September-October projects and ideas

leila johnston

Sep 28, 2013, 2:24:09 PM9/28/13
to leila johnston
Greetings from Iceland!

I've been here a week and heading off tomorrow. I'm sure you've all already been here, it seems everyone has. Probably best not to tell me. I've never been anywhere so the whole thing has been fun and interesting for me in a "pig in the city" kind of way.

HACK CIRCUS IS COMING.

There are still, technically, a few tickets left to HACK CIRCUS: TIME TRAVEL LIVE, taking place in Kings Cross on the afternoon of October 6th. I suggest you get in there immediately: hackcircus.eventbrite.com. To wet your whistle, I've put details of the talks and performances up on the website, too: hackcircus.com.

I still need someone to take Brodie for a walk on Sunday 6th during the event.

The magazine has been put back slightly but should be out in the next 2-3 weeks. I'm meeting my design/branding team in York upon my return.

TALKS

I've written my talk for TEDx Brighton (October 25th, London) and am going to start work on my Ada Lovelace Day (October 15th, London) talk tonight. I'll be talking about one-way heritage and the Millennium, at Brighton.

I've just been asked to speak at an event called Nerd Nite London in a few months, (probably about IBM tills).

Presumably based on my mysterious obsession with the Millennium and cultural time stuff, I've been invited to talk on a panel called 'Mapping Futures' at the Royal College of Art in Kensington on November 4th. It'll be hosted by my old compatriot Bill Thompson.

And if I'm back in Sheffield in time, and feel I have something useful to say, I might be speaking at the Sheffield Hallam design dept's Maker Day on the 6th of November.

But we are getting ahead of ourselves...

PODCASTS

I was interviewed by Henry Cooke for his podcast Unevenly Distributed, back in the summer, and it's just gone up. I talk about the tyranny of usefulness in tech, and how we should remember to have fun and stop thinking we're at school all the whole damn time:  http://t.co/89nGotv4qv

Roo and I are recording a special 60th episode of Shift Run Stop in London this Friday.

I was on the Pod Delusion (Resonance FM) last week with a sampler for my Brighton TEDx talk, ranting about time capsules and how memorials can be graffiti – http://poddelusion.co.uk/blog/2013/09/19/episode-205-20th-september-2013/

BOOKS

The spoof New Age guidebook I've written with Tim Warriner, The Inner Head, should be out in October. We're very excited.

OTHER PROJECTS

Keen to get back on the BBC BASIC horse this month. Not sure when, but it's important to have hobbies isn't it. I will make something. You'll be the first to know what. Among the first.

TEH SOCIAL

I'm in London for an unspecified amount of time from this Thursday, if anyone fancies a catch-up/just wants to use me to get closer to Brodie, etc.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have about 16 talks to write.

Gott kvöld!

L xxx