April-May projects and ideas

leila johnston

Apr 13, 2012, 9:52:38 AM4/13/12
to leila...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

So much has happened since we last spoke!

I can finally reveal my secret summer project. I'm one of the six technology residents being sponsored by Nesta (and others) to help improve art galleries, in exchange for immersion in a thriving contemporary art scene, and money. More about it can be found on the site happenstanceproject.com. So I'm now living IN SHEFFIELD and will be working at the Site Gallery for the next three months. Then I'll be freelancing from Sheffield for the following three months, and down in London from time to time for other things. I've been instructed to blog weeknotes and more from the Happenstance blog. Obviously, I'm going to try and find a surprising way of doing it to keep myself interested, so keep an eye out for that. Oh and I don't have the internet at home and am hoping to keep it that way. Replies may be slow.

On May the 5th and 6th I'll be co-hosting a celebration of the ZX Spectrum at the BFI on the Southbank, as part of the Sci-Fi London festival. It's called Horizons and is the baby of bespectacled whirlwind Paul Squires from Imperica. It's free, non-ticketed, probably quite slick since I'm not organising it, and I already have a dress in mind.

I'm knocking as many other commitments on the head as possible to allow myself to integrate properly in this wonderful city, and do justice to the Site Gallery. This means, Spectrum thing excepted, I probably won't be doing any talks or events in London or quite possibly anywhere else for a while. I do have a few events/talks coming up later in the year though, and Tim and I are taking #2012 comedy book project to the next level AS WE SPEAK, so more on that later, perhaps.

In the meantime, I'll keep up these newsletters if there's more to say, otherwise I might see you again in a few months. Stop by if you're in the area, and have a great spring,

Leila