Use Lemur as a library?

kyle....@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2014, 8:20:39 AM1/30/14
to lemur...@googlegroups.com
Lemur brings a good bit of value in wrapping the aws sdk's for working with EMR and making interaction easier.

The command line interface looks convenient for integrating with shell based tooling.

What I'd like to be able to do is use Lemur as a library from my existing Clojure based systems - are there any plans to make Lemur (a jar) available via Clojars?

I realize that I can install the jar locally in my ~/.m2/repo or to another private repo (we do have an s3 backed repo set up), but I'd prefer to use official project releases.

Regards,

Kyle

Marc Limotte

Feb 2, 2014, 10:46:42 AM2/2/14
to lemur...@googlegroups.com

Kyle R. Burton

Feb 3, 2014, 10:06:55 AM2/3/14
to lemur...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply.

With respect to managing global state, what are the options?  Creating adding an additional arity to each funciton that needs the context - an optional first argument which is the context; or using a dynamic var, where users can set the binding they wish to use.

I haven't read through the tests, do you feel the tests cover enough of the core or would significant additional testing be necessary?

If I know what approach you're planning on, perhaps I can do some of the work.

Best Regards,

Kyle

Marc Limotte

Feb 5, 2014, 10:31:41 AM2/5/14
to lemur...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kyle,

Test coverage is reasonable.

Adding an additional arg to each function signature would be the better answer.  It's more explicit than a dynamic-var.  If you want to give this a shot, that would be great.

marc

Kyle R. Burton

Feb 15, 2014, 12:14:37 PM2/15/14
to lemur...@googlegroups.com
Marc,

With respect to the tests, do the tests assert internal lemur functionality or do they actually allocate AWS resources and execute EMR jobs?

When trying to run 'lein test', it looks like the tests require AWS credentials - I'd prefer to be able to execute tests without actually interacting with AWS.  Is that possible?

Kyle

Marc Limotte

Feb 15, 2014, 5:32:39 PM2/15/14
to lemur...@googlegroups.com
If you run `lein test` that will run just the unit tests, which do not rely on Amazon Web Services.  Most (all?) of lemur.core-test has only these unit tests.

Then you can run `lein test :integration` -- the integration tests do interact with Amazon.

And finally, `lein test :manual` will actually launch an elastic mapreduce instance.  This one doesn't run with the integration tests, because in the case of failure, it might leave your instance running.  So it should get special attention as far as running.

marc