Re: [leining] Digest for leining@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Michael Mirsky

Jun 30, 2022, 7:21:33 AM6/30/22
to lei...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean that the accent in ויצא is on the first syllable? That is called מלעיל Mi-l'ayl. Conversely, an accent on the last syllable of a word is called מלרע Mi-lra.

It is important to lain these correctly as accentuating the wrong syllable can change the meaning. The classic example is in פרשת וירא, when יעקב enquired at the well about whether the shepherds know לבן they reply that they do and רחל his daughter ba-*AH* with the sheep. Accent on second syllable is present tense, she is coming. Then three פסוקים later, the תורה says that while they were talking, רחל *BA*-ah, accent on first syllable meaning she came.

Michael Mirsky

On Thu., Jun. 30, 2022, 5:26 a.m. , <lei...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
"jaybr...@gmail.com" <jaybr...@gmail.com>: Jun 29 07:17AM -0700

Looking for the Hebrew spelling, with nikkud, of the trope on
וַיֵּ֖צֵא־נֹ֑חַ . Something like מאיילה. Thanks.

Jeremy Rosenbaum Simon

Jun 30, 2022, 7:31:11 AM6/30/22
to lei...@googlegroups.com
He’s asking about the name of the “ta’am”. It’s spelled מאיילא, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it with nikkud.
Jeremy

Avram Herzog

Jun 30, 2022, 8:27:49 AM6/30/22
to lei...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay and Michael,

I don't believe the question asked by Jay Braun was about mileil and mil'ra at all. He is quite familiar with that.
I believe he is asking about that particular tipcha, which is actually not a tipcha to begin with.
If it were a tipcha, there would be no makaf following it (as appears in some manuscripts), as tipcha is a ta'am mafsik.

The ta'am Jay is referring to is called a מאיילא, and is a ta'am m'shareit, unlike the tipcha which is a mafsik. So Jay, you were close on the name of the ta'am. I've only seen it spelled with an aleph at the end, not a hei as you wrote it.

Kol Tuv,
Avi Herzog

jaybr...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2022, 9:24:51 AM6/30/22
to leining
Thank you all.  Correct; I was looking for the name of the trope that looks like טִפְּחָ֖א.  Michael's point about ויצא being מלעיל is relevant, as it demonstrates that this trope is a טעם משרת; one never sees נסוג אחור on a טעם מפסיק.

In another leining forum, it was pointed out that Wickes spells the name of this trope as מָאיְלָא.  I looked at Wickes, and he provides an Arabic etymology from a word meaning 'inclined'.