Munach

Jeremy Rosenbaum Simon

Aug 28, 2022, 10:13:08 AM8/28/22
to lei...@googlegroups.com
How many musically distinct munachs do people do, and where do you do
them? (Not including legarmeh.)
Jeremy

Avram Herzog

Aug 28, 2022, 10:45:02 AM8/28/22
to lei...@googlegroups.com
Fun question!
My munach leading into a revi'i, a zarka, a segol, and telisha are all different. And of course the munach leading into a zakef-katon (I was erroneously taught that munach as being the zakef and the ensuing note being the katon--I imagine many B"M students are taught that way).

While we're at it re. munach, does anyone out there pronounce telisha gedolah and telisha ketanah differently? I do not, but realize that since  t. ketanah is a meshareit and t. gedolah is a mafsik, they should be pronounced differently.

KT,
Avi H

S. Goldstein

Aug 28, 2022, 12:25:04 PM8/28/22
to lei...@googlegroups.com
This is how I learned it.
image.png

Avram Herzog

Aug 28, 2022, 12:30:31 PM8/28/22
to lei...@googlegroups.com
Hi R' Shmuel,

Is this list from a published sefer? If so, which?

Avi H

Jeremy Rosenbaum Simon

Aug 28, 2022, 12:39:15 PM8/28/22
to lei...@googlegroups.com
What about before etnachta?

Jeremy Rosenbaum Simon

Aug 28, 2022, 12:40:14 PM8/28/22
to lei...@googlegroups.com
Regarding telisha, i wasn't taught a difference, but at some point I began distinguishing.

Avram Herzog

Aug 28, 2022, 1:02:33 PM8/28/22
to lei...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy,

How do you distinguish? I sometimes sorta do, where the t. ketanah kinda leads into the following word, but I'm not consistent at all.

Avi H

Jeremy Rosenbaum Simon

Aug 28, 2022, 1:37:24 PM8/28/22
to lei...@googlegroups.com
I’m not musically sophisticated enough to describe it. But TG is up and down, starting sort of like a pazer, TK Is a bit more “flat“

Avram Herzog

Aug 28, 2022, 1:49:11 PM8/28/22
to lei...@googlegroups.com

S. Goldstein

Aug 28, 2022, 3:12:14 PM8/28/22
to lei...@googlegroups.com
This is my personal list that I used when teaching.

Avram Herzog

Aug 28, 2022, 4:31:33 PM8/28/22
to lei...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 12:30 PM Avram Herzog <avhe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi R' Shmuel,

Is this list from a published sefer? If so, which?

Avi H

On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 7:25 PM S. Goldstein <reb...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is how I learned it.
image.png

On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 5:13 PM Jeremy Rosenbaum Simon <jeremy...@nyu.edu> wrote:
How many musically distinct munachs do people do, and where do you do
them? (Not including legarmeh.)
Jeremy

Art Roth

Sep 1, 2022, 8:50:20 AM9/1/22
to leining
I was taught a different t"q and t"g right from the beginning (at age 12, when being taught for my bar mitzvah).
The t"q ends on a note high enough to lead into the qadma which always follows it.
The t"g repeats the t"q and then adds one additional (lower) note at the end that makes it easy to treat the t"g as a mafsiq.

Thanks for asking the munax question.  It's an interesting one that I've never thought about before, and I spent some time analyzing my leining to try to break it down.  It turns out that my munaxs can have anywhere from 1 to 4 musical notes, as follows:

4 notes: preceding merkha, mahapakh, darga, and a second munax that's followed by z"q.  All of these are sung the same way, so they count as just 1 kind of munax.
3 notes: preceding z"q
2 notes: preceding zarqa, etnaxta, pazeir, t"q, t"g, and azla geiresh.  The last 4 are identical.  The etnaxta and zarqa versions are each unique.  So there are three kinds of munax here.
1 note: preceding segol, r"vi`i, gershayim, and another munax that's followed by anything except z"q.  All of these are identical --- just an exaggerated accent that comes out with slightly more force than a meteg.
Final answer: 6 kinds of munax (not including legarmeh)

Here's one other observation that came to my mind while analyzing the munaxs.  Even though I don't consciously pronounce metegs, I'm told that my natural pronunciation while leining catches them very nicely.  However, I make one very conscious exception.  When two words are connected by a maqeif and there's a meteg in the first word (i.e., before the maqeif), I purposely do NOT pronounce such a meteg.  The reason is that in that situation, accenting the meteg would sound like a trope (e.g., merkha or munax), and I think it's more important to clearly demonstrate that the word has no trope than to convey the existence of the meteg.  Any thoughts on this point?

Art

Easton Y.K. Houle

Jan 4, 2024, 6:42:43 PMJan 4
to leining
In the trope that I learnt, there are 8 distinct Munahs:

Munah before Munah before Atnaht
-same as Munah before Munah before Zaqef qaton

Munah before Atnaht

Munah before Mahpak before Pashta
-same as Munah before Merka before Pashta
-same as Munah before Darga before Munah before Rebi'a

Munah before Zaqef qaton

Munah before Zarqa
-same as Munah before Darga before Tebir
-same as Munah before Geresh
-same as Munah before Gereshayim
-same as Munah before Telisha qetana
-same as Munah before Telisha gedola
-same as Munah before Pazer
-same as Munah before Yereah ben-Yomo

Munah before Munah before Segol

Munah before Segol

Munah before Rebi'a

Message has been deleted

Easton Y.K. Houle

Jan 4, 2024, 6:59:20 PMJan 4
to leining
I'm sorry to intervene with a correction, here, about Telisha Qetana. But you have it backwards.

For telisha qetana to connect to the following word, it must end in a low note, because Telisha Qetana only ever is followed by Qadma, and Qadma starts with a low note.
This is particularly well-preserved in the melody for Qadma we-Azla, which starts with such a low note in the East-Ashkenazi tradition that I've learnt and others that I've  heard.
The traditions for which Qadma by itself does not start with a low, I believe are mistaken or incorrectly simplified it in the course of its evolution, since in these cases, Qadma no longer connects with the next word in some circumstances.
Trust the rarer trope- it's not as often used and so it's not as often messed with. This is true with memory, and it's true with genes. Much that evolves- the longer the generation-time, the fewer errors.

In any case, all of my learning materials for the Ashkenazic rites, going back to the 16th century have TelishaQetana ending in a low note and TelishaGedola ending more flatly. Look at the end of page 543 and the start of 544 here (though this is far from my only sources for the Ashkenazic rite. I have almost all versions that have ever been published.)

Easton Y.K. Houle

Jan 4, 2024, 7:10:16 PMJan 4
to leining
In many traditions, Munah is the Zaqef, and the ensuing note is Qaton.
I am studying the tropes going back centuries to get to the bottom of this multiplication of Munahs, to figure out what happened. In the older sources, it seems that things were much simpler.

I personally think that Munahs have been added to the melody of the main te'amim that they lead to, and that this has been done repeatedly by mistake.

Easton Y.K. Houle

Jan 4, 2024, 7:12:21 PMJan 4
to leining
But forget that I said that.  I don't want to be sewing seeds of doubt.  Ah, why do I open my mouth before thinking?

I need to be grading exams! Crap, my break has gone on long enough. *runs back to his office*