Leo's PyPi page will remain

Edward K. Ream

Feb 11, 2024, 6:57:39 AMFeb 11
to leo-editor
I have deleted the ill-fated 6.7.7.1 release from Leo's PyPi page.

pip install leo should work again as before.

Issue #3767 now suggests supporting pip install -r requirements.txt
as an easy way to install requirements from within a cloned GitHub repo.

All comments and questions are welcome.

Edward

Geoff Evans

Feb 11, 2024, 2:33:48 PMFeb 11
to leo-editor
Thanks Edward, I tried that and got further than I did 2 weeks ago.  "pip install leo" apparently works but when I then type  "leo" I get
Can not load the requested gui: qt
Then when I try "pip install qt" I get "ERROR: No matching distribution found for qt".  What am I missing?

Cheers    geoff

Geoff Evans

Feb 11, 2024, 2:34:20 PMFeb 11
to leo-editor
(Sorry; forgot to say this is in MacOS)

Thomas Passin

Feb 11, 2024, 2:59:32 PMFeb 11
to leo-editor
I don't know for sure about the Mac (why it would be different, I mean),  but you want to install "pyqt6", not "qt".  You should also install "PyQt6-WebEngine", for the ViewRendered3 plugin to work completely.  I don't know if that has finally gotten into the requirements list or not.

On Windows and Linux, installing Leo also installs pyqt6 (or pyqt5, which will also work; correspondingly you also should install PyQtWebEngine).  I don't know if it needs to be compiled  during installation on a Mac or not, but the compilation might not have worked for some reason.

George Zipperlen

Feb 16, 2024, 4:48:19 AMFeb 16
to leo-editor

George Zipperlen

Feb 16, 2024, 5:04:02 AMFeb 16
to leo-editor

Edward K. Ream

Feb 16, 2024, 5:16:32 AMFeb 16
to leo-editor
On Friday, February 16, 2024 at 4:04:02 AM UTC-6 george.z...@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks for this.  My guess is that Leo is already creating distributions correctly:

- Following Leo's installation checklist, I create distributions with python -m build.
- After uploading to PyPi,  pip install leo works as expected.

Edward

Edward K. Ream

Feb 16, 2024, 8:43:14 AMFeb 16
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
At last I see the implication: Leo does not need setup.py at all!

Before today, PR #3767 (easy install from GitHub) had a to-do item: restore setup.py.

Now it doesn't :-) Onward!

Edward

Geoff Evans

Feb 16, 2024, 3:06:48 PMFeb 16
to leo-editor
Thanks Thomas for the pyqt6 reminder (I remembered doing something like that years ago, but not precisely what ;-)
Now I get
"qt.qpa.plugin: Could not find the Qt platform plugin "cocoa" in ""
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. "

re-installing didn't make any difference.

geoff

Thomas Passin

Feb 16, 2024, 3:28:27 PMFeb 16
to leo-editor
On WIndows, installing pyqtx does not require a separate installation of Qt - apparently all the binaries needed are packaged with pyqyx.  From your error message, on the Mac it seems that you need to install Qt itself, apart from any Python installation.  If Qt has already been installed, maybe the cocoa plugin for it has to get installed separately.

On Linux the package manager usually takes care of the Qt aspects, I think.  At least, I haven't had problems when I pip-install pyqtx.