Interactive Shell

Sha

Nov 5, 2017, 11:58:22 AM11/5/17
to lemon-lang
@zhicheng,

My pull request to modify interactive shell (based on linenoise) was rejected because:

1. It was not ANSI C compliant
2. It was modifying src/shell.c

You suggested that I create my own brand-new feature-rich shell.

I agree on all your points. I will make a new shell which is pure ANSI C and will not touch src/shell.c either.

My questions to you:

1. Do you want it to be in a separate git repo of its own? Or do you intend to merge it in the main repo if done to your standard?
2. Is it OK to name it as "ilm" (for Interactive Lemon)?

Thank you for your guidance, and for creating Lemon.

~ sha

admin

Nov 5, 2017, 12:21:02 PM11/5/17
to lemon-lang
You can't make an interactive shell in pure ANSI C, because terminal operation isn't in ANSI.so the shell.c in source code is just for demo.It's never intend production use.

but you can totally use shell.c's code make you own interactive shell with what-ever-you-want library, and you should do it as a independent project like IPython,also there's no ANSI C rule for third party library, so make a shinny useful and colorful interactive for yourself is very cool.

Thanks.

Sha

Nov 5, 2017, 1:52:17 PM11/5/17
to lemon-lang

On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 11:21:02 AM UTC-6, admin wrote:

You can't make an interactive shell in pure ANSI C, because terminal operation isn't in ANSI.so the shell.c in source code is just for demo.It's never intend production use.

I did not know that it is not possible to make interactive shell using pure ANSI C. Thanks for sharing this insight.

but you can totally use shell.c's code make you own interactive shell with what-ever-you-want library, and you should do it as a independent project like IPython,also there's no ANSI C rule for third party library, so make a shinny useful and colorful interactive for yourself is very cool.

Great! I will proceed with that plan.

Thanks!

~ sha