is to have a set of buttons on every outline that execute scripts of mine that do actions that i find i do frequently:

- show current directory
- command window here    (meaning open at the directory in effect for the selected node).
- current directory to clipboard
- execute external file   (this means @file and @clean trees)

i can hardly imagine getting along without them.  I'm fairly sure I shared the first three in the past but now i can't find where  : (.

i also have added my own menus to the menubar with items that kick off mostly existing commands. adding your own menus to launch existing commands is fairly easy, as it turns out.  Just ask if you want help with this, or if you'd like any of these scripts.