Missing dependencies

Tiwo W.

Jul 12, 2024, 6:00:34 AM (10 days ago) Jul 12
to leo-editor
Hi folks!

I want to try Leo, but I'm having trouble getting it installed. I've tried this on Debian 12, Ubuntu 22.04, Ubuntu 24.04 virtual machines, and I am trying to install into a virtual environment created with "python3 -m venv".

First of all, PyQt6 seems seems to be required even for leo-console, but isn't stated as a dependency. This must be an error, right?

Second, after a manual "pip install PyQt6", Qt doesn't find libraries - starting with libEGL.so.1, if I install this manually with Debian's apt, the next one is fontconfig or something, at which point I'm giving up. The "Installing Leo" page says nothing about any of this.

Installing with Miniconda, or installing from the github repository, including a "pip install -r requirements.txt" doesn't make a difference (why would it). And by the way, I think leo should install with "pip install ."

I feel like I'm doing something really stupid, but I am following the instructions. Am I the only one to run into these issues?

Thanks!

Edward K. Ream

Jul 12, 2024, 6:21:17 AM (10 days ago) Jul 12
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 12, 2024 at 5:00 AM Tiwo W. <tiwo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi folks!

I want to try Leo, but I'm having trouble getting it installed. I've tried this on Debian 12, Ubuntu 22.04, Ubuntu 24.04 virtual machines, and I am trying to install into a virtual environment created with "python3 -m venv".

First of all, PyQt6 seems seems to be required even for leo-console, but isn't stated as a dependency. This must be an error, right?

Correct.

Second, after a manual "pip install PyQt6", Qt doesn't find libraries - starting with libEGL.so.1, if I install this manually with Debian's apt, the next one is fontconfig or something, at which point I'm giving up. The "Installing Leo" page says nothing about any of this.

I can confirm the problems you are having. My apologies.

I'll release Leo 6.8.1 soon and upgrade Leo's testing protocol.

Installing with Miniconda, or installing from the github repository, including a "pip install -r requirements.txt" doesn't make a difference (why would it). And by the way, I think leo should install with "pip install ."

As you imply, requirements.txt does not exist in the site-customize/leo directory.

However, "pip install -r requirements.txt" does exist when installing Leo from GitHub, and it works for me.

Edwar

Viktor Ransmayr

Jul 12, 2024, 6:32:28 AM (10 days ago) Jul 12
to leo-editor
Hello Tiwo,

Tiwo W. schrieb am Freitag, 12. Juli 2024 um 12:00:34 UTC+2:
Hi folks!

I want to try Leo, but I'm having trouble getting it installed. I've tried this on Debian 12, Ubuntu 22.04, Ubuntu 24.04 virtual machines, and I am trying to install into a virtual environment created with "python3 -m venv".

Until Edward has released Leo 6.8.1 to PyPI, you can use the same workaround I used to demonstrate the problem [1]. - That is:

* Start with 'python3 -m pip install leo==6.7.8.proto3' - and -
* perform a 'python3 -m pip install --upgrade leo' afterwards.

With kind regards,

Viktor

---
[1] Leo 6.8.0 from PyPI does not work in a new VM

* https://groups.google.com/g/leo-editor/c/xdM4trZbUoI

Edward K. Ream

Jul 12, 2024, 8:06:33 AM (10 days ago) Jul 12
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 12, 2024 at 5:32 AM Viktor Ransmayr wrote:

Until Edward has released Leo 6.8.1 to PyPI, you can use the same workaround I used to demonstrate the problem [1]. - That is:

* Start with 'python3 -m pip install leo==6.7.8.proto3' - and -
* perform a 'python3 -m pip install --upgrade leo' afterwards.

Thanks Viktor. That was the workaround I was thinking of.

I have just created #3992 for this issue. A likely culprit has appeared. We shall see.

Edward

Tiwo W.

Jul 12, 2024, 8:09:34 AM (10 days ago) Jul 12
to leo-editor
Thanks for the quick help! (And don't apologize, I'm just glad it wasn't something I did clumsily wrong.)

I managed to install from the git tag v6.7.8 both on Linux and Windows, and on Windows this has also fixed the appearance. So I am looking right now at a beautiful Leo window, just doing my first experiments with Leo (after a few years of wanting to).

leo-console - which I assume is Leo with a text UI - still does nothing besides printing a greeting; is it supposed to be run directly from the command line?

(leo6.7) C:\Users\tiwo\AppData\Local\Temp\leo67\leo-editor>leo-console
Leo 6.7.7
Python 3.12.4, Leo Console Gui (npyscreen)
Windows 11 AMD64 (build 10.0.22631) SP0

[two seconds elapse]
[then the program exits]